Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How it works? It's not complicated at all. Electric motors are all around us. I'm sure his tool box is full of battery powered tools. The difference is that the batteries in those devices don't last long (same as your cell phone).

I have countless hours fixing or modifying gas cars in my life. The cool thing about a Tesla is that I don't really have to do that, ever.

The only downside to a Tesla is charging on long trips. I think it's a small downside all in all, but it is what it is. (that situation is improving quickly though) To me that is more than offset by spending 1/4th as much for fuel and maintenance, and not wasting time at gas stations or getting oil changes all year long.

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember
The only downside to a Tesla is charging on long trips. I think it's a small downside all in all, but it is what it is. (that situation is improving quickly though) To me that is more than offset by spending 1/4th as much for fuel and maintenance, and not wasting time at gas stations or getting oil changes all year long.

And while I won't discount long trips as a point of concern, I can say as someone who's done more than 10,000 miles of road-tripping in Teslas that it's generally just not a big deal. If your trip has you taking interstates (just about any interstate), it's literally no big deal at all. You will stop for approximately the same amount of time as you would in a gas car unless you're a glutton for punishment, and the only 'downside' is that your stopping locations are chosen for you (you'll stop at Superchargers, and will eat what's available nearby).

If you're doing off the beaten path, then it's a bigger issue but becoming less so every month. I've done North Dakota, rural Utah, Wyoming, etc. It's doable with a minimal amount of planning.

Sounds like you're in good shape, then.

My only comment on the Model 3 vs another EV, speaking as someone who used to own a Leaf and has a friend with a Bolt: there's no comparison. Nothing against those cars--they'd be great cars in a world where the Model 3 didn't exist. But it does...

I agree. I know I can save some money on a different EV. But I just don't see another reason other than saving a few k, which isn't that big of a deal to me.

Not to throw a wrench out there but no one discussed charging.

Depending on how far you drive daily you'll most likely want to charge at home. I drive about 150 miles a day and I installed just the basic 14-50 (RV Outlet) at my house and I'm charging and gaining about 30 miles an hour as I'm charging. After about 5-8 hours I'm topped off and ready to go. I get home from work and plug in, the scheduled charging knows that I leave at 5 in the morning and starts charging to make sure it's ready. This is also nice for me since NY has a variable rate schedule for EVs, saves me even more money. I didn't need to spend that extra 500 dollar for the Tesla charger at home, just the $35 dollar attachment for the mobile charger that came with the car.

My only issues with my Model 3 that I can complain about....
I'm not a car guy so I don't like being low to the ground, not really a fair complaint..and it's still so much fun to drive.

Super charging can take a little extra time vs the pump. But my first long distance road trip worked out really well and I was impressed. Stopped to charge, plugged in when we got there and started to clean out the car for a few minutes. Went into the store and went to the bathroom, fought with the wife over what snacks and drinks we should get. Back out to the car in about 25 minutes, really taking our time but the car was already 3/4 the way charged. Around 200+ miles in like a 30 minute stop.

I don't like to stand out and the "Tesla" really stands out.

I love the car and the resale is one of the best out there so if you try it for a few months and just don't take to it you'll be able to trade it in very easily. Tesla Model 3 leads industry in value retention, barely loses any value after a year - Electrek

Go for it......

150 miles a day is a lot. I'd barely be putting 150 miles in a week. I've also posted in another thread here about getting my work on board with installing chargers in our parking lots. It won't be a short-term solution but for a green-focused company it should be happening in the near future and surely while I still own my M3.

Having a convertible, I do kind of take pride in the car I'm in. I've gotten quite a few compliments on it while driving with the top down, and I'll admit it always felt good. I know I've stopped Tesla owners in parking lots before and am prepared for a little bit of that myself. But my husband probably wouldn't like it. How do you handle the confrontation?

