Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, you will absolutely feel the 0.5 second difference initially. But there is little to no difference after 30 mph b/w your LR AWD+ and the P.

So is the networth hit worth it? That is the question.

It's funny because that's exactly where I want the extra power, 0-30 lol

But yeah, the question still remains...is that extra small kick worth about $8k?? As much as I'd like it, nope!

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Tesla will continue to come out with faster versions. This happened in the Model S many times. I would hold out for some improved performance version rather than taking the financial loss now.

(I keep hoping for a tri-motor plaid Powertrain option and 100kWh battery)

That is exactly what I'm waiting for...I know there is a high demand, especially now considering the fairly close gap between the LR AWD (w/boost) and the P. You don't really need 3 motors, just better ones. The P100D is an absolute beast and only has 2.

Why keep improving the S and not the 3?? MANY of us obviously like smaller cars...we just want more power...I want one point twenty one jiggowatts!! lol

Is it because they would need more/bigger batteries if they improved the motors, and just don't have the room?? Higher density batteries will fix that. Maybe they'll touch on that during battery day?

Come on Elon, wake up and give us a faster version of the 3. I don't think it'll cannibalize sales of the P90D and P100D...a lot of people just like/want bigger cars, and will pay more for the extra display and extra room, etc...

• Funny
It's funny because that's exactly where I want the extra power, 0-30 lol

But yeah, the question still remains...is that extra small kick worth about $8k?? As much as I'd like it, nope!

You have the exact same mentality as mine.

I'd much rather have the extra power available to me right from the start. So far, I haven't "lost" to anyone yet and I don't even have the boost. I've jumped the gun against Camaro, Mustang GT, and even a Hellcat (though I don't think he was trying).

$8K is a lot of dough at this point in time in my life. If need be, I may get the boost option but I'd rather save the money and actually get a Model S when it's re-designed sometime b/w 2024 and 2026.

Reactions: Siciliano
You have the exact same mentality as mine.

I'd much rather have the extra power available to me right from the start. So far, I haven't "lost" to anyone yet and I don't even have the boost. I've jumped the gun against Camaro, Mustang GT, and even a Hellcat (though I don't think he was trying).

$8K is a lot of dough at this point in time in my life. If need be, I may get the boost option but I'd rather save the money and actually get a Model S when it's re-designed sometime b/w 2024 and 2026.

The boost definitely works better than expected - there are a lot of dragy runs to prove it. I've gotten ~3.5s w/1ft rollout. Whether or not you can tell the difference from stock is debatable. I know it must feel different because once you get under 4s, every tenth of a second counts for a lot...but perception and memory are fickle things. I don't remember it feeling any different before the boost.

If you like the feel of the 3, I don't think you'd like the S. It feels boaty and heavy. Give it a test drive and you'll see what I mean.

Let's just hope for higher density batteries and upgraded motors, then we have a fighting chance for an updated P3D++ with ludicrous or insane mode.

If the hardware is better, I'd probably take the hit and buy it. If it's the same exact motors that I have now, and they just figure out a way to get even more power out of it (physical add-ons, and software update), give me the g#ddamn option to upgrade what I have!! :mad:

• Informative
Why keep improving the S and not the 3??

For one, there's a ton more profit in it.

For another- the S kept getting bigger batteries, more power, until... 2016. That's when the P100D came out.

Since then the Model 3 has seen 2 free power bumps, plus a paid one for LR AWD.

The S has seen... the raven upgrade in 2019, which is basically just leveraging a model 3 type motor into the S.

So the S is kinda due at this point for a significant upgrade... (and more visible changes to the S are LONG overdue)

Plus- especially with the Lucid Air reveal, the S actually needs the upgrades to remain class leading... while the 3/Y remain well ahead of any existing competition today.

And the last reason is the roadrunner line is a tiny development line down the street from freemont. It's physically impossible for it to spit out enough batteries to meet demand for 3/Y, but can probably handle demand for a Plaid S/X.

