Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Suspension Damping… Real or Ruse? Which one do you have? Find out fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just trying to help you guys get good data to help solve this. I won't post anymore on it as I've said my peace! :)
I certainly didn't mean to suggest you stop contributing to this thread. What I think would be great if you have the time is to look at the videos @SteveSchweer has posted in this thread and the original thread to see if your concerns about his method have legs. I think we're all on board with how the system is supposed to work but the evidence in the videos sure seems to point to them working differently on his (and if so, likely other) cars. Another reference would be this thread with accelerometer readings where you see the z-axis pulls spikier G's in comfort/comfort and is more smooth in firm/sport mode.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest you stop contributing to this thread. What I think would be great if you have the time is to look at the videos @SteveSchweer has posted in this thread and the original thread to see if your concerns about his method have legs. I think we're all on board with how the system is supposed to work but the evidence in the videos sure seems to point to them working differently on his (and if so, likely other) cars. Another reference would be this thread with accelerometer readings where you see the z-axis pulls spikier G's in comfort/comfort and is more smooth in firm/sport mode.
I did and didn't take your comments wrong. I just feel I've laid out the data clearly enough and further explanation would be redundant..

We have to take Steves information into 2 chunks:

1. The feeling that the suspension doesn't work.
2. The conclusions.

I believe #1 is reasonably legitimate. I believe the accelerometer data could be accurate because I believe its reasonable that his suspension is not working correctly.

I believe #2 is significantly incorrect:

1. His belief that a higher percentage of compression/rebound means a softer ride is simply wrong.
2. That reading the values of the car stopped is also not valuable data.

Studying data that isn't meaningful AND interpreting that data incorrectly (opposite to its meaning infact) is not helping solve this problem. It is my suspicion that the data his car is showing IS correct but that the signal is not being sent to the suspension to make the changes the system deems necessary.

I've been trying to find an objective test everyone can do that will give good impartial data but this ones really tough to do that way.

I have NO disrespect to Steve and don't want to come off that way at ALL. The guys having an issue with his car and I want to help... My advice is to call your local service center and see how they say the suspension data info should be interpreted..

Reactions: tm1v2
I wish I could provide the measurements but my MSLR that was delivered on July 31 this year has a broken adaptive ride system. A few days after delivery I got an error message saying “adaptive ride control disabled, drive with caution” and all the sensors are reading zero for all 4 struts.

You don’t need any equipment! As I explained in my post, the values displayed as “percentage damping“ are NOT percentage damping but ARE solenoid voltage duty cycle. They are a direct window to the operation of the valves. Getting the numbers I need takes about one minute…. Go to the Suspension Info screen, set the ride to Comfort, step on the brake, and record the number for Left Front Compression. Set the ride to Sport and record it again. Then record it for Advanced, Ride Comfort Soft through Firm. You should have 7 numbers ie. 0,28,0,0,4,8,20 (these are my numbers). BTW I have previously proven that the valves are Normally Closed. Thanks!
Im back from my vacation.
...and a reminder. Mine works very well as advertised.
Hope this helps!
BTW, I always have my car in "low"

Attachments

• IMG_7019.jpeg
    IMG_7019.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    820.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_7018.jpeg
    IMG_7018.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 125
Reactions: Wilber
….. an update on what I’ve been doing. Since Tesla apparently isn’t interested in hearing from their customers, it occurred to me that they might listen to a suspension expert. After a little asking around in the suspension industry, I learned that Tesla’s air spring/struts are made by Bilstein of America Inc. I messaged them and received an email from technical support person in their aftermarket support group. He said that Bilstein makes the struts to a proprietary Tesla design and that he couldn’t tell me anything about them. So, using the email address, I summarized the situation and said “don’t tell ME anything… tell Tesla“. I suggested that there must be someone at Bilstein with a communication link to Tesla’s suspension group.… and would he please forward this information to them? A few days later, I contacted him again and he said he had sent my email to their head of Product Quality. I asked, but he wouldn’t give me a name or email address. So, we can only hope that this person takes the initiative to follow through on this. I said that Tesla seems to be blissfully unaware that there is even a problem, even though I believe that it affects every Tesla built with Bilstein shocks. I suggested that an “intervention“ is in order as fixing the problem is in everyone’s best interests… Tesla, Bilstein, and the customer‘s.
The summary of the situation I included, I think, presents a clear picture of the facts that resulted from my research. Here it is:

