Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional dash cam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an extra Thinkware dashcam available. You think it would be worth it to install it in the 3 or should I just take the factory one since they point at pretty much the same place. I guess the resolution on the f800 is better, but that’s it. I have duplicate dash cam on my x, but I had it before the dash cam and the unit records 24/7

I have a Blackvue HD 900, better resolution can be helpful to be able to read a license plate.
Also I can access Blackvue content on the cloud when I received a Tesla alert.
Redundancy is always preferable, also you might have sound recording with your dash cam.
As a bonus, when Sentry is on, the auxiliary plug stays on allowing to have your dashcam recording.

Reactions: Jaycha2
I don't know what features your thinkware has, but like watts_up I have a blackvue installed, back from before they offered the dashcam option, and it has enough great features that I keep it installed and running. The blackvue (and possibly the thinkware) is a well-evolved, full featured product, unlike the tesla implementation, which might be ok eventually, but currently is very much a work in progress.

Reactions: Watts_Up
It's a good idea. TeslaCam is mostly reliable, however, in a more severe incident, such as one that involves airbag deployment, we've seen time and time again that the final file is corrupt. An external cam that is not tied to core car systems won't suffer from that issue, specifically.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I got an older Blackvue dual channel dashcam during a sale about half a year ago, in anticipation of getting a new vehicle (wasn't 100% on the Model 3 at the time). I always thought of installing it for redundancy purposes, but never did. The included dashcam seems to work fine for me for the most part, not really sure if I should install it or not...

I have a Blackvue HD 900, better resolution can be helpful to be able to read a license plate.
Also I can access Blackvue content on the cloud when I received a Tesla alert.
Redundancy is always preferable, also you might have sound recording with your dash cam.
As a bonus, when Sentry is on, the auxiliary plug stays on allowing to have your dashcam recording.
Whats the impact to battery (8 hours) having the dash cam on with sentry mode?