The no sales tax and the $5k incentives are my no-brainers for an EV. He's more open to other EV's as his sister bought a Volt a few years ago.
We live 10 minutes from a service center :)

Don't forget the $500 incentive for installing an EV charging station at home. This was also included in the law that allows for the $5K purchase incentive (as long as the MSRP is $55K or less). Hope you are able to convince him. It's always nice to see another Model 3 on the roads of NJ!

How it works? It's not complicated at all. Electric motors are all around us. I'm sure his tool box is full of battery powered tools. The difference is that the batteries in those devices don't last long (same as your cell phone).

I have countless hours fixing or modifying gas cars in my life. The cool thing about a Tesla is that I don't really have to do that, ever.

I imagine it isn't so much as its too complicated its that plumbers and mechanics who like to know how to fix things don't like not knowing how to fix a thing. So they're uncomfortable with it. (my uncle is also a mechanic)

And while I won't discount long trips as a point of concern, I can say as someone who's done more than 10,000 miles of road-tripping in Teslas that it's generally just not a big deal. If your trip has you taking interstates (just about any interstate), it's literally no big deal at all. You will stop for approximately the same amount of time as you would in a gas car unless you're a glutton for punishment, and the only 'downside' is that your stopping locations are chosen for you (you'll stop at Superchargers, and will eat what's available nearby).

If you're doing off the beaten path, then it's a bigger issue but becoming less so every month. I've done North Dakota, rural Utah, Wyoming, etc. It's doable with a minimal amount of planning.
I've had a couple of painful road trips out to Denver in very cold weather.

I imagine it isn't so much as its too complicated its that plumbers and mechanics who like to know how to fix things don't like not knowing how to fix a thing. So they're uncomfortable with it. (my uncle is also a mechanic)
Yup. I'd also suggest that most people think they can fix their late model ICE car but in reality even that is very complicated.

I know I've stopped Tesla owners in parking lots before and am prepared for a little bit of that myself. But my husband probably wouldn't like it. How do you handle the confrontation?

I've encountered far less of this recently. The Model 3 is becoming so common place now that I rarely get asked questions about it from strangers in parking lots. This was definitely not the case when I got my 3 in March of 2018. I estimate my Model 3 was among the first 100 in all of NJ, so at the start I definitely had tons of people giving my car a double take or asking a random question about it.

My only comment on the Model 3 vs another EV, speaking as someone who used to own a Leaf and has a friend with a Bolt: there's no comparison. Nothing against those cars--they'd be great cars in a world where the Model 3 didn't exist. But it does...

Just speaking to this in general: this last friday I drove a buddy of mine out of town to pick up a Hyundai Ioniq Electric. Dirt cheap, a little over $20k after incentives, 170 mile range and most of anything you might want like adaptive cruise, one pedal driving, fast charging, etc.

But - no supercharger network. He already took a trip out of town and when he stopped at a plugshare location, there were only two units and both of them were being blocked by a Prius Prime who parked perpendicularly like a jerk.

And I don't know anything about it, really, but waht kind of support do you get as far as battery tech and longevity from Hyundai or any other "old guard" car company right now? Vs Tesla: who literally makes more batteries now than anyone else in the world combined? It just seems like if it ever really comes down to needing a new battery, you're going to be much better off with the company that invested everything into producing them at scale vs say, Nissan, and the apparent Leaf battery debacle.

And - no frunk. Why? because it still has an "engine bay" for the "electric motor". You open the hood and it pretty much looks like another ICE car. I know they do this because the car also comes in a hybrid and PHEV, but still.. its just more of the same to me. Meh.

It is so cheap though .... part of me thinks I'd actually buy one just to commute to work in, but I won't because I know I would still buy a Tesla.

I think that's a very big part of it. He thinks he, or he and his dad, can fix anything. And granted, they have fixed a lot on my ICE after a few quick youtube videos. And there's probably not a single gas-powered tool his dad hasn't fixed or tried to fix. I think there's a stubborn part of him that is so used to having to fix many things on an ICE, that he thinks there will be that many fixes needed to a Tesla and he doesn't like that he wouldn't be able to figure it out himself. I've tried to tell him there's so little that would go wrong, and a lot of updates come through wifi, but again, that's a hard concept for him to accept.

