Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjustable Sun Visors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no, it will not have adjustable extension visors, because like coat hangers and grab handles, it doesn't look good and probably feels cheap.

I just hope they will be able to keep the sun out of your eyes even when the sun is coming through the rear portion of the side window, so that you can drive safely and comfortably. If Tesla can manage to do that without extenders, great.

But if they fail to do that, then it's a design failure plain and simple -- no matter how sleek and clean they might look.

And if you really wanna talk "cheap", that's when a car company excludes a useful feature like extendable visors that probably only cost around $1 more.

Reactions: alseTrick
Oh, great, now someone has to start a new thread, "Model 3 Keyfob Mule Sightings", along with a poll:
  • Keyfob will be a really cool miniature Model 3 to set it apart from every other car model on the planet and, when people see you with your fob (e.g., a valet), they immediately recognize you are a person with refined tastes.
  • Keyfob will just be a boring generic one that doesn't emphasize the uniqueness and significance of the Model 3 in automotive history and, when people see you with your fob, they will forever brand you a Philistine.
(Your response will be visible and published throughout the Internet, so think carefully before you make your selection)
:rolleyes:
I want a Tesla miniature model 3 key fob that is the same color as my model 3. That way the valet will have a better chance of finding yours from among all the other people with refined tastes.

Reactions: JeffK
I'm not entirely sure what is meant by "adjustable" visors, but it'd be another design fail by Tesla if the visors didn't do at least one of the following:

outback15-sunvisor2.jpg
2014_mazda_cx-5_det_lt_1607132_600.jpg
Sun-visors-600x375.jpg

Granted, Tesla didn't think vanity mirror lights were necessary, or cupholders, storage pockets, center arm rest/console storage, adjustable seatbelts, coat hooks, etc...so I'm not holding my breath.

• Disagree
Its sad that the car is going to be produced in like 2 months and the most exciting and pressing issue we can talk about is sun visors. Cmon tesla, wheres the pricing, finalized design (*ahem* interior *ahem*), option packages and colors.
Elon said they didn't even want to disclose this until it's been in employees' hands.

Yes, I'm not sure if it's going to make sense for us to show the final version before start of production or after the initial cars, sort of Founder Series, actually go to company employees, because I think it's important for us to have a good feedback loop on the product that we're making. And if there are any issues, bugs or things that need to be addressed that we can address those before customers experience them.

So, I think in terms of showing the final version, it's probably at least a few months away, maybe as far as July itself. It's going to be pretty close to what I showed at the Model 3 unveiling, but with more polish and refinement and a few more details that are added. So it'll be better than what was unveiled and I guess in some ways it will be a lot better.

All we can do now is play Tesla Model 3 RC bingo for the next month and a half.

Last edited:
And if you really wanna talk "cheap", that's when a car company excludes a useful feature like extendable visors that probably only cost around $1 more.

Yeah, and I heard it doesn't have pipe rack either. WTF? What could that cost? $2? I don't smoke a pipe or use the sliding visor extenders on my cars/trucks, heck I don't even use the visors, but how cheap can they get?

But I'll really go ballistic if it doesn't have 'drift mode' in the settings. This is very common feature now. It allows people who don't know how to drift to hit shiit with the car easier. It's a handy feature, and should be mandatory, or at least my body repair shop says it should be. While I already know how to drift both RWD and FWD cars, what if I want to lend it out to somebody who doesn't know how, and I want to file an insurance claim?

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: DR61 and JeffK
I'm not entirely sure what is meant by "adjustable" visors, but it'd be another design fail by Tesla if the visors didn't do at least one of the following:

Sun-visors-600x375.jpg

This will be great during a nuclear exchange when you need to block the sun with one visor and thermonuclear flash with the other.

Seriously, you'd THINK visors would automatically move by now by knowing your time zone via GPS, your head height by infrared, and the car orientation.

Or if your passenger says something to offend you, you push the SLAP button, and the visor slams them in the face.

• Funny
Reactions: cizUK and dsvick
S and X have different visors.

WIll need to wait and see what comes with the 3.

In my Viper the visors are fixed in the front. No way to turn it to the side.

There is no standardized visor design in the auto industry. Seems like everybody has their own idea of what is right.

There also was a controversy on the S when there was no lighted vanity mirror for the passenger.

For some strange reason, Tesla seems to be concentrating more on battery and electric motor technology that sun visor specifics.

• Funny
Every car I've ever had, has visors like these
model-3-cabin-original.jpg

I had to google what an adjustable extension visor is... and look at the shape of that window.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no, it will not have adjustable extension visors, because like coat hangers and grab handles, it doesn't look good and probably feels cheap.

Although, visors like the Model X would be cool
There is more than one type of visor extension. There is the cheesy plastic extension used to fill the gap between the visor and the rear view mirror. I would be shocked if the M3 had that. Then there is the type that allows you to slide the entire visor towards the back of the car when you have it swung over by the door's window. This is totally hidden and not ugly at all. It just exposes a few inches of the bar it's mounted on. I'm hoping it has this. My old TL had it but my 328i does not and I miss having it.

Is this rendering from Tesla? Zooming in on the photo it sure looks like it could have the type of extension I'm hoping for. And now that I've looked more closely I'm wondering what that dark patch between the visors is. Could it be where the HUD will be mounted? :D

Last edited:
There is more than one type of visor extension. There is the cheesy plastic extension used to fill the gap between the visor and the rear view mirror. I would be shocked if the M3 had that. Then there is the type that allows you to slide the entire visor towards the back of the car when you have it swung over by the door's window. This is totally hidden and not ugly at all. It just exposes a few inches of the bar it's mounted on. I'm hoping it has this. My old TL had it but my 328i does not and I miss having it.

Is this rendering from Tesla? Zooming in on the photo it sure looks like it could have the type of extension I'm hoping for. And now that I've looked more closely I'm wondering what that dark patch between the visors is. Could it be where the HUD will be mounted? :D
That's not a rendering. That is actual photo of the silver alpha when it was displayed somewhere (might have been SpaceX headquarters). Dark patch is most likely where microphone for Bluetooth would be.