Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter for 3-pin charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an adapter with goes from a cigarette lighter to a 3-pin plug and two USBs... which is obviously useless with a Tesla.

My Googlefu is failing me and all I'm getting is 3-pin to USB results. Does a USB to 3-pin adapter even exist and if so does the Tesla output enough power from them to, for example, power an airbed pump?

I've got an adapter with goes from a cigarette lighter to a 3-pin plug and two USBs... which is obviously useless with a Tesla.

My Googlefu is failing me and all I'm getting is 3-pin to USB results. Does a USB to 3-pin adapter even exist and if so does the Tesla output enough power from them to, for example, power an airbed pump?
When you say "obviously useless" what do you mean?

There's a "cigarette lighter"/12v port under the arm rest

I very much doubt the USB ports have enough power output for a 3-pin socket but happy to be corrected!

Reactions: Adopado
See this thread.

USB is typically max. 10 W (2A at 5V). If that's the case for the sockets in the Tesla, an inverter wouldn't have much hope of delivering any power at 230 V.

I've never seen a USB to 230 V inverter.It doesn't really make sense.

If you use a 12 V pump, or 12 V charger, make sure it is within the limits of the Tesla socket. You're more likely to have success with this approach, as you're not suffering the inefficiencies of an inverter in the middle.