Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Convincing Husband to Go Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery day!
Cherry Hill service center called today and asked if I wanted to pick it up early! (Original date was 3/21). I was nervous with all the closures that if I didnt jump on it now I would be risking any breaking news between now and Saturday. So, I went for it!

We drove to my in laws (about 25 minutes) and ended up showing it off to a number of family members and their friends. A lot of jealousy! And of course, husband had to drive it home and he really loved being able to toggle into the Creep mode (I prefer Hold for now.) He officially LOVES it!!

IMG_20200318_210904_071.jpg

husband had to drive it home and he really loved being able to toggle into the Creep mode (I prefer Hold for now.) He officially LOVES it!!
The transition from 'my SO does not want me to buy a Tesla' to 'my SO left me the ICE clunker ... AGAIN!' can be swift.

Unfortunately, the forum has little good advice how to deal with the latter ;)

Delivery day!
Cherry Hill service center called today and asked if I wanted to pick it up early! (Original date was 3/21). I was nervous with all the closures that if I didnt jump on it now I would be risking any breaking news between now and Saturday. So, I went for it!

We drove to my in laws (about 25 minutes) and ended up showing it off to a number of family members and their friends. A lot of jealousy! And of course, husband had to drive it home and he really loved being able to toggle into the Creep mode (I prefer Hold for now.) He officially LOVES it!!

View attachment 523256
OUTSTANDING! Did you take any family members/friends for rides? Beautiful photo.

• Love
Reactions: ellienovember
Delivery day!

View attachment 523256
Congrats! So glad to hear that the hubs loves it. Enjoy the ride!

OUTSTANDING! Did you take any family members/friends for rides? Beautiful photo.

Yup! Went to the in laws and drove them around the block a few times. They are amazed at the tech but definitely not the type to buy one themselves. Cousin in law lives nearby and we drove to his place, he and his roommates came out to check it out and were super jealous. They wanted me to floor it down their tiny backroad street at 8pm at night. I politely declined that request.

Now it's nestled in the driveway at around 158mi. My electrician comes first thing tomorrow morning to set up the charging outlet. I assume it will be fine until then :)

The transition from 'my SO does not want me to buy a Tesla' to 'my SO left me the ICE clunker ... AGAIN!' can be swift.

Unfortunately, the forum has little good advice how to deal with the latter ;)

That’s not true. The good advice for this situation is simple and plentiful. It may be a little bit hard on the checkbook, though...

Delivery day!

View attachment 523256

Probably a good choice. With the factory and the Bay Area and so much else shutdown, I was thinking your next post was going to be that they had deferred your delivery until the emergency ends.

Glad to hear it is going so well. :)

Reactions: DWhatley
Probably a good choice. With the factory and the Bay Area and so much else shutdown, I was thinking your next post was going to be that they had deferred your delivery until the emergency ends.

Glad to hear it is going so well. :)

That's what I was thinking. I put a down payment down but had to finance a part of it. I signed off work early, hopped over to the credit union to close the loan, get the check, picked up my sister so she could drive my old car home, then went straight to Tesla to pick it up. All in about an hour!

I was afraid there might be more shutdowns or stricter quarantine rules unveiled over the next few days so I figured I'd rather be safe and get it now rather than risk a day or two of new developments that would push my loan/delivery out another few weeks.

Delivery day!

View attachment 523256

Excellent choice in color. :D

• Love
Congratulations! I am glad to hear your husband likes it.

Free advice: Anyone who has been driving for more than two years should leave creep on. Hold mode is so cool. But, having a pedal that can slow the car down at parking lot speeds and accelerate rapidly if used incorrectly is not for anyone with over 2 years of muscle memory. I can give you at least a hundred personal or second hand examples of failed muscle memory but you probably stopped reading. A phone ringing, a leaf falling on your windshield or a squirrel moving suddenly is enough to allow your brain to forget which pedal your foot is on and it will be over before you knew it was beginning.

More free advice: most of the time you get what you pay for. ;)

Congratulations! I am glad to hear your husband likes it.

Free advice: Anyone who has been driving for more than two years should leave creep on. Hold mode is so cool. But, having a pedal that can slow the car down at parking lot speeds and accelerate rapidly if used incorrectly is not for anyone with over 2 years of muscle memory.

One exception to this rule would be drivers who would generally drive a standard transmission.

My muscle memory has 2 modes - standard and auto (which I rarely used).

The Tesla is more like standard with respect to creep and regeneration, just no gear shifting/clutch.

I do miss the clutch though -- in icy/slippery climates being able to put the car in neutral quickly with the left petal is very handy for car control. Yes reducing regeneration is similar but then you lose regeneration the rest of the time when you could make use of it.

The only problem i have is the service. Very poor out here in terms of access. in terms of issues I have had one motor replacement under warranty and now my car is no longer covered and the MCU (big screen) is dead and that will cost another 1500-2500. kind of an issue but prob no worse than cumulative BMW maintinance/issues over 4-5 years

Congrats, The 3 is a great car.

I def vote for hold. I came from Prius, then Leaf, where light/no touch on accelerator leads pretty much to a stop, no muscle memory to unlearn there.

If you or husband are kind of leery of unlearning creep like in gas cars correctly, totally pull the foot off any pedals whatsoever. The muscle memory panic should be to the middle pedal (correctly brake). And the reasons given by the other poster, really? If you panic stomp on your accelerator for a leaf or phone or squirrel, you're toast in a gas car too! OK, in ICE car maybe you have 1/4 second more time to react and undo it, but I put it into chill mode, where even an accelerator stomp takes a while to rev up.

Also, I vote for not trusting autopilot too much. It still (this many generations in) does kinda weird things when blinded by sun, road markings get confusing from old lines partially scraped off, cruising in carpool lane (if your state has that) next to stopped traffic it does random super hard stops, etc. Where it's best? Super slow crawling stop go traffic on highway, or wide open nothing happening limited access highways in good weather. The worst cases are like those FL not limited access highways, where a tractor trailer from a side road 4 way intersection can pull across all lanes while turning onto the highway = instant convertible Tesla.

Sorry to finish with such a downer with your new toy, but it's still a great car, just don't trust it to do all the driving for you.

Delivery day!

View attachment 523256