Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional type 2 cable - good price?

m3p_uk

Aug 1, 2019
UK
Going to get a smart charger installed and it doesn't come with a type 2 cable so I need to purchase one.
Was thinking that the one Tesla provide would be adequate but with also keeping one in the car as a spare.
Has anyone purchased an additional cable and where did you get it from?
Looking online they seem to be over £100 each?

fakoriginal

May 1, 2019
Bristol
Going to get a smart charger installed and it doesn't come with a type 2 cable so I need to purchase one.
Was thinking that the one Tesla provide would be adequate but with also keeping one in the car as a spare.
Has anyone purchased an additional cable and where did you get it from?
Looking online they seem to be over £100 each?
Yup, depending on length you'll be looking to pay between £100 and £200 for a decent quality cable. I've had a good experience with evonestopshop and evcables.

Reactions: Keeper and m3p_uk

axw820

Jul 22, 2019
Peak District, UK
I don't really understand what I need... I know that domestic supplies are single phase and this will be where I will do the vast majority of charging. When away from home I will try to use superchargers which I think are tethered (is this right?), but are 3rd party chargers like ecotricity tethered? Is there any benefit getting a 3 phase cable?

Tony Hoyle

May 7, 2019
Stockport, UK
I'm not sure there is a lot of benefit. It would be for using type 2 chargers out and about that are 3 phase, but there aren't that many (the ones around here are all single phase). Depends if the price difference is worth it to you.. £107 vs £130 on the site I was looking at.

m3p_uk

Aug 1, 2019
UK
I don't really understand what I need... I know that domestic supplies are single phase and this will be where I will do the vast majority of charging. When away from home I will try to use superchargers which I think are tethered (is this right?), but are 3rd party chargers like ecotricity tethered? Is there any benefit getting a 3 phase cable?
Supercharging and any DC fast charger will be tethered.
Generally any slow charging will not be tethered and so will need your own cable. 3 phase can accept more power so charge faster so I would

curmudgeon

Jul 11, 2019
Northern Ireland
Model 3s can only take 11 KW AC even on a three-phase 50 KW AC charger but I see the cable is rated at 7.5 Kw (single phase 32A) so, get the 3 phase.

Like that AC cable with the button by the way.

Last edited:

arg

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Is there any benefit getting a 3 phase cable?

In the UK, with a Model 3, relatively modest - almost all public AC charging is either 32A single phase (7kW) or 32A three phase (22kW, but Model 3 can only use 11kW). Since the 7kW units vastly outnumber the 22kW ones, the opportunities to use it are limited and the benefit when you do only 50% faster charging.

However, if you visit the Netherlands you will find lots of 16A three-phase (11kW) units - if you use your single phase cable on one of those, you only get 3.6kW, so the three-phase cable gets you 200% faster charging (or more to the point, charging on single phase at one of those is painfully slow).

Personally, I would spring for the 3-phase cable for one to carry in the car as the cost increment is not large, but it's hard to justify unless you travel widely and expect to make a lot of use of it: I probably only use my cable a handful of times a year, and can only remember one occasion in the past several years that being three-phase made a difference (however, since I have an early Model S, it made a big difference on that occasion).

For a cable to be left plugged in to a socketed chargepoint at home, there's no point in getting the three-phase one.

Tatoo1

Aug 16, 2019
London
Really useful info. My own experience on using the included cable with a couple of free Type 2 chargers with my Model 3 has been 1. Local Council 16A 3 Phase charger which gave me 11kw on the display (can’t recall the miles). 2 Pod-Point 22kw charge point which reported adding 45 mile per hour to my Model 3 which suggests more than 11kw onboard charging. Maybe I am getting mixed up with AC and DC.?

arg

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Really useful info. My own experience on using the included cable with a couple of free Type 2 chargers with my Model 3 has been 1. Local Council 16A 3 Phase charger which gave me 11kw on the display (can’t recall the miles). 2 Pod-Point 22kw charge point which reported adding 45 mile per hour to my Model 3 which suggests more than 11kw onboard charging. Maybe I am getting mixed up with AC and DC.?

I don't know the precise figure the Model 3 uses for typical range, but 45mph at 11kW would be 244Wh/mile, which sounds about right.

So I think you were in fact charging at 11kW on the 22kW chargepoint, which is as expected with a Model 3 and a 3-phase cable.

BTW, it's always better to look at the power number than the MPH - the latter can often be misleading.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC