Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally drove Model 3 through garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least churin admits that the accelerator was pressed by mistake so we don't have to suffer through another "the car accelerated by itself" thread.
Yeap, I give him credit for coming clean and changing the title. It sucks for Churin and can happen to any of us. Some good advice in this thread for new owners.....creep mode and chill mode on until you get used to the car.

Reactions: IdaX
I don't think the sensors could see a garage door that was 2/3 up, so any kind of "don't run into stuff" programming would have failed in this case. I have the obstacle aware acceleration thing turned on myself, but I wouldn't count on that for everything.

Soooo YOU drove your car into a garage and want Tesla to be responsible for overriding your input into the garage. This seems like something that would be disliked by the entire public. For a car to decide when and where your pedal application is valid enough for it to allow? That's very big brother. Maybe next time you pay attention to the pedal you're pressing.

FWIW, I've had many many MANY cars, and I've never ONCE applied pressure to the wrong pedal. But if I did, I wouldn't blame the car. *smh

My Tesla Model 3 let itself break through garage door. Why it could not stop itself instead?
Is it not yet ready for that much capability for driver assistance?
So sorry for your mishap. You would not have encountered the problem if you had purchased an available software option for your Model 3. Perhaps you have the option and it was not engaged. It comes standard on a Model X. Go to your control panel and look for the entry "Engage regenerative braking". Right below that entry, if you purchased the option, you will see an entry that allows you to "Engage regenerative garage door". It a great option. I've made a point of not bumping into my garage door, but if I do, I have "engage regenerative garage door" activated at all times. I'm sure it works.

Sorry that happened.

I noticed in my S while at a stop light my foot slipped and was on both the accelerator and brake pedal. I received a warning on my display. I’m pretty sure the car also logged the issue. Hope the 3 can do the same.

However the warning I received for pressing both. I recall hearing the radar has trouble detecting stationary objects and the parking sensors only work well at low speeds so I don’t think the Tesla is ready to warn us if accelerating into a wall rather than braking.

I don't get the impression reading the OP's follow up comments that he's trying to blame Tesla. He willingly admitted that it was his mistake.
I think he's asking if there are any systems that should of or could have prevented his mishap. At least that's what I'm more interested in at this point.

I'm more curious if this event is something that Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is supposedly able to prevent? What do we know about how this feature is supposed to work and what limitations does it have? Has anybody been able to test it to see that it works? It would be nice to know if that system has limitations, what they are. The manual states that the car has to be stopped or moving less than 10mph, be in drive or reverse, and detect an obstacle directly in it's path.

My guess is because he was either decelerating from driving and/or possibly still going over 10mph that the system wasn't activated.
Although its still possible that the door was too high for the sensors. (The door wasn't 2/3rds of the way up as the nose of his car definitely hit the door, so it should have been close... but maybe it was too high)

Reactions: ohmman
I don't get the impression reading the OP's follow up comments that he's trying to blame Tesla. He willingly admitted that it was his mistake.
I think he's asking if there are any systems that should of or could have prevented his mishap. At least that's what I'm more interested in at this point.
I agree. This thread initially read as a “my car drove itself into something” but OP has owned his part in it and even had the mods change the title. I’m sorry for teasing you Churin and am sorry this happened to you.

So, control of the vehicle is not programmed to avoid collision under the circumstance. Car only signals driver that it is approaching an object(s).
It can be programmed to stop even under slow moving situation. And the control can be defaulted for OFF which can optionally be turned on. Ignoring warning could result in serious accident or life threatening. Problem is if it fails to warn or driver does not realize ignoring warning.

Here is how the incident happened:
I turned the car into my driveway and started regenerative braking. I realized that rate of the deceleration was not high enough so that I pressed a pedal. But unfortunately it was a wrong pedal. I do not think there was warning before and after the pedal was pressed.

Performing 0 to 60 tests or 60 to 0 tests in your driveway is not recommended.

