Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ad Campaign against BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

Most of us (Not to say all...) thinks these new BMW ads are absurd #waitordrive and I was talking to someone about it, turned out lots of people thinks it's absurd too and wants to do something about it...
If you haven't seen it before, please refer to this link: BMW tries to attract Tesla Model 3 reservation holders in ridiculous new commercial

So how about an Ad targeting BMW and there #waitordrive campaign done by the enthusiast that are waiting in the first place...
And why not have fun with it...

In an attempt to brainstorm for ideas I created this thread, and the goal is to get a good ad concept that might make its way to TV or BMW .

First we'll need an Idea and a hashtag, so for that, We'll do a contest and the ones with the most like will be the winners...(I say winners because there might be more than one since BMW made at least 2 ads...) Details of the contest will be listed below.

2nd There is already a poll started by Tomas Friedhoff from Tesla Owners worldwide facebook page about this. If anyone would to help with this project and have any skills or contacts from the media, sound producer, professional video directors... etc please let us know. The doors are open if you have skills and interested in helping with this project, don't be shy and reach in...
Or if can help making this ad going Viral, or even some feedback after a draft ad is made would be great...

I would like it to be some sort of collaboration between several people who are currently waiting for a car and would like to answer back to BMW...

Detail of the contest...

1-Start your Ad like this
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WOULD BE MY AD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After when we sort through the messages, that will help us knowing which message is an ad or which one is a general comments etc...
2-Name your Ad, and please name it with a hashtag #WAIT(insert what you want)
3- Imagine the Add would be 30-45 Sec long what would you show in this time as a respond to BMW?
(Describe your add, how it starts, how it continues and how it finishes...
4-If you read an Idea, and you want to build up to that add or modify something to it, reply to this add and add your own....The likes of your message will be taken into account...

By Monday Next week at 7h00 PM ET:, the Ad with the most like will be considered the winner of this add contest and I'll do my best to convince people already working in this project to consider it in the ad campaign against BMW...

!!! Be Creative and Have Fun, Above all Like your favorite Ad ;) !!!

• Disagree
Reactions: KZKZ and kort677
This is the link of the Facebook poll, if you want to help, please reach in...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WOULD BE MY AD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#WaitandBeDriven
A guy waiting in a car, he looks frustrated, he is hot, his car is not moving...he is looking at his watch, and he looks even more frustrated....Camera zoom out abit, then you see he is been waiting in the rush hour traffic...
Then camera keeps zooming out, you see another car (Signature Red or close to it so that we don't get sued haha), The frustrated driver sees driver of the signature red car dancing, his hand is not on the wheel, but yet his car his moving, and stopping by itself in the traffic....The driver from the red car put his windows down and ask the frustrated driver politely " Excuse me, would you allow me to pass in front of you and jump on the OHV lane?" Frustrated driver agrees, but look confused (since there is only 1 driver)

The Signature red car, gets in front of him from the right lane to the middle lane, then go on the OHV lane and accelerate fast while the frustrated driver is still stuck in traffic, with the confused look on his face

Through that whole time, there was voice (narrator) Saying You can be stuck in traffic, getting tired, and wait, wait wait, wait or (Signature Red driver asking frustrated Driver nicely to let him in...) Jump on the OHV and let yourself be driven #WAITANDBEDRIVEN

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: KZKZ and EVie'sDad

I think the existing ads are funny and pathetic already... so I would do an MST3k job.
Call it "Mystery Driving Theater, 300e" -- hopefully enough of a parody that it wouldn't get sued.
Basically the black cutouts of the robots at the bottom of the existing ad, making snarky comments like "Yeah, a 7 mile EV! Just what I need to get to the gas station".

Yeah, I don't think Tesla has anything to worry about - compare Tesla's #'s to BMW's for the most recent month of July 2016.

USA Electric Car Sales Up 48% In July

Now who's terrified?

Ohhh no I am not implying one bit that Tesla is worried, after all the mission was to push Electric Transportation so if we can call this competition I guess it's good...

But it's more the making fun of us waiting for car and cheap shot at it that bothers me...I feel like giving them a taste of there own medicine...
And maybe that would encourage them building real EVs and not some wanna be EV with 15 miles of range...

I'd ignore them. Why put "BMW" on anyone's radar, even if you're trying to mock them? As one of our current presidential candidates seems to believe, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Anyway, I think the 300e is a fine looking car that costs a bundle and as a plug-in hybrid hauling batteries, motors, engines and gasoline, it's a bridge vehicle to the kind of cars Tesla already builds.
In other words, it's born obsolete.
Robin

My ad is a PREQUEL to the "Wait Or Drive" BMW ad.
0:00 BMW Woman walks past those two Superchargers, walks to her car, reaches for the 120v plug...
0:08 SCENE FREEZES, text overlay: "Five Hours Earlier..."
0:11 DAYTIME. BMW woman plugs in her cable to the car, graphic overlay shows her range: 0 | . . . . 14
0:14 Fast-forward 1 hour, graphic overlay shows her range: 0 | | . . . 14 and a Model S pulls in to one of the Superchargers, its current range is shown in overlay: 0 | | . . . . . . . 280
0:16 Fast-forward (with little timer) 20 elapsed minutes, Tesla Range: 0 | | | | | | | . . 280 and BMW Range: same as it was. Tesla pulls out with style.
0:18 Fast-forward 1 hour, graphic overlay shows her range: 0 | | | . . 14 and a Model X pulls in to one of the Superchargers, its range is shown going from low to decent in about 20 minutes as well.
0:22 Repeat Teslas coming and going, a few more times as the BMW charged range slowly inches upward
0:26 Woman returns like in the beginning, her range finally shows full battery, a whopping 14 miles, and (like in the BMW ad) when she removes the car plug the text is shown "Charging Optional"
0:28 "Charging Optional" floats over to the Superchargers, while morphing into "Charging Included" and then to "Supercharging Included" and then to "Supercharging Included For Free" ...
... and as the Tesla logo is drawn on the screen, "Free Long Distance Travel" appears and below that:
0:30 "#For Life."

