Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding extension antenna to existing XM antenna/wiring?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our XM reception is crap, we've had Tesla check and they said it's normal -- in a wide open space it's fine. But in rural driving it's worthless. We have 2 other cars with XM that have no issues, so it's gotta be where the Tesla antenna is. Does anyone know how easy it is to get to, and if I can somehow attached an extension antenna, and put it somewhere else in the car.

I have a Ranger coming tomorrow to do some other things so maybe he can help me get to the antenna.

Any advice would be appreciated!

The antenna is integrated with the rear liftglass. You can find the antenna amplifiers under the left and right sides of the liftglass by removing the trim panels.

Can the amplifiers be switched out for more powerful units?

My last car with XM experienced several dead spots on my commute to/from work. Haven't tested the route with Model S yet, but from what I've heard I don't expect an improvement.

I imagine that a person with the appropriate knowledge might be able to squeeze more reception out, but it would likely be some significant custom work. I don't know much about the supplier industry for these, so I can't tell how far they go into the "custom" realm.

Can the amplifiers be switched out for more powerful units?

My last car with XM experienced several dead spots on my commute to/from work. Haven't tested the route with Model S yet, but from what I've heard I don't expect an improvement.

From my (admittedly limited) knowledge of these things, you are not going to want to boost the amplifiers, (it will just boost the static as well) you will need a modification to the antenna.