So on 9/22 you'll likely see a Plaid S. But you're not likely gonna see that tech in the 3/Y for at least another year or two (likely first in the Berlin Y since they're building their own battery production- then probably in Semi/Cybertruck in GF Texas, and eventually 3/Y out of Freemont when GFN gets a roadrunner line)

For one, there's a ton more profit in it.

For another- the S kept getting bigger batteries, more power, until... 2016. That's when the P100D came out.

Since then the Model 3 has seen 2 free power bumps, plus a paid one for LR AWD.

The S has seen... the raven upgrade in 2019, which is basically just leveraging a model 3 type motor into the S.

So the S is kinda due at this point for a significant upgrade... (and more visible changes to the S are LONG overdue)

Plus- especially with the Lucid Air reveal, the S actually needs the upgrades to remain class leading... while the 3/Y remain well ahead of any existing competition today.

And the last reason is the roadrunner line is a tiny development line down the street from freemont. It's physically impossible for it to spit out enough batteries to meet demand for 3/Y, but can probably handle demand for a Plaid S/X.

So on 9/22 you'll likely see a Plaid S. But you're not likely gonna see that tech in the 3/Y for at least another year or two (likely first in the Berlin Y since they're building their own battery production- then probably in Semi/Cybertruck in GF Texas, and eventually 3/Y out of Freemont when GFN gets a roadrunner line)

I'm still really confused why Tesla doesn't offer a paid upgrade to 2018 LR AWD owners (with P motors) to get to P3D-...??? It's a whole other source of revenue for zero cost to them. :confused:

P3D owners can't get mad if the upgrade is priced appropriately. I know I said I wouldn't do it if it's the same hardware as I have now, but it's better than nothing while I wait for a faster P...

I'm still really confused why Tesla doesn't offer a paid upgrade to 2018 LR AWD owners (with P motors) to get to P3D-...??? It's a whole other source of revenue for zero cost to them. :confused:

P3D owners can't get mad if the upgrade is priced appropriately. I know I said I wouldn't do it if it's the same hardware as I have now, but it's better than nothing while I wait for a faster P...

Because then they'd need to explain to the much larger number of 2019 and newer (including BRAND NEW or ABOUT TO BUY) LR AWD owners why they were sold cars with inferior hardware.

Which is not a conversation Tesla really wants to have with anybody, certainly not if all they're getting is the somewhat marginal revenue of a few thousand bucks out of some fraction of the relatively smaller number of 2018 AWD buyers.

Because then they'd need to explain to the much larger number of 2019 and newer (including BRAND NEW or ABOUT TO BUY) LR AWD owners why they were sold cars with inferior hardware.

Which is not a conversation Tesla really wants to have with anybody, certainly not if all they're getting is the somewhat marginal revenue of a few thousand bucks out of some fraction of the relatively smaller number of 2018 AWD buyers.

You're missing the point... we'd be paying accordingly for it. People buying new LR AWD would be paying less, so how could they complain? They would simply need to pay the same amount more than I would be paying for a P3D-.

But then I guess they would need to go back to selling P3D-, which also confuses me why they don't! I'm sure a LOT of ppl want the P without the 20" rims and upgraded brakes, myself included...

You're missing the point...

No- you are.

This has nothing to do with price.

It has to do with telling the majority of existing buyers they got inferior hardware compared to the same car in 2018.

Every time a 2019 990 rear DU buyer asks Tesla "Why can't I get this paid full-P upgrade like my buddy did on his 2018" they're gonna have to have a painful conversation with an owner who will be upset with the answer.

Even worse- it'd be telling potential future buyers they are getting crappier hardware compared to the same car in 2018.

The acceleration boost, very intentionally, works on both versions of the car. A P unlock would not.

You're missing the point... we'd be paying accordingly for it. People buying new LR AWD would be paying less, so how could they complain? They would simply need to pay the same amount more than I would be paying for a P3D-.

