Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Suspension Damping… Real or Ruse? Which one do you have? Find out fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well…if you consider your adaptive suspension not working at all to be perfection, I guess so.

While I believe there are those out there that don't have it working, mine works fine. Sport is bone jarring by comparison to Comfort. I leave it in Comfort now in the winter around Seattle because the ride is so harsh in Sport.

If you watched the video @SteveSchweer put together…it doesn’t work. None of them do. It’s not possible.
I'm just telling you that for at least some of us, that video is incorrect. The difference is really obvious. In fact, if I leave the car in Sport suspension by mistake, my wife will complain to me about the ride quality, - without me having mentioned anything. Again, anyone in the Seattle area is welcome to take a ride with me.

As a side note, Comfort Mode can be really bouncy, and it can make me feel a bit nauseated with the amount of suspension travel at times, depending on the road undulations.

Last edited:
I have an August 22 Refresh and everything is perfect.....no harshness or vibration, just perfect. Love the tilt screen.
Let's hope the issues are resolved for 2023's and beyond - or at least before my UK RHD drive order is ready.

Meanwhile, I checked my 2020 MS Raven performance. I must conclude the OP seems incorrect on all counts.

While the differences between Sport(20%) and Comfort (4%) are well short of the differences and control of the hydraulic cross-linked system on my Mac, they are noticeable on bumpy roads. The orange line does indeed read and correlate to rebound (not body motion) and is the inverse of the green.

Ride heights also register the the suspension attempting to keep level on curves (the outside of the showing a high number while the inside stays at 0). But the car still leans over, again unlike my Mac.

I'm just telling you that for at least some of us, that video is incorrect. The difference is really obvious. In fact, if I leave the car in Sport suspension by mistake, my wife will complain to me about the ride quality, - without me having mentioned anything. Again, anyone in the Seattle area is welcome to take a ride with me.

As a side note, Comfort Mode can be really bouncy, and it can make me feel a bit nauseated with the amount of suspension travel at times, depending on the road undulations.
Mine works excellent as well between each suspension setting. I am curious if this just the early non plaid issue?

Great work you did here Steve. However I think it may be worth to provide this research directly to other service center since you had tried so hard with your first service center with no success

Mine works excellent as well between each suspension setting. I am curious if this just the early non plaid issue?

Great work you did here Steve. However I think it may be worth to provide this research directly to other service center since you had tried so hard with your first service center with no success
Guys, none of them work. No matter what you think. Watch Steve’s video.

The only caveat being; if there was a software release that fixed ALL vehicles very recently. And there wasn’t, since mine is still the same on all settings.

It is a software issue impacting the entire fleet.

• Funny
Reactions: xEvoLveDx
Guys, none of them work. No matter what you think. Watch Steve’s video.

The only caveat being; if there was a software release that fixed ALL vehicles very recently. And there wasn’t, since mine is still the same on all settings.

It is a software issue impacting the entire fleet.
That is flat-out false. I’m sorry, but it is.

I'm too worried about getting the dreaded 38-42 mph vibration to even care. The suspension is better than my old S with air, and the numbers change when I alter settings. For me, ignorance is bliss.
It seems like no one is either taking the time to watch the videos on what is happening with the adaptive suspension or do not understand the information that is being delivered.

It has been absolutely proven that the numbers on the screen changing, does not correlate to the suspension working as expected.

It seems like no one is either taking the time to watch the videos on what is happening with the adaptive suspension or do not understand the information that is being delivered.

It has been absolutely proven that the numbers on the screen changing, does not correlate to the suspension working as expected.
I can believe that based on feedback on some cars reportedly not working as expected.

Well the latest video, which I have also watched, claims this also applies to Raven models. This is categorically false. I have done my own checking with a vibration meter to verify there is a difference between the settings on the road - as have these guys per the link below. Hence, it is certainly not “absolutely proven“.

Also here’s this on a Plaid

Reactions: mcirish
Well the latest video, which I have also watched, claims this also applies to Raven models. This is categorically false. I have done my own checking with a vibration meter to verify there is a difference between the settings on the road - as have these guys per the link below. Hence, it is certainly not “absolutely proven“.

Also here’s this on a Plaid

I would agree you can certainly feel a difference between track mode and sport. I can't feel any difference between comfort and sport, though. I imagine it's possible they didn't bother to put in a calibration for comfort mode, figuring they'll get to it later... And then never did. I'll have to log the PWM values at some point to see.

Well, if the adaptive suspension, isn't, then I guess I can add it to a list if things that don't work well, or at all in the Refresh:

ARNR
Ambient lighting
Steam games
Horn
Charge port door

And of course, FSD.

ARNR = Check. Mine has been broken in both 2021 and 2022 cars. It's complete false advertising.
Ambient Lighting = Well... it was never promised, was it?
Steam Games = Arguable whether one has a case against Tesla on this one, but... worth a shot.
Horn = Still a joke, yep.
Charge Port Door = You having the antenna issue I had on my 2021 which required a whole new charge port (there's an antenna built in), or something else?

Charge Port Door = You having the antenna issue I had on my 2021 which required a whole new charge port (there's an antenna built in), or something else?

New port and door installed and damaged by Mobile in June.

Remote open broken by update late fall.

Remote open fixed by update in Dec.

SvC will not sell me a new charge port, even though listed as over the counter. Local approved body shop won't do it either since they "Have a love/hate relationship with Tesla"