I think that's a very big part of it. He thinks he, or he and his dad, can fix anything. And granted, they have fixed a lot on my ICE after a few quick youtube videos. And there's probably not a single gas-powered tool his dad hasn't fixed or tried to fix. I think there's a stubborn part of him that is so used to having to fix many things on an ICE, that he thinks there will be that many fixes needed to a Tesla and he doesn't like that he wouldn't be able to figure it out himself. I've tried to tell him there's so little that would go wrong, and a lot of updates come through wifi, but again, that's a hard concept for him to accept.

Yeah, I figured that was it. It's deff a different mentality but most products are going in that direction anyway. Replace rather than repair. You know one time we actually used to repair broken TVs and Radios ;) instead of just buying new ones.

First off congrats on paying off your student loan! Big relief it's over I'm sure.

My dad worked at GM for decades and always worked on his own cars until they started changing how the engine or whatever was under the hood got installed, and to do anything he use to do on his cars for maintenance or replacement simply became too much of a hassle he wasn't willing to deal with any longer. I remember handing him tools while he was changing spark plugs, adjusting the carburetor, replacing or adjusting the timing belt or changing the oil. Working on the car was something he enjoyed doing (a machinist) but his level of frustration to do the work due to the changes eventually led to him going into service for most of what needed to be done. I wish he was still here to see my car and visit the Tesla plant. He always loved electric motors and the benefits of instant torque. BTW electric cars have been around for many decades so it's not new technology exactly.

Well as you probably already know, on a Tesla there are no spark plugs, no engine (just a motor/s), no oil to replace, no more smog checks to go in for and enjoyably no gas to pump. You do need to check the air and tire thread and rotate your tires and tires still need alignment (local shops familiar with Teslas and their lift points can do this btw). You need to refill your windshield washer fluid. The car does still have a 9v battery which gets charged from the main battery pack. With regen braking, you don't wear out your brakes as often like you would on an ICE car. I've had the pleasure of driving my car since 9/2018 and really it has been maintenance free with the exception of wiperfluid and tire mainenance. It's been such a pleasure to drive and I would never go back to an ICE vehicle. My husband drives a Tesla MS and while I was a bit hesitant to go EV for both cars, I have absolutely no regrets...well one, only that the Model 3 wasn't ready to purchase a year or two earlier when maintenance on my ICE vehicle was getting expensive. I charge my Model 3 at home with a Corded Mobile charger we leave plugged into our NEMA 14-50 wall outlet. The AWD version can charge at a maximum of 11.5 kW (48A) so I can get a faster charge with this set up depending on how many amps I set it for. No problems with my corded mobile charger either. It is super simple and easy to "fill up" at home overnight during non-peak times or now that PG&E changed the rate times can even plug in the morning at non-peak until 3pm. I get back from errands in the morning and I'm charged to 90% by 3pm. Most of my driving is local so I generally charge every few days.

You said you both loved the car and I think taking a leap into the EV world of no ICE engine parts will be something you will come to love. I'm sure your husband can find better things to do with his time while saving money on gasoline and maintenance.

FWIW, there are only 2 things on a Tesla that you can't reasonably fix yourself. The battery and the drive units. Everything else is similar to an ICE car. Brakes, suspension, assorted sensors, computers etc are the same things.

Tesla doesn't fix Drive units or batteries either, they just replace them. (which is something a skilled person could definitely do now) I guessing he is thinking about all the time he spends fixing old gas cars, belts, hoses, water pumps, spark plugs, alternators, blah blah. Those things don't exist on a Tesla to fail. I never enjoyed fixing my cars myself, I did it to save money and because I could. Now I have more time (and money) to spend on my other hobbies. :)

If you feel like searching for it this Youtube channel called "Out of spec motoring" has a few youtube videos about this guy that has a business in Colorado that repairs broken Teslas. He has a few videos on how he repairs Tesla Roadsters that I bet your husband / father would like.

