Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a hitch for a bike rack to a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to bump this back up. Wanted to ask @Evoforce and others who have done the install: is the bumper support piece even necessary with the beefy hitch installed? Just asking as elimiating customizing that would be a huge task off the install list. I'm considering installing a draw-tite hitch for an X on my S. My 2012 S doesn't have backup sensors.

Thanks!
The new Torklift Ecohitch X7201s doesn't require the bumper support piece to be reinstalled and I doubt that it would be required for the modified draw-tite hitch either. The new eco hitch is rated for 4000lbs and is specifically designed for the Model S which negates the need to install the modified draw-site hitch.
Here's my post on the install of that: Model S Trailer Hitch Installation

Reactions: hydro
More photo's
The newer draw-tite 76143 went to a 4 hole instead of 8 pattern and thinking of trying on a 2015 if anyone knows why it wouldn’t work?

Why, because vertical hitch weight support over hidden for EV bike weight / 4 bike non EV holder.
IMG_6697.jpeg

I have one of the "non removable" hitches on my 2016 S. I don't remember the brand. It does bottom-out once in a while, mainly backing our of a steep driveway. I mostly use it for a bike rack but I have pulled a small sailboat with it with no issues.

Parking radar goes nuts when bikes are being hauled, but I can live with that for the few times I haul my bike.

I am just not sure why anyone would want a non-removable hitch on this car? Unless you plan on leaving a bike rack on all the time, but that would bottom out all the time too.
I have a removable one and I can't say I've really removed it since installation. I don't leave my bike rack on full time either, usually in summer it's on most the week but I typically remove it because of the annoying park assist unavailable nag when I have the bike rack folded up. It's more effort to take hitch on and off intermittently even for the winter where I bike less frequently but having the ability to remove it is nice but don't think it's really a deal breaker tbh.