Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident while on EAP...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like autosteer was on until the last minute because it's pretty solid as far as steering goes. The car isn't accelerating or decelerating when you compare it to your surroundings. Unless you were steering. Another possibility, without autopilot cancelling out was if you had your foot slightly on the accelerator. This would have overridden any braking from TACC.

Also, 2019.5.15 and 2019.8.3 are pretty buggy, so who knows.

I actually see acceleration near the end. That should have been the point that the chimes start announcing end of EoP. Definitely looks like foot on accelerator to me. After all, it had happily been following for awhile. Not enough curvature to lose the sonar, vision, or road position.

Just to clarify in advance, this accident is completely my fault as I dozed off behind the wheel after a long day at work and very little sleep the night before, and it's my responsibility to maintain control of the car at all times, but I am concerned that the car didn't stop in this situation as is advertised in EAP features.

I was on a single lane highway interchange in relatively high traffic so speeds were slow, I'm guessing that we were below 30MPH as the airbags didn't deploy. In the attached videos, you can see that my Model 3 didn't veer in either direction to avoid the accident and it obviously didn't slow down. I think the glare from the sun might have played a role in not recognizing the brake lights of the Forrester in front of me, but I would think that the radar sensors would have picked up the rapidly closing distance between the car in front of me and my car.

I emailed Tesla, but haven't received a response yet. I am planning on taking the car in on Monday to get it repaired and I'm hoping they can download the data to see what might have happened.

My intention in sharing is that many of you will be more attentive when using EAP and don't be a dummy like me and fall asleep behind the wheel.

IMG_6296 - Streamable
IMG_6297 - Streamable
IMG_6295 - Streamable
Yes, please let us know what Tesla finds out.

I actually see acceleration near the end. That should have been the point that the chimes start announcing end of EoP. Definitely looks like foot on accelerator to me. After all, it had happily been following for awhile. Not enough curvature to lose the sonar, vision, or road position.
I thought this at first, but then looked at the fence to the side.

Reactions: Freewilly
Interesting observation, it does seem to slow initially as the car in front slows down, then speeds up when they do, but the car doesn't slow down again.

Is it odd?, AP2 has always sucked. Mine slowed from 55 to 45 on the freeway yesterday for no reason, I almost got rear ended.

Yes, I still find it odd. AP should have easily handled this situation.

I get the phantom braking events too. The "no reason" is 1 of many factors that are errors in the AP programming.
- The map data is incorrect and wrongly guesses the roads actual speed (This can be solved if Tesla would actually read speed signs)
- The car uses the incorrect speed from another close by roadway rather than the road your actually on
- The car incorrectly locks on to a vehicle in another lane thinking they are drifting into your lane
- The car gets an incorrect radar bounce-back from a sign or bridge
- The car momentarily uses the speed from that bridge

Really annoying (and dangerous). I don't understand why AP relies so much on the radar. I mean... there are 8 cameras on the car. AP should use the cameras (Tesla Vision) and radar together. But it really seems like that isn't the case.

I hope with the FSD computer and giant leaps in Tesla's Neural Net vision programming, that this will get resolved quickly. Because these phantom braking incidents are dangerous (even if your hands are on the wheel and feet right by the pedals). Your car is practically brake checking people....

Yes, I still find it odd. AP should have easily handled this situation.

I get the phantom braking events too. The "no reason" is 1 of many factors that are errors in the AP programming.
- The map data is incorrect and wrongly guesses the roads actual speed (This can be solved if Tesla would actually read speed signs)
- The car uses the incorrect speed from another close by roadway rather than the road your actually on
- The car incorrectly locks on to a vehicle in another lane thinking they are drifting into your lane
- The car gets an incorrect radar bounce-back from a sign or bridge
- The car momentarily uses the speed from that bridge

Really annoying (and dangerous). I don't understand why AP relies so much on the radar. I mean... there are 8 cameras on the car. AP should use the cameras (Tesla Vision) and radar together. But it really seems like that isn't the case.

I hope with the FSD computer and giant leaps in Tesla's Neural Net vision programming, that this will get resolved quickly. Because these phantom braking incidents are dangerous (even if your hands are on the wheel and feet right by the pedals). Your car is practically brake checking people....
Agreed, phantom braking is way different in this case, assuming AP was still engaged.

I would think that AP nagged and then turned off. I suppose it's possible to maintain torque on the wheel while sleeping, but seems difficult.
That would certainly explain why it seemed to slow down initially when the car in front slowed down, then didn't the subsequent time, after speeding back up.

OP, back to you, do you typically keep your hands on the wheel when on AP? Admittedly, I don't always, until it nags me. (Sorry so many questions, the former accident investigator in me is curious on this one).

Reactions: APotatoGod
NoA vs AP shouldn't matter. When NoA auto-disables, it reverts back to AP, which means TACC should still be operational.
Agreed, but somewhat goes to timing. If using NoA, then you would think AP should still be on as it wouldn't have enough time to nag, then shut-off if the OP didn't respond to the nag. If just on AP, nag could have happened and the OP missed the nags, which caused it to shut off just before impact.

After reviewing the video a few times, it does look like AP was still active.

Vehicle 1 (the OP's vehicle), was still perfectly centred in his lane around a bend in the road. If AP disengaged then vehicle 1 would have ceased to follow the curve in the road and would have proceeded straight into the guardrail rather than into vehicle 2.

Additionally, since vehicle 1's driver (the OP), claims to have dosed off, AP would have begun beeping like crazy before disengaging, thus arousing the OP from his slumber. AP doesn't just disengage without warning.

From the evidence I can see at this time, this looks like a failure of the AP system. The only thing that could change this determination would be additional data showing that the driver of vehicle 1 hit the accelerator before impact. But I don't believe this to be the case as there is no video evidence showing that vehicle 1 lurched forward from an unexpected accelerator hit.

Sorry.. previous Police and private investigator here. These are observations from my professional opinion. I could be wrong with additional information presented.. but I think my determination is correct.