Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding more time on the powerwall during off peak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently run the Powerwalls on timed based cost savings from 4pm to 9pm, I want to add the time the house runs on the Powerwalls from 6am to 10am. Even though this is off peak I run the irrigation (well) and the pool filtering during this time. Do I set it up for shoulder, what is the best way to do that.

Shoulder would probably give you the behavior you as asking for, but is there a reason you want to prioritize using stored energy for this instead of doing it during the day when your PV is going gangbusters? Remember there is a 10% round trip efficiency loss on that energy.

I'm on PG&E TOU-B (4p-9p M-F) and I have my pool pump turning on when the PV ramps up to beyond the home load.

(Note: You might be constrained on when you run your irrigation, I don't have a well or any of those constraints.)

Shoulder would probably give you the behavior you as asking for, but is there a reason you want to prioritize using stored energy for this instead of doing it during the day when your PV is going gangbusters? Remember there is a 10% round trip efficiency loss on that energy.

I'm on PG&E TOU-B (4p-9p M-F) and I have my pool pump turning on when the PV ramps up to beyond the home load.

(Note: You might be constrained on when you run your irrigation, I don't have a well or any of those constraints.)
I’m just trying to minimize my grid usage when I have the most energy usage.

I’m just trying to minimize my grid usage when I have the most energy usage.
This is why I use balanced. My peak I set for 3 to 1am. Batteries 100%, even when I get up before sun hits panels. Once sun hits panels, then house gets solar and batteries, depending on load. If we turn on over, dryer at this point, grid would engage. With this process I am 99% off the grid, all day long.

This is why I use balanced. My peak I set for 3 to 1am. Batteries 100%, even when I get up before sun hits panels. Once sun hits panels, then house gets solar and batteries, depending on load. If we turn on over, dryer at this point, grid would engage. With this process I am 99% off the grid, all day long.
Thanks for your input, can you clarify the above not sure I understand if you set the house to run off the Powerwalls from 3pm to 1am the batteries would not get to 100% until you get some sun the next morning. Then I assume once the Powerwalls are full your solar powers the house until you run off the Powerwalls at 3pm. You have a much larger PV system and 5 Powerwalls so not sure I could do this.

Thanks for your input, can you clarify the above not sure I understand if you set the house to run off the Powerwalls from 3pm to 1am the batteries would not get to 100% until you get some sun the next morning. Then I assume once the Powerwalls are full your solar powers the house until you run off the Powerwalls at 3pm. You have a much larger PV system and 5 Powerwalls so not sure I could do this.
My batteries get to 100% around noon. So from noon to 3, solar powers house, and rest goes to PGE. At 3pm, peak hits and batteries 100% house. All solar to PGE. Batteries run house 100% until morning, and maybe longer, depending on what we run in the house. Once solar hits, then it runs house, and left over goes to battery. As more sun, batteries charge faster. Yes, this will not work in winter with little sun

My batteries get to 100% around noon. So from noon to 3, solar powers house, and rest goes to PGE. At 3pm, peak hits and batteries 100% house. All solar to PGE. Batteries run house 100% until morning, and maybe longer, depending on what we run in the house. Once solar hits, then it runs house, and left over goes to battery. As more sun, batteries charge faster. Yes, this will not work in winter with little sun
Thanks, right now I run on the batteries from 4 to 9 and it only uses around 20% of the batteries which are usually charged by 11am. I’m going to extend that to also run on the Powerwalls from 6am to 10am when my energy usage is high due to irrigation and pool filtering.

Reactions: h2ofun
I currently run the Powerwalls on timed based cost savings from 4pm to 9pm, I want to add the time the house runs on the Powerwalls from 6am to 10am. Even though this is off peak I run the irrigation (well) and the pool filtering during this time. Do I set it up for shoulder, what is the best way to do that.

I couldn't get the shoulder rates to behave correctly on my end. I noticed I was sometimes my PW's weren't exporting energy even though I was in a shoulder time.

The only way I could find to guarantee the behavior I wanted was to just put all shoulder and peak time as "peak" in the app. So for EV2-A, that spans from 3pm to midnight. That is like, an absurdly long peak time but it gets the job done.

Wondering how I can set my Powerwalls to run the house during two different times in a 24 hours period. So I have my Powerwalls set to run the house at peak from 4pm to 9pm. I would also like to run the house on the Powerwalls from 4am to 10am is this possible an if so how do I edit the price controls to make this happen.

Wondering how I can set my Powerwalls to run the house during two different times in a 24 hours period. So I have my Powerwalls set to run the house at peak from 4pm to 9pm. I would also like to run the house on the Powerwalls from 4am to 10am is this possible an if so how do I edit the price controls to make this happen.
Guess it depends on capacity. I have my peak from 3 to 1am. But when I get up in the morning, before solar, the batteries are still charging house 100%. I am in balanced. Then when the solar hits, it is used for house, and what is left over charges the batteries. At 3pm, cycle starts again with 100% charged batteries. Now in winter, screwed

Guess it depends on capacity. I have my peak from 3 to 1am. But when I get up in the morning, before solar, the batteries are still charging house 100%. I am in balanced. Then when the solar hits, it is used for house, and what is left over charges the batteries. At 3pm, cycle starts again with 100% charged batteries. Now in winter, screwed
I can set the peak to run from 4pm until 10am but seems like to long to run peak and not sure I would have enough power in the Powerwalls.

I can set the peak to run from 4pm until 10am but seems like to long to run peak and not sure I would have enough power in the Powerwalls.
Seems if one sets the reserve limit, it would stop at that. I am now running my AC, and was at 44% batteries this morning. I have reserve at 10%. As it gets hotter, seems I will be using more. So, I might see if it hits the 10% does it stop, as I would expect it would.

Can you explain how to do that, I tried and could not get the gray to do 4:30am to 10am. I have peak set from 4pm to 9pm and the blue off peak shows the rest of the time, I’m obviously not doing something correctly.
Make sure the open circle is at 6am and the closed circle on the line is at 10am. The open circle line is the start time and closed is the end time. If you cannot see the grey all the way it could be blocked by the yellow peak block. Click on the peak icon and it will hide the yellow box. Then it will be easier to move the grey. Then click the peak again to bring it back

Make sure the open circle is at 6am and the closed circle on the line is at 10am. The open circle line is the start time and closed is the end time. If you cannot see the grey all the way it could be blocked by the yellow peak block. Click on the peak icon and it will hide the yellow box. Then it will be easier to move the grey. Then click the peak again to bring it back
Ok, when I move the gray to the 4am to 10am and then hit the peak the gray reverts to 4am to 9pm instead of 4am to 10am.

Another question, since I cannot have 2 peak times I’m thinking of having my pool filter from 12pm to 6pm and set the peak to go from 12pm to 9pm. This would mean that I would have the Powerwalls discharging during that time and have maximum solar as well. Will the solar go to the grid or try to charge the Powerwalls so wondering what this will do to my monthly electrical bill.

Another question, since I cannot have 2 peak times I’m thinking of having my pool filter from 12pm to 6pm and set the peak to go from 12pm to 9pm. This would mean that I would have the Powerwalls discharging during that time and have maximum solar as well. Will the solar go to the grid or try to charge the Powerwalls so wondering what this will do to my monthly electrical bill.
If you need 4 hours for your pool filter, I would set it to run 11am-3pm. Leave the Powerwalls Peak 4-9pm. If Tesla allowed multiple Peak or Off-Peak periods, it would be easier to handle.
Which rate plan are you on?