I thought based on many tests this simply just doesnt work. Tesla probably needs more data to perfect this

Obstacle-aware acceleration absolutely does work - you'll notice in certain situations you'll be slower off the line - particularly when there is a motorcycle or other vehicle close to your car (triggering the proximity sensors) as you accelerate. I've noticed it once. However, it would do nothing to prevent the situation mentioned here.

I'm more curious if this event is something that Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is supposedly able to prevent? What do we know about how this feature is supposed to work and what limitations does it have? Has anybody been able to test it to see that it works? It would be nice to know if that system has limitations, what they are. The manual states that the car has to be stopped or moving less than 10mph, be in drive or reverse, and detect an obstacle directly in it's path.

Obstacle-aware acceleration is not intended to stop you from hitting things! That is not what it is for. See page 88 of the Owner's Manual. "For example, Model 3, while parked in front of a closed garage door with the Drive gear engaged, detects that you have pressed hard on the accelerator pedal. Although Model 3 still accelerates and hits the garage door, the reduced torque may result in less damage." In this case, as others have mentioned, due to door position, it's possible that the car did not even see the garage door. Or, it's possible that the feature worked great, and is the reason the OP didn't bury the vehicle in the far end wall of the garage.

Last edited:
Well, I actually kinda sorta side with OP here.

A car with this much technology should be able to see that it's about to hit an object and activate emergency braking. I've seen other cars do it - it's also part of a pedestrian safety system. It's definitely doable but Tesla is too busy adding fart mode and "advanced" summon...
Which car does this while the driver is actively pressing the accelerator? I just did a search and every manufacturer I found says that pressing the accelerator will override automatic emergency braking. But I don't pretend that I've exhausted all avenues, so maybe you can expand on the ones you're talking about.

I still maintain that the sensor technology is not yet at the point where we can rely on it over human input.

Which car does this while the driver is actively pressing the accelerator? I just did a search and every manufacturer I found says that pressing the accelerator will override automatic emergency braking. But I don't pretend that I've exhausted all avenues, so maybe you can expand on the ones you're talking about.

I still maintain that the sensor technology is not yet at the point where we can rely on it over human input.

Subaru EyeSight will do this pretty reliably. If you try and gun it into a garage door it won’t move.

Personally, I don’t want that in case I need to ram through the door to escape zombies.

Subaru EyeSight will do this pretty reliably. If you try and gun it into a garage door it won’t move.
According to Subaru:
If the driver mistakenly selects drive instead of reverse when the car is stopped or traveling very slowly, and EyeSight detects an object in front of the car, Pre-collision Throttle Management emits warnings, flashes the lamp and restricts engine output. This may help the driver avoid a nasty mishap at the front.

* The system may not be activated depending on the shape or visibility of walls or objects in front of the car.
That sounds reasonably similar to what Tesla has implemented. Though I recognize descriptions are merely that.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r
An actual conversation I had with my 29yr old girlfriend after she drove my car.

Girlfriend "A trailer hit the back of your car"
Me "Did you get the guys insurance?"
Girlfriend "No, he was not around"
Me "So you backed into a trailer?"
Girlfriend "Nope, I was backing up and it was in my way"
Me "Didn't you look at the camera?"
Girlfriend "Nope, I use the mirrors"
Me "What about the parking sensor beeps?"
Girlfriend "I thought they always beeped when in reverse"
Me "Yep, it was definitely the trailers fault"

This sounds like something that happened to me about 5 years ago, when the front of my 5 Dodge Neon got banged up on the bumper of the Jeep in front of me. The Jeeps' woman driver stopped short on a very tight blind curve to not hit someone (another woman driver) pulling out of a very well hidden driveway. What idiot would buy a house with a dangerous driveway like that in the first place?

My version of the events was not that I rear ended her Jeep, but rather that she caused me to hit the back of her Jeep, resulting in minor damage.:rolleyes: I've been an ace pro master driver for years, so I find it hard to believe that I was somehow at fault.