TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adapter Plug

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Prachatice, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Prachatice

Prachatice Member

[​IMG]
    I would like to purchase the plug in the upper right so I could charge remotely at another location that has this receptacle. It says Tesla on it so I assume it will plug into my cord that came with my 90D. However, I cannot find it anywhere. Short of driving to Denver, can I purchase this online anywhere? Can someone please send me a link. Thank you!

2. Prachatice

Prachatice Member

Scratch that, I need the plug in the lower right - sorry!

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

#3 Max*, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Lower right is the old dryer plug NEMA 10-30, Tesla stopped selling those for some silly reason.

There are adapters you can buy to convert a 10-30 into a 14-50 (10-30P to a 14-50R), and then plug in your 14-50, but there are risks associated with that.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Tesla said they will start making the 14-30 adapter available again because of all the requests, so perhaps if enough people ask Tesla for the 10-30 they will reintroduce that one too. In the meantime, try calling around to service centers to see if anyone has one left.

5. BertL

BertL Active Member

Tesla — NEMA 14-30
    Mine shipped yesterday and arrives this coming Wednesday.

6. UCLA98

UCLA98 Member

7. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Looks ok — but a little pricey. It's cheaper to DIY with a 10-30 pigtail and a 14-30 receptacle, if you can find one and if you're comfortable doing the work. For some reason it's easier to find the 14-50R, but that one won't accept the neutral blade on the 14-30 plug.

Anyone tried to remove or modify the neutral blade from Tesla's 14-30 adapter, so that it will go into a 14-50 receptacle?

8. pduwhips

pduwhips New Member

I wouldn't recommend removing or modifying the neutral blade from the 14-30 adapter. However, I did find a place that could manufacture a custom adaptor. I even used it on my Telsa series. It works like a charm and I wanted to share the information.

9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

I will second this first recommendation of just making your own 10-30 to 14-30 adapter. It may sound intimidating, but it's really not hard.

As to this second bit, I can't even fathom why you would want to use a Tesla 14-30 adapter to plug into a real 14-50 outlet. It would be limiting the current to 24A. Why would you want to do that? Why wouldn't you use the real 14-50 plug?