TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Acronyms for NOOBS?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Aardvark, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Some of us come from disciplines which have acronyms in common use. We succeed in alienating and/or disinforming people by using our "exclusive" language.

It might help NOOBS (this is my first post), if there was a posting of the meaning of acronyms:

SOC means? "standard of care" (I know that's not it)

UMC means? "unrealized manual candle" (ditto)

I hope that this is meaningful. Much of what I read is not meaningful, until I Google the acronyms used.

Just a thought.....

2. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Welcome to the TMC.

That might be a great wiki post. I wouldn't limit it to the Battery and Charging section of the forums. We chat about ICE, P85, SSL, SC, VIN, etc.

3. AC1K

AC1K Member

just off the top of my head, i could be wrong

SOC - State of Charge (high SOC is like 100% and most lithium batteries are stressed at max capacity which is why tesla recommends charging only what you need for daily driving)
    UMC - Universal mobile connector (your travel adapter with the multiple ends)
    HPWC - High powered wall connector (a permanent installed wall power cable that can supply 240v @ 80A or ~20kW)
    Broder/brodering/brodered - a verb to describe the act of intentionally discharging the car until voltage cutoff and damaging your battery pack
    ICE - Internal combustion engine
    ICE'd - an internal combustion engine powered vehicle parking in an EV/Hybrid only parking spot
    SC - Super charger, Tesla's high powered EVSE
    EVSE - Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment (public EV charging station)
    EV - Electric Vehicle
    P85 - Performance 85kW
    HEV - Hybrid Electric Vehicle
    BEV - Battery electric Vehicle
    PHEV - Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

5. mark

mark Member

SC is also often used to mean service center

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Ironically, that is another TLA. (Three Letter Acronym)

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#8 brianman, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    "Tesla Motors Club"

Not to be confused with "TM", "Tesla Motors".

- - - Updated - - -

"P85+ - Performance 85 kWh with the (new for 2013!) Plus Package"

- - - Updated - - -

EVER = same as EREV

- - - Updated - - -

My understanding is that the former is the Roadster device and the latter is the Model S device. I don't know what they will call the Model X device.

- - - Updated - - -

Most use S85 to refer to the non-performance 85 kWh flavor.
    A few use S85 to indicate Signature 85 kWh flavor.

It's all very confusing and I don't think we have a consistent abbreviation for "Signature Performance 85 kWh" (SP85? S85P? P85S?). As for the +, it doesn't exist in the Sigs produced in North America. Sig deliveries outside of North America are in the early stages, so it will be interesting to see what people call the + enhanced ones as they get delivered.

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't acronyms but they get used a lot so it might be worth making note...

Range
    • Ideal: Tesla nomenclature for range when going a steady 55mph on flat road with no appreciable climate impact on efficiency. For the 85 kWh, a 100% charge has an Ideal range of 300 miles.
    • Rated: Tesla nomenclature for range using the EPA 5-cycle test. For the 85 kWh, a 100% charge has a Rated range of 265 miles.
    • Projected: Surfacing in varied forms across firmware versions, this indicates a predicted range based on driving history looking back 5, 15, or 30 miles.

Charge limits

SOC 4.4- firmware 4.5+ firmware
    50-90% Daily
    93% Standard
    100% Range Trip

9. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

The most confusing is "Tesla Model S Signature Performance 85 Plus" and "Tesla Model S Standard 85"

10. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Is there actually a signature performance plus? I thought plus was pretty recent.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In Europe, I presumed there would be.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

That would be the EU Tesla Model S Signature Performance 85 Plus. Not to be confused with the right-hand drive version.