Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for a Teslanaut embarking on a mission to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
… Start with getting Maingau, Chargemap and plugsurfing cards.

When in Germany look out for Lidl as most will have a free rapid charger

I can confirm this. The Maingau (EinfachStromLaden) charging card is the most important, particularly for the good price you get. Since you will mostly use the Tesla Superchargers, perhaps you can get away with just this one card, but carrying a few more doesn't hurt. Note that you usually install the app first, then order the card as well. Do not think that the app alone will suffice—many chargers don't work with the app, but do work with the card. A few don't work with the card, but do work with the app.

In addition to Lidl, also Aldi and IKEA have free fast chargers.

Put a link to Der Ladetarifrechner für dein Elektroauto on your phone's screen and set it up for the charge card you have. It is one of the best ways to find charging stations. On long-distance trips let it show fast chargers only.

Then there is ABetterRoutePlanner (ABRP), which can optimize your charging, including the choice of charging stations, to the last percent and the last minute. Install the free version on your phone, which usually suffices, and set it up for your car, using the advanced settings.

A final hint for Germany. On the autobahn (freeway) before you change lanes to the left, have a verrry good lock into your left mirror. Cars coming from behind at 250 km/h = 155 mph are not very rare. 300 km/h = 186 mph are rare, but still not unheard of. All other countries (save Afghanistan) have speed limits no higher than 140 km/h = 87 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob
I’m driving to Poland tomorrow and have planned to use only the supercharger network just for convenience, for me the most important factor is how you will charge at the destination as more often then not the car does a pretty good just of getting you there.

As others have stated abetterrouteplanner is a really useful tool and is what I used to run through different scenarios.

I’m in France this weekend and nipped into an Aldi today to buy a few things but mainly to check out how their chargers work - getting some free power is a bonus.

It was dead easy to use and there was a healthy 22KW output. When I came to disconnect I got a shock that I could just press the button on their charger and it released my cable from their machine plus unlocked my charge port.

I’m not sure they’re the same in all Aldi’s but does anytime know whether anyone could have done that and nicked my expensive cable whilst I was shopping or did it only unlock my charge port because my car was already unlocked? It was raining and so I couldn’t be bothered to stay and experiment.

Sorry, I should probably google that answer but thought the answer might be useful to others as well.

PS if you change the speed to metric on your screen don’t be so surprised when the power consumption seems to significantly drop on your next journey - I was pleased to see a number below 200 on mine - then I realised it was power used per Km not mile. Doh.

PPS - if you have bikes on the top of your car, do remember to choose the single deck on Eurotunnel - my USB stick has some sad/funny footage of a BMW X5 driver in front of me who must have forgotten he had bikes on top. Messy.

Austria will be open from 27th July for British Residents provided you've only been in countries on their approved list within the last 10 days, which is most of Europe. There will be no need to provide a negative covid test nor will quarantine be required.

please post back how your journey is. I assume that is to Warsaw. Would be good to know if there is any SC or destination chargers there

I’m driving to Poland tomorrow and have planned to use only the supercharger network just for convenience, for me the most important factor is how you will charge at the destination as more often then not the car does a pretty good just of getting you there.

As others have stated abetterrouteplanner is a really useful tool and is what I used to run through different scenarios.

I'm also going to attempt a road trip, but to Croatia.
So traveling through quite a few countries, and quite a lot of charging. My question is, that the first few super chargers in Germany I've checked are all at Hotels, having kids in the car that means that each charging break is also going to be a toilet stop. Is it generally acceptable to wander into a hotel and ask to use the toilets? Especially as a lot of the restaurants are closed so we can't even buy a cup of coffee.
Also my German is none existent, but it's ok as I believe the correct communication method is to ignorantly talk really loudly in english with large breaks. I ... AM USING.... THE.... SUPER .... CHARGER.....

• Informative
Reactions: M3noob
[caution: GCSE German alert]

Entschuldigung, kann mein kinderen zum toiletten Gefahrt bitte ?

Vielen dank.

Follow that up with,

“and whilst they are having a wee, I’ll be ‘avin a bang on the ol’ supercharger me ol’ mucker”

• Funny
Reactions: zayn
PPS - if you have bikes on the top of your car, do remember to choose the single deck on Eurotunnel - my USB stick has some sad/funny footage of a BMW X5 driver in front of me who must have forgotten he had bikes on top. Messy.

I believe all Teslas get put on single deckers anyway, I know our 3 is booked in as 'single decker transport only' automatically for our trip next month.

• Informative
Reactions: zayn
I believe all Teslas get put on single deckers anyway, I know our 3 is booked in as 'single decker transport only' automatically for our trip next month.
Yes, that is the default now.

If they run out of space on the single deck then they are prepared to book you on the double deck carriages - I was seeing no availability with my Frequent traveller tickets for the August BH weekend and so volunteering for the double deck section was the only way to get the crossing on the days I wanted.