Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to slice plug and wand from two different generations? model s charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg

IMG_3014.jpeg

Does anyone know if I can splice these two together? I believe they are from two generations. One wire is for the plug and the other is for the wand. I need to know what each color is for and which ones go to what wires from the plug to the wand. There are also 2 extra wires on the plug so not sure if they group up in twos to connect to the two smaller wires from the plug. Can’t find a wiring diagram anywhere.

Isn’t there normally an EVSE (“charger”) in the middle of these cables? Maybe show us a wider angle picture with everything shown?
First picture is the the wire for the plug next to the broken wand I detached from it. second picture is the new wand i would like to attach to the old plug. 3rd picture is the two parts I am trying to put together (the wand and the plug)

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3018.jpeg
    IMG_3018.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
Well, the big current carrying wires are easy. The old mobile connector doubled up on those, so should be easy to figure out which one goes to where. For 240V, it doesn’t even matter if you get them backwards, but for 120V, it would matter.

But the new cable with the two extra wires is interesting. I suspect the extra ones are for a wand heat sensor that the old mobile connector did not have. Since your old mobile connector doesn’t have that functionality, you’d be able to ignore those extra wires.

So, yes, I think this is all possible, but no I don’t have a wiring diagram. But the owner of this company does since this is the kind of thing they do: QC Charge - Home

In fact if you sent them the parts, they’d probably splice them together for you.

Personally, I’d just buy a new Mobile Connector and call it a day, but looks like you have the extra wand somehow…

ps. The white and orange wires are the heat sensor one probably and those are the ones you could ignore.

Upvote 0
appreciate the help! I’m going to give it a try before i just buy a new one. don’t want to waste good parts
Well, the big current carrying wires are easy. The old mobile connector doubled up on those, so should be easy to figure out which one goes to where. For 240V, it doesn’t even matter if you get them backwards, but for 120V, it would matter.

But the new cable with the two extra wires is interesting. I suspect the extra ones are for a wand heat sensor that the old mobile connector did not have. Since your old mobile connector doesn’t have that functionality, you’d be able to ignore those extra wires.

So, yes, I think this is all possible, but no I don’t have a wiring diagram. But the owner of this company does since this is the kind of thing they do: QC Charge - Home

In fact if you sent them the parts, they’d probably splice them together for you.

Personally, I’d just buy a new Mobile Connector and call it a day, but looks like you have the extra wand somehow…

ps. The white and orange wires are the heat sensor one probably and those are the ones you could ignore.

Upvote 0

I had to let you know that it worked! Took less than 10mins to do and I saved myself a few hundred bucks. Thank you so much again!

Upvote 0