Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceptable to keep mobile charger from trade-in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick up my new MYP on Saturday and will trading in another EV. Since Tesla no longer supplies a mobile EVSE would they require that I give them the one that came with the car that I'm trading in or should I just keep it?
Keep it, you can use it or sell it. Tesla won't penalize you for not including the Tesla Mobile Connector since it is no longer included with the Tesla vehicle. Used vehicle chains such as CarMax may charge you a fee if the Tesla Mobile Connector is not in the vehicle.

Reactions: bburk00
Since Tesla no longer supplies a mobile EVSE would they require that I give them the one that came with the car that I'm trading in or should I just keep it?
I have two different answers, depending on what your real question is, which you have conflicting wording about.

The title of the thread says, "Acceptable to keep WALL charger"
but then your first post comment is referring to the mobile connector. Which is it?

So my answers:
The wall connector has never been an included part of the cars, so I would consider that as a separate item that would never need to be sold with the car. But the mobile charging cable usually has been an included item until very recently (and was included when you got the car), so I would consider that a normal and expected item to include with the car and would leave it in the car when selling.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I have two different answers, depending on what your real question is, which you have conflicting wording about.

The title of the thread says, "Acceptable to keep WALL charger"
but then your first post comment is referring to the mobile connector. Which is it?

So my answers:
The wall connector has never been an included part of the cars, so I would consider that as a separate item that would never need to be sold with the car. But the mobile charging cable usually has been an included item until very recently (and was included when you got the car), so I would consider that a normal and expected item to include with the car and would leave it in the car when selling.

I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title, so changed the word "wall" to "mobile" in the thread title. Like you mention, the first post talks about "came with the car" so it really couldnt be about the wall connector.

I mention I changed it, because, I didnt want your post to look out of place, and it would have now that the thread title matches the text the OP was talking about.

I've bought used cars which came with all accessories... (manual, tools, tire jack, spare tire, etc.) and I've bought used cars where some of these were missing.
I've been upset at missing parts.
I think the mobile charger that came with the car should be delivered with the used car.

I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title, so changed the word "wall" to "mobile" in the thread title. Like you mention, the first post talks about "came with the car" so it really couldnt be about the wall connector.

I mention I changed it, because, I didnt want your post to look out of place, and it would have now that the thread title matches the text the OP was talking about.
Thank you for adjusting it. I'm trading in a Mach E.

Reactions: boulder.dude
IMHO, if you leased the car then everything that came with the car should be retuned when the car when it is tuned in at the end of the lease. Otherwise, it is your choice what you include as a trade-in or sale.
That's my take. Tesla (or another dealer) would be within their rights to ding you on the trade-in value for not including it, but they probably wouldn't.

When I sold my '20 MYLR to CarMax last summer, I had the same question run through my mind. They gave me an estimate, and a week later, I brought my car in (without mobile connector). They did a quick-inspect and said "we can't find the mobile connector." I had to bring the connector back, later that evening, to finish the sale.

Not that my experience is definitive but... at least with CarMax, they totally expected it to be part of the sale.

The OP stated that they will be trading in a non-Tesla EV to Tesla when they pick up their Performance Model Y. Tesla will sell off the vehicle to a wholesale business. No way of knowing what happens to the traded EV. Certainly not the first time an EV has been wholesaled. Whomever gets the vehicle will have a way to charge it.

My experience with CarMax when I traded my 2016 Chevy Volt was similar. I pointed out that the Volt's portable charging cord set was in the vehicle. The CarMax appraiser noted this in his notes and told me that CarMax takes $600 off the trade in offer if the Volt EVSE is not in the vehicle. (This was the GM list price for the Volt's EVSE.)

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr and davewill
Reactions: Rocky_H
The link to the date, in the U.S. is here: