Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice/feedback for an (atypical) prospetive buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more I'm on this site, the more I want the car NOW. But I don't really need the car until November (in time for next winter's snow), so I'll wait till August or September to order.
This seems counter-intuitive to me. After driving a Model S, pretty much every ICE car underwhelms. It would have to be extremely special to feel anything less than nostalgic when compared to the MS. You may find that'll you regret not having had it to drive in the summer, and you'll never be able to push it the way you'd like on cold asphalt and winter treads - dry conditions or otherwise.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest that you arrange to drive *any* MS... just be prepared for the experience to ruin any fun you might currently have in an ICE (seriously).

As far as AutoPilot goes... never say never. I'm a double-clutch, heel and toe kind of guy and I would have laughed in the face of anyone who suggested I'd 'get old and soft' and stoop to using AP. I would have been wrong, because there are times when it's really nice to have and I'm happy to use it...

They longer you wait the better. It is more likely than not some new and exciting things are going to happen with Model S at the end of the year.

Why the end of the year? Why not in June? Or even in February of 2017?

I think Tesla has pretty much made it clear that they will add/change things as they are ready to do so, with no regards to a calendar/model year.

So you wait until December, then finally get your S. Then in mid January they release something that you would really have liked to have had. So you didn't have your S for 10 months and didn't get the feature.

Just like everything, buy something for the features it has now not what it may have in the future. And don't but it if the current features don't meet all your needs and required wants.

This seems counter-intuitive to me. After driving a Model S, pretty much every ICE car underwhelms. It would have to be extremely special to feel anything less than nostalgic when compared to the MS. You may find that'll you regret not having had it to drive in the summer, and you'll never be able to push it the way you'd like on cold asphalt and winter treads - dry conditions or otherwise.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest that you arrange to drive *any* MS... just be prepared for the experience to ruin any fun you might currently have in an ICE (seriously).

Why the end of the year? Why not in June? Or even in February of 2017?

I've test-driven the MS three times now. I always knew I'd love the car, but I never realized how much I'd be blown away by it.

I did the first test drive on a bit of a lark passing by a dealership on a Friday afternoon (I returned Saturday and Monday). But I always intended to get a new car prior to next winter. Right now, I'm driving an Audi S4 as my winter car. It will go when I get the Tesla. My primary summer car (that I'll take out of storage in 45 days or so) is a Porsche 911 GTS Cab, and it is an extremely special car. I don't drive the Audi, and won't drive the Tesla, that much in the summer. So I may as well keep my money in the bank and see what changes Tesla introduces between now and September. I've been around technology for a loooong time. I know you just have to buy when you're ready to buy or you'll drive yourself crazy waiting for the next best thing. I'll be ready in September.