Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Spoiler - transplant from older X? Will software see it? Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Active Spoiler - transplant from older X? Will software see it? Ideas?

I bought my 2022 Plaid X not realizing the spoiler is STATIC. Shame on me. I am almost disgusted with it's fixed position, and the fact that it USED TO BE active.

Anyone done a transplant?

Any aftermarket you've seen?

Thoughts? Opinions? Emotions?

This thing is so, so nasty (in a good way)

1659462025532.png

1659462054747.png

1659462064855.png

Either you want to look like an Audi A7 or you don't. If you want to own a Model X, embrace the always-up spoiler. Or buy a very old X from the days when when they got the retractable feature right. Not optimistic for new cars. To get it to to work you would have to hack the software, and most hacks like that mean either your awesome new 'feature' could go away again without warning, or you will never get a new update again. How bad do you want this?

Reactions: m5james
I’ve been coming to this site for years but just finally made an account today to tell you that there is hope!

In the fall of 2017, I was visiting Crater Lake in Oregon, when I saw two Model X's with Autopilot HW2. However, one of them was unique in that it had an active spoiler, from the older HW1 cars. We located the owner who'd also driven up from the Bay Area with his friend's family in the other HW2 Model X. He told us that they noticed a 15 mile(or 15% I don't remember it was long ago) difference in range between the two cars, favoring the active spoiler.

But the important part, how got the active spoiler on the newer car. Tesla actually did it for him! He originally had an older Model X, but due to it's many issues ("many more" I should say as most early Model X had many issues) Tesla bought back his old car and let him buy a new one. When he got the new car, he asked them if they could move the active spoiler onto the new car which didn't come with one as standard. The Tesla team was able to figure it out and as far as I know he is the only person with a 100D Model X that has an active spoiler and HW2.

So Tesla was able to get the firmware to recognize the spoiler and transplant it in this very rare case.

I hope they can do it again or at least let us do the physical work and provide a simple firmware patch.

• Funny
Reactions: towndrunk and ABC2D
I’ve been coming to this site for years but just finally made an account today to tell you that there is hope!

In the fall of 2017, I was visiting Crater Lake in Oregon, when I saw two Model X's with Autopilot HW2. However, one of them was unique in that it had an active spoiler, from the older HW1 cars. We located the owner who'd also driven up from the Bay Area with his friend's family in the other HW2 Model X. He told us that they noticed a 15 mile(or 15% I don't remember it was long ago) difference in range between the two cars, favoring the active spoiler.

But the important part, how got the active spoiler on the newer car. Tesla actually did it for him! He originally had an older Model X, but due to it's many issues ("many more" I should say as most early Model X had many issues) Tesla bought back his old car and let him buy a new one. When he got the new car, he asked them if they could move the active spoiler onto the new car which didn't come with one as standard. The Tesla team was able to figure it out and as far as I know he is the only person with a 100D Model X that has an active spoiler and HW2.

So Tesla was able to get the firmware to recognize the spoiler and transplant it in this very rare case.

I hope they can do it again or at least let us do the physical work and provide a simple firmware patch.
Actually here is a picture of that car. If you look very closely, you can see that it has a camera in the B pillar and on the side indicator (which is easier to see since it's black and silver as opposed to just silver). And also you can see that the spoiler is down, meaning it's active.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    595.6 KB · Views: 102
I don’t think it’d be possible on refresh cars since those have an entirely different list of gateway parameters.

Now I suppose you could build your own controller that reads the speed off the can bus and adjusts the spoiler based on that

Actually here is a picture of that car. If you look very closely, you can see that it has a camera in the B pillar and on the side indicator (which is easier to see since it's black and silver as opposed to just silver). And also you can see that the spoiler is down, meaning it's active.
It's possible they updated the look by adding non-functional cameras to an older X with an active spoiler.

I’ve seen people add the fender cameras for the look, but the b pillar cameras would be a little excessive
I did it and wasn't a big deal. Also swapped fender cameras, changed badge to dual motor underlined, and removed the Model X badge on the left side of the trunk. Now it looks identical to AP2 vehicle.

My plan was/is to purchase an Xcare battery and drivetrain warranty this year that would cover me for another 9 years and drive it until it fell apart. Having an updated look helped me remain happy in my 2016. Now with the FUSC transfer I'm thinking about upgrading.

I still have all original parts and a brand new P90D badge if I ever sell it and the new owner wants to make it look stock.

So yeah, maybe a bit excessive I guess.

Well, this is one mod I hadn't planned on, but now I need. I haven't taken delivery yet, but already purchased 90% of everything I need when I do.

Are we saying the motor, wiring and everything else is there? Just need to control it? I could see it being frozen in place in the winter with ice & snow on it.

I'd love to see a writeup (with pics) of how this is done.

Well, this is one mod I hadn't planned on, but now I need. I haven't taken delivery yet, but already purchased 90% of everything I need when I do.

Are we saying the motor, wiring and everything else is there? Just need to control it? I could see it being frozen in place in the winter with ice & snow on it.

I'd love to see a writeup (with pics) of how this is done.
I don't think a transplant would possible for a refresh x with the horizontal screen. I would imagine the active spoiler setting would not be able to even be turned on in the mcu for the version. you could technically install the hinges motors etc but you would have to control it manually to rase and lower it with some kind of toggle switch for the 12v.

I don't think a transplant would possible for a refresh x with the horizontal screen. I would imagine the active spoiler setting would not be able to even be turned on in the mcu for the version. you could technically install the hinges motors etc but you would have to control it manually to rase and lower it with some kind of toggle switch for the 12v.
It wouldn’t be possible with stock electronics, but probably wouldn’t be impossible to build some module that reads the speed and whatever off the can bus and control it that way.

Reactions: towndrunk