It might show them that some parts are actually repairable ;)

some of the cars are salvaged and they buy them at auctions and bring them back to life. Because apparently if you leave the car at 0 battery for an extended period of time it can break the car. It's really interesting stuff.

I understand that the primary apprehension he has is that he expects mechanical things to break and wants to be able to fix himself. Thing is that the most complicated parts of the M3 are also far simpler then the equivalent parts of an ICE car. That results in a great deal of the parts that he would think to fix himself simply not existing in the M3.

The electric motor is the same basic idea that electric motors have had for a 100 years. Gone are all the pumps and valves to move liquids around. I dont remember if it is like a 100-1 or 1000-1 less moving parts but their is a huge difference and that makes the car far more simpler.

So he simply needs to realize he is overthinking what he could possibly need to repair, because those parts dont exist because they dont need to support a combustion engine.

You said your sister has a Volt? Has he talked to her? Since 2012 we have bought nothing but electric cars. 1st 1 were Volts. Then a 2015 Model S and a Model 3 in 2018 when the 2012 Volt was totaled. Since 2012 the total cost of maintenance for the 2 Volts and the 2 Teslas has been $80 for the Volts to each get one oil change. Only other charges for the cars was new tires.

• Love
As for the technology aspect of the car. There is a learning curve and people should read the manual to start off with and then later as needed. You'd be surprised at all the things you'd learn about the car. Also very important to know how the safety features work and where things are within the screen menu (that you can preset to your desired usage). I did Not find it difficult to get use to Standard regen braking or the screen center position. The OTA updates have been great and fun to get sometimes and on occasion have been a step back which then gets fixed in another OTA update. I love how they introduced TeslaCam and Sentry Mode after I got my car and have seen it keep improving. Certainly has helped many people in many different situations. Just read today how one Tesla owner was able to help out an ICE owner who's car was damaged by a pickup truck while pulling out of a spot next to it and all caught on the Tesla owner's TeslaCam. He sent the distraught ICE owner the video from his camera showing the car being hit and run, got the guys license plate and she was able to go to the police who found the guy and charged him. Saved her money out of pocket she would have otherwise been paying herself on the repair. Just one of many great features I've come to love about the car.

Teslas absolutely have transmissions aka gearboxes. In it is 1 forward gear, instead of many.

He loves his manual transmission trucks. He'll drive my automatic sometimes, but much prefers manual shifting. Changing speed and not having to physically shift gears, or feel/hear the change like in my car, is again, something that he will just have to get used to. I find it odd he feels it would be something he'd need to adapt to but then again I don't drive manual, ever, and have no idea what a clutch is/does/how it feels.

I understand that the primary apprehension he has is that he expects mechanical things to break and wants to be able to fix himself. Thing is that the most complicated parts of the M3 are also far simpler then the equivalent parts of an ICE car. That results in a great deal of the parts that he would think to fix himself simply not existing in the M3.

The electric motor is the same basic idea that electric motors have had for a 100 years. Gone are all the pumps and valves to move liquids around. I dont remember if it is like a 100-1 or 1000-1 less moving parts but their is a huge difference and that makes the car far more simpler.

So he simply needs to realize he is overthinking what he could possibly need to repair, because those parts dont exist because they dont need to support a combustion engine.

You said your sister has a Volt? Has he talked to her? Since 2012 we have bought nothing but electric cars. 1st 1 were Volts. Then a 2015 Model S and a Model 3 in 2018 when the 2012 Volt was totaled. Since 2012 the total cost of maintenance for the 2 Volts and the 2 Teslas has been $80 for the Volts to each get one oil change. Only other charges for the cars was new tires.

He hasn't talked with her yet but I have made the comparison multiple times, how when we visit their car is usually plugged in just to a regular outlet, how they commute mostly only on the charge and rarely use the reserve gas, how quiet it is when it starts and moves, etc. He'd definitely be okay with me getting a Volt simply because his older sister bought one and she's the "smart" one of the family. Knowing not a single person with a Tesla definitely adds to his apprehension.