- the damping rate is controlled by proportional, normally closed, solenoid valves
- these valves are opened by increasing the duty cycle of a 16 volt, 1 Khz, Pulse Width Modulated voltage
- the duty cycle of the control voltages is displayed on the “show suspension data” screen… ERRONEOUSLY LABELED as “Percentage Damping”!
- there are 7 driver selected Ride Comfort settings: Comfort, Sport, and (under “Advanced”) the 5 position Ride Comfort slider, Soft to Firm
- each of these settings should establish a basic control voltage duty cycle (bias) appropriate to the level of ride comfort called for. THIS IS THE PROBLEM! only 2 of the 7 settings (Sport and the firmest slider) loads a reasonable duty cycle! The other 5 leave the duty cycle at 0%, or close to it, resulting in the harshest ride possible
- the basic bias duty cycle is added-to as the vehicle encounters rough pavement (this part works fine)

Looking at this, it is clear to me that there is only one step missing from Tesla’s implementation of the Variable Ride Control system… they have neglected to “tune“ the system. If you were to install aftermarket coil-over shocks on your car, the last step would be to “tune“ them by turning the screwdriver-adjustable valves on each one to get the type of ride you are looking for. Tesla shocks are electronically adjustable, but you STILL need to tell them what setting constitutes “soft” vs. what setting means “firm”. It appears that no one has ever done this. Perhaps Tesla’s “flat“ organizational chart is to blame? The engineers designed the hardware, the coders designed the operating software, but NOBODY was responsible for tuning the system! (….. “I thought YOU were doing that”) …and there was no one is responsible for the whole thing to see that it’s missing!

Remember that this system is working for some. This is not an issue for all Model S's. My system is unmistakeably working between comfort and sport.

I really wish someone with a non-working system could ride in one that's working and vice-versa.

Hi Folks. Just now i installed software update 2022.20.8. and it says it improves adaptive suspension by raising height of car over rough road sections. It says you need to set suspension to Comfort or Advanced for this to take effect. Have any of you driven your car after getting this update, and noticed whether the ride over rough pavement has improved or not? I'll try a little test drive tomorrow if i have time. tomorrow is a superbusy day, so i may not do that drive til Tuesday. Of course, i realize this update doesnt sound like a full fix for the suspension problem many of us have. But, with software you never know just how much it could really change things. For better or worse!

Where did you get this manual? Everyone associated with Tesla has been so tight lipped about ANYTHING to do with how the thing works that I’m amazed to see an actual repair manual. Too bad that this isn’t my problem. I’ve personally checked the continuity of my wiring and Service’s diagnostic software will identify this kind of problem. Thanks for the info though!

Last edited:
Where did you get this manual? Everyone associated with Tesla has been so tight lipped about ANYTHING to do with how the thing works that I’m amazed to see an actual repair manual. Too bad that this isn’t my problem. I’ve personally checked the continuity of my wiring and Service’s diagnostic software will identify this kind of problem. Thanks for the info though

Are you sure the software will identify an issue of a partial broken wire ? this article was published last week

I do know from experience that if you disconnect I one of the shock solenoid wires, you get a message on the display saying “Adaptive Suspension System inoperative. Drive with caution”
I agree with you I have a MX 2020 and the damping is not working correctly i haven't found a manual on that damping system ,...i have seen the old model s one but thats without the electronic dampening

I’m not sure about the numbers being reversed or not but my suspension seems to be working as advertised. After reading this thread I tested it out on my way home on the highway and speed humps in my neighborhood and comfort is definitely noticeably softer. Going over speed humps we’re softer and sprung a little and on another speed hump I set it to sport and there was not spring at all. This is with keeping the suspension height to low.

I’m pretty sensitive to a harsh ride as my prior BMW M340 didn’t have adaptive suspension and it was too firm for my liking and for two and a half years I was kicking myself for not ordering the adaptive suspension. My Plaid is much softer than my old M340.

I’m not sure about the numbers being reversed or not but my suspension seems to be working as advertised. After reading this thread I tested it out on my way home on the highway and speed humps in my neighborhood and comfort is definitely noticeably softer. Going over speed humps we’re softer and sprung a little and on another speed hump I set it to sport and there was not spring at all. This is with keeping the suspension height to low.

I’m pretty sensitive to a harsh ride as my prior BMW M340 didn’t have adaptive suspension and it was too firm for my liking and for two and a half years I was kicking myself for not ordering the adaptive suspension. My Plaid is much softer than my old M340.
Would you please tell us the model, delivery date, and suspension data numbers for your car? (Read how in one of my posts above). I’m especially interested in knowing the numbers of a car that works. Thanks!