But then I guess they would need to go back to selling P3D-, which also confuses me why they don't! I'm sure a LOT of ppl want the P without the 20" rims and upgraded brakes, myself included...
Classic case of buyers remorse. You just got the wrong car. It seems you really care about the speed so the P3D was the right car for you.

• Disagree
Reactions: bryanbruin
No- you are.

This has nothing to do with price.

It has to do with telling the majority of existing buyers they got inferior hardware compared to the same car in 2018.

Every time a 2019 990 rear DU buyer asks Tesla "Why can't I get this paid full-P upgrade like my buddy did on his 2018" they're gonna have to have a painful conversation with an owner who will be upset with the answer.

Even worse- it'd be telling potential future buyers they are getting crappier hardware compared to the same car in 2018.

The acceleration boost, very intentionally, works on both versions of the car. A P unlock would not.

I see your point, I've had blinders on. Yes, in the case of current LR owners after 2018, Tesla would have some 'splaining to do.

Classic case of buyers remorse. You just got the wrong car. It seems you really care about the speed so the P3D was the right car for you.

It's not really that. I did not want a P...I've had 20" rims and would never go back. The price difference from the LR just isn't justified at all IMO for just rims and brakes. I wanted the P3D- which makes a LOT more sense price wise, and I would have gotten one in a heartbeat.

After months of looking I decided the difference wasn't enough to wait for a damn unicorn to pop up (I knew I was gonna buy the boost pretty much day 1 if I got the LR) - I wanted the car and my lease was up, so I really didn't have much of a choice.

It's really all good - I'm IN LOVE with the car, so I honestly don't mean to come across like I dislike it. I'm just usually like this with cars. Any normal person buying an S7 isn't going to think of how to make it faster...it's already fast as hell, but of course when I bought it I jumped at the APR tune. Although it's kind of a no-brainer in that specific case to gain almost 150hp for $1600. :cool:

I think the moral of this story is, the need for speed is NOT curable...but sometimes you have to learn to live with the symptoms and just be happy! :D

I got 3.83s again 0-60, but this time 11.98 1/4 mile... 1/8th in 7.72s @ 94.80 mph. I'm happy with the latter 2.

I looked on Dragy and your 11.98 1/4 mile run. It appears that you let off the accelerator at the 1000ft mark... Your car would run faster than 11.98 if you stayed in it. (so you were correct, you could have performed better)

Last edited:
I see your point, I've had blinders on. Yes, in the case of current LR owners after 2018, Tesla would have some 'splaining to do.

It's not really that. I did not want a P...I've had 20" rims and would never go back. The price difference from the LR just isn't justified at all IMO for just rims and brakes. I wanted the P3D- which makes a LOT more sense price wise, and I would have gotten one in a heartbeat.

After months of looking I decided the difference wasn't enough to wait for a damn unicorn to pop up (I knew I was gonna buy the boost pretty much day 1 if I got the LR) - I wanted the car and my lease was up, so I really didn't have much of a choice.

It's really all good - I'm IN LOVE with the car, so I honestly don't mean to come across like I dislike it. I'm just usually like this with cars. Any normal person buying an S7 isn't going to think of how to make it faster...it's already fast as hell, but of course when I bought it I jumped at the APR tune. Although it's kind of a no-brainer in that specific case to gain almost 150hp for $1600. :cool:

I think the moral of this story is, the need for speed is NOT curable...but sometimes you have to learn to live with the symptoms and just be happy! :D

You could always sell the 20's, and if you time it right, you can have a set of 18" wheels + tires delivered to your door before you take delivery of a P3D and you'd at least be breaking even (tsportline makes this easy with their inclusive packages if you like their wheels). just get the P3D or this same conversation will continue :p

lol you're right, maybe I shouldn't even drive it...the money is not really an issue, but thank god I'm really cheap!! :D

I put $10k down when I bought it, and that would basically evaporate between the typical "drive off the lot instant depreciation" (which is absolutely ridiculous) and the difference in cost.

