TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Accidental charge to 100%?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Halcyon, May 31, 2018.

1. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Not sure if this has happened to anyone. My car has not been driven in a week and when I come back, it was charged to 100% and have no idea when this happened. I did not set it to this level on the app or the car, however the MCU needed a reboot. When the MCU crashes and is not rebooted, does the car automatically charge to 100% while plugged in?

2. RedMS

RedMS Member

That is strange. Your battery is going to be fine. It’s not preferable to keep the battery full for extended period but I doubt this one time will have and effect

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I've had a couple of 'overcharges' but not to 100%. I've got it set to 80% and it's gone to 83 or a little higher several times. Once from a rogue firmware install and once when the servers were down. Can't figure why in either case. Now I reboot the MCU after all firmware installs, to be safe.

As was said, going to 100 once and not staying there for hours and days won't do any harm. If you make a habit of it (weeks and weeks), it's when it will hurt. You can drive it down to 90 or less to get back to where you want it to be, or just let the car's vampire drain eat it up (which may take sometime). May be better to run it down to 95 or 90 and then let vampire do the rest.

As for your question, there is no default setting, and something must have just said 'start charging'.

4. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Thanks - that's a good idea on resetting after firmware installs. The MCU crashes are annoying because it doesn't let me summon the car out of the garage. It could have been at 100% for a week or a day. I'm guessing somewhere in the middle.

5. boaterva

What firmware are you on and how old is the car? Crashes seem to be a 'feature' of the new MCU2, but hopefully newer firmware(s) are fixing that!

6. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

On MCU1 unfortunately. On 2018.18 and early 2017 build.

Curious how frequent crashing is for us MCU1 folks. Mine seems to do it every 2-3 months or so.

7. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Over a long period of time it would have an effect but not 1 time.

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

Due to vampire drain, I would guess it was only at 100% for a few hours. Of course it could've charged to 100% a few days ago but then it would've drained down a few percentage points and then charged back up to 100% before you noticed it.

9. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

It was plugged in the entire time unfortunately.

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

It will still have vampire drain. It would charge to 100% and then drop to 97% or so before charging to 100% again. Therefore it wouldn't have been at 100% for a week.

11. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

That's a lot of crashes...my S had it happen maybe once in 3 years.

My X with new MCU crashed once but it was a known issue that has been fixed with an update...supposedly....

12. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

I have no idea what's normal. It's never crashed while I've been driving.

13. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

No idea. My 2.5 mo MX100 (MCU1) has never crashed.

14. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

I usually try to check in with the app every couple days when I'm away. Maybe for next time. I wouldn't worry about the battery it will be fine over such a relatively short period.

15. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

Take it for a drive.

16. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Tesla should modify the onboard software to only use the 100% charge level setting for a single charging session, and then automatically reset the charge level back to 90% after that.

When leaving for a road trip, I set the car to 100% one time to get max charge for the first leg of the trip - and forget to lower the level to 90%, so the first overnight charge was to 100%...

17. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

That would not be my choice. When I am at home, I charge to 70%. If I take a road trip (multiple supercharger stops each way), I set it to 100% for the duration of the trip and forget about it. Mainly to maximize the supercharger duration while eating lunch somewhere. A somewhat passive means to avoid idle penalties. My travel rarely allows an overnight charge at the destination.

18. boaterva

Yeah, I’d like a way to have a permanent ‘normal charge setting’ (80) and then when you move it to 100 or 95 or something, it would spring back to 80 for the next charge unless you change it. Or have ones based on location for trips, or something a little more ‘smarter’.

As for the crashes, my X has never crashed while in use. It’s deep-sleeped when I didn’t expect it to, once or twice. I mentioned the overcharges, but the MCU never crashed on ‘its own’ (MCU1, of course).

TeslaFi does have settings for reminders for unplugged, if you are under this level, and if you are over this level, which can be set for any time of day, by location, etc. I’ve not used all of the options in the new Schedules and Reminder section, but James is constantly adding new features to it.