I don't need to tell them anything, however making retaliatory ads is quite disingenuous and childish.
I understand your point of view, and I respect your choice, but In no way it means that the whole world should follow what you deemed to be not disingenuous and not childish...
You don't want to tell them anything...then don't...As someone mention above, buying a model 3 is telling them something already...

But there is no reason to judge others for having a different opinion than you. It is their right to be entitled to their opinions just like it is your right...
And please don't kill the child within you...life is more fun when you live it like a child does...

0:00 BMW Woman walks past those two Superchargers, walks to her car, reaches for the 120v plug...
0:11 DAYTIME. BMW woman plugs in her cable to the car, graphic overlay shows her range: 0 | . . . . 14
0:14 Fast-forward 1 hour, graphic overlay shows her range: 0 | | . . . 14 and a Model S pulls in to one of the Superchargers, its current range is shown in overlay: 0 | | . . . . . . . 280
0:16 Fast-forward (with little timer) 20 elapsed minutes, Tesla Range: 0 | | | | | | | . . 280 and BMW Range: same as it was. Tesla pulls out with style.
0:18 Fast-forward 1 hour, graphic overlay shows her range: 0 | | | . . 14 and a Model X pulls in to one of the Superchargers, its range is shown going from low to decent in about 20 minutes as well.
0:22 Repeat Teslas coming and going, a few more times as the BMW charged range slowly inches upward
0:26 Woman returns like in the beginning, her range finally shows full battery, a whopping 14 miles, and (like in the BMW ad) when she removes the car plug the text is shown "Charging Optional"
0:28 "Charging Optional" floats over to the Superchargers, while morphing into "Charging Included" and then to "Supercharging Included" and then to "Supercharging Included For Free" ...
... and as the Tesla logo is drawn on the screen, "Free Long Distance Travel" appears and below that:

Not bad...

I like to concept of your idea, however, I have a problem with EV ads and/or reviews getting too much into charging. It makes it seem like charging is a hassle and that you are always plugging in your car. The general public then gets the impression that your whole life revolves around charging the car when that's very far from the truth. It only scares them away. Those who have the luxury of charging at home very rarely need to charge in public, especially those with 200+ mile BEV's. Even my 80 mile i3 rarely needs to be charged outside of the house.

**Shot 1 **
*scene opens to a busy high end restaurant kitchen*
camera trucks across the kitchen.
chefs in solid white uniforms are hustling back and forth between prep tables and ranges as fast as they can. loud kitchen noise fills this shot. not a single chef is motionless except one.
Amongst all the busy chefs we spot one chef in the back leaning against a prep table with his arms crossed.

**shot 2 **
~ medium shot ~
a young chef opens an oven and pulls out a souffle. As she does it collapses and she mutters to herself in anger.

** Shot 3 **
~medium shot ~
a heavy set chef is belly up to a stove top whisking water and sugar to make caramel.
~close up~ He smiles and looks at all his fellow chefs in confidence. As he does his solution quickly boils over and splashes on his shoes.

**Shot 4 **
~ 3 medium shots~
Several other chefs look at our chef in the back with anger or question.

**Shot 5 **
~medium shot~
an muscular chef is sweating over a gill. fire roars up into his face as he quickly takes a steak off the grill. he slams it on the prep table behind him in anger. the camera can see the steak is burnt.

** Shot 6 **
~extreme front close up of our chef in the back~
Our chef is looking down. With a calm and confident look upon his face, the chef raises his head.

~medium shot~
Our chef gets up and calmly walks over to the oven nearest him. As he opens the oven door
~ cut to wide shot~
the entire kitchen stops what they are doing, and every one watches our chef intently. the room goes silent.

**Shot 7**
~From inside the oven, close up shot. looking at our Chef in the face~
the chef looks only for brief moment, then a small smile grows on his face.

**Shot 8 **
~overhead view~
our main chef is hunched over a prep table. the rest of the kitchen staff is still watching in silence.
<Voice over> "With patience..."
the chef stands up and slides a beautiful plate of food across the table to a server
<Voice Over>"Comes reward."

overlay model 3 logo over existing shot. then fade scene to black, but keep 3 logo.
-----------------------------------------

A few notes.... This would ONLY be in response to bwm. I don't really think Tesla needs to respond, but here it is anyway.
This ad does very little to describe what the car is about or its features! But i think a little tongue in cheek would be fun for BMW:p

Go easy it was off the top of my head ;)!

I agree with those that say the BMW campaign is doing more damage to BMW than any Tesla counter ad could...

Still if we'd want to make a counter I'd prefer it to be more subtle and more elegant.

Remember that Model 3 intro video Tesla was playing during the reveal? Slick shots of the M3, slowly revealing the design, cool music...

Reuse that video, just blend in some key messages every few seconds across the screen:

- Drop dead gorgeous design
- The performance of a supercar
- Twice the electric range of any car in it's class
- Lightning fast Superchargers accross the world
- The most advanced Autopilot of any car
- Half the price of our flagship Model S
---
We know why you are waiting patiently....
---
The Tesla Model 3. Nothing compares.

Reactions: gavine and Blackout