I've seen races between the P and AWD w/boost, and they're pretty damn close. Not really worth it IMO. In reality I know myself well enough, and I won't bite the bullet unless something faster than the P comes out, but it will have to be M3 size because I really don't want a big car again. P3D++ ???? Don't think it'll ever happen because they don't want to cannibalize the P100D.

The roadster is a little out of my budget, but even if we had a really good year and could swing it, my wife wouldn't go for it because, well, 2 kids... :mad: I still want to test drive it whenever it comes out, even though it will haunt me. lol

If you've got the cash, hold off and wait for the newer Performance 3s. There seem to be some issues Tesla is dealing with with the current 980s (new part numbers showing up in the catalogue). A different inverter it seems among other things. I'm going by replacement part numbers I've seen with folks who's had theirs replaced or repaired. They've already issued a TSB for the Y for presumably similar issues. Good things come to those who wait. And If you're going to jump, jump all the way. Get the whole package (brakes and suspension). For now, try to enjoy what you have.

BTW, what became of your service visit for the DU noise?

Reactions: Siciliano
If you've got the cash, hold off and wait for the newer Performance 3s. There seem to be some issues Tesla is dealing with with the current 980s (new part numbers showing up in the catalogue). A different inverter it seems among other things. I'm going by replacement part numbers I've seen with folks who's had theirs replaced or repaired. They've already issued a TSB for the Y for presumably similar issues. Good things come to those who wait. And If you're going to jump, jump all the way. Get the whole package (brakes and suspension). For now, try to enjoy what you have.

BTW, what became of your service visit for the DU noise?

Yeah the current P just isn't enough of a difference in performance to justify the difference in price. I'm definitely waiting for an updated P.

As for the SC appt, it's not until Oct 5th. I made the appt a few weeks ago, and they STILL haven't let me know whether or not they will be fixing it. I'm guessing they'll tell me last minute... :confused:

• Informative
If you've got the cash, hold off and wait for the newer Performance 3s. There seem to be some issues Tesla is dealing with with the current 980s (new part numbers showing up in the catalogue). A different inverter it seems among other things. I'm going by replacement part numbers I've seen with folks who's had theirs replaced or repaired. They've already issued a TSB for the Y for presumably similar issues.

Do you know specifically what the issue is with the current 980's?

Do you know specifically what the issue is with the current 980's?
Seem to be mostly inverter related. A very recent MY TSB mentions the inverter as a problem for a certain VIN range. And the inverter it mentions as the replacement, is the same inverter in the catalog that's shared between the Y and the 3.
See post # 9 for the TSB in the link below. In the parts list, you'll see the inverter part number which is the same inverter used for a Performance 3 DU repair which we know uses the 980. Now, the Y and 3 uses different revisions of the same motor, but they share most of the parts including the inverter it seems.

Turnaround time for "Drive Unit" (aka motor) replacement

Obviously, there's a lot we don't know about the changes, but the TSB is the first real hard evidence that points to a known inverter issue. How many 980s this affects is unknown, but I think it's quite a bit of the early ones. Also, don't know if there will be a TSB for the 3 as well.

Last edited:
That TSB is specifically for a batch of 2020 Ys- not sure why you think it'd apply to any 3s let alone early Ps (if it did there'd be a TSB for them as well... not to mention early Ps got the exact same rear DU as every other Model 3 of the same time period- including the same inverter (which is part of the DU).

Reactions: MagnusMako
It's very coincidental that Model 3 980s are failing in a seemingly similar manner. One member posted the part number of the replacement part: SAME AS THE Y. Think of it as you wish. TSB or not, same failure point. Some failed at around 30k miles. So, it can take time, which sucks. We shall see how it unfolds. DU failures are one of least desirable failures,especially on a long trip, so they get my attention.