Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional type 2 cable - good price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to get a smart charger installed and it doesn't come with a type 2 cable so I need to purchase one.
Was thinking that the one Tesla provide would be adequate but with also keeping one in the car as a spare.
Has anyone purchased an additional cable and where did you get it from?
Looking online they seem to be over £100 each?

Going to get a smart charger installed and it doesn't come with a type 2 cable so I need to purchase one.
Was thinking that the one Tesla provide would be adequate but with also keeping one in the car as a spare.
Has anyone purchased an additional cable and where did you get it from?
Looking online they seem to be over £100 each?
Yup, depending on length you'll be looking to pay between £100 and £200 for a decent quality cable. I've had a good experience with evonestopshop and evcables.

Reactions: Keeper and m3p_uk
I don't really understand what I need... I know that domestic supplies are single phase and this will be where I will do the vast majority of charging. When away from home I will try to use superchargers which I think are tethered (is this right?), but are 3rd party chargers like ecotricity tethered? Is there any benefit getting a 3 phase cable?

I'm not sure there is a lot of benefit. It would be for using type 2 chargers out and about that are 3 phase, but there aren't that many (the ones around here are all single phase). Depends if the price difference is worth it to you.. £107 vs £130 on the site I was looking at.

I don't really understand what I need... I know that domestic supplies are single phase and this will be where I will do the vast majority of charging. When away from home I will try to use superchargers which I think are tethered (is this right?), but are 3rd party chargers like ecotricity tethered? Is there any benefit getting a 3 phase cable?
Supercharging and any DC fast charger will be tethered.
Generally any slow charging will not be tethered and so will need your own cable. 3 phase can accept more power so charge faster so I would

Model 3s can only take 11 KW AC even on a three-phase 50 KW AC charger but I see the cable is rated at 7.5 Kw (single phase 32A) so, get the 3 phase.

Like that AC cable with the button by the way.

Last edited:
Is there any benefit getting a 3 phase cable?

In the UK, with a Model 3, relatively modest - almost all public AC charging is either 32A single phase (7kW) or 32A three phase (22kW, but Model 3 can only use 11kW). Since the 7kW units vastly outnumber the 22kW ones, the opportunities to use it are limited and the benefit when you do only 50% faster charging.

However, if you visit the Netherlands you will find lots of 16A three-phase (11kW) units - if you use your single phase cable on one of those, you only get 3.6kW, so the three-phase cable gets you 200% faster charging (or more to the point, charging on single phase at one of those is painfully slow).

Personally, I would spring for the 3-phase cable for one to carry in the car as the cost increment is not large, but it's hard to justify unless you travel widely and expect to make a lot of use of it: I probably only use my cable a handful of times a year, and can only remember one occasion in the past several years that being three-phase made a difference (however, since I have an early Model S, it made a big difference on that occasion).

For a cable to be left plugged in to a socketed chargepoint at home, there's no point in getting the three-phase one.

Really useful info. My own experience on using the included cable with a couple of free Type 2 chargers with my Model 3 has been 1. Local Council 16A 3 Phase charger which gave me 11kw on the display (can’t recall the miles). 2 Pod-Point 22kw charge point which reported adding 45 mile per hour to my Model 3 which suggests more than 11kw onboard charging. Maybe I am getting mixed up with AC and DC.?

Really useful info. My own experience on using the included cable with a couple of free Type 2 chargers with my Model 3 has been 1. Local Council 16A 3 Phase charger which gave me 11kw on the display (can’t recall the miles). 2 Pod-Point 22kw charge point which reported adding 45 mile per hour to my Model 3 which suggests more than 11kw onboard charging. Maybe I am getting mixed up with AC and DC.?

I don't know the precise figure the Model 3 uses for typical range, but 45mph at 11kW would be 244Wh/mile, which sounds about right.

So I think you were in fact charging at 11kW on the 22kW chargepoint, which is as expected with a Model 3 and a 3-phase cable.

BTW, it's always better to look at the power number than the MPH - the latter can often be misleading.