Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helvetia (& Tesla?) no longer offering extended warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with this.

I bought my extended warranty policy on 10/04, after having emailed them (Tesla Ops) on 20/01 with my VIN per the instructions.

As of today it STILL doesn't show in the app as applied to my car. It just shows my basic limited warranty as having expired on 27/03.

I have tried emailing [email protected] (aka Tesla Ops), who just reply - days later usually - telling me that "Tesla Europe validates each VIN registered". I have tried emailing [email protected] and this just auto-replies telling me that "this mailbox is no longer being monitored" - although I have had replies from it, which just tell me that I need to speak to Tesla Ops.

I have no way of contacting "Tesla Europe" directly. I found an email address online ([email protected]) which just bounces, only accepting email from within the organisation.

I even tried opening a service request - which just got closed saying they couldn't do anything to help.

As things stand right now I am £2,773 down with absolutely nothing to show for it. I haven't even have a refund telling me I'm not eligible. Other people in the same position as me who bought their extended warranty policy before or after have had it reflected in the app, and in some cases follow-up emails inviting them to take out the policy. I feel like I've just flushed £2,773 down the toilet.

Short of doing a chargeback on my credit card I have no idea how to sort this out. Thoughts?
i would just charge back it.
In reality, I do not think that this extended warranty really worth it.

it's a lot of repairs to be had for 2773 GBP. and it has too many exclusions anyway

I bought my extended warranty policy on 10/04, after having emailed them (Tesla Ops) on 20/01 with my VIN per the instructions.

As of today it STILL doesn't show in the app as applied to my car. It just shows my basic limited warranty as having expired on 27/03.

I have tried emailing [email protected] (aka Tesla Ops), who just reply - days later usually - telling me that "Tesla Europe validates each VIN registered". I have tried emailing [email protected] and this just auto-replies telling me that "this mailbox is no longer being monitored" - although I have had replies from it, which just tell me that I need to speak to Tesla Ops.

I have no way of contacting "Tesla Europe" directly. I found an email address online ([email protected]) which just bounces, only accepting email from within the organisation.

I even tried opening a service request - which just got closed saying they couldn't do anything to help.

As things stand right now I am £2,773 down with absolutely nothing to show for it. I haven't even have a refund telling me I'm not eligible. Other people in the same position as me who bought their extended warranty policy before or after have had it reflected in the app, and in some cases follow-up emails inviting them to take out the policy. I feel like I've just flushed £2,773 down the toilet.

Short of doing a chargeback on my credit card I have no idea how to sort this out. Thoughts?
If it were me, I’d find a convenient moment to go into your nearest SC and bend the manager’s ear to the effect that you’ve paid your money, got nothing for it and keep getting sent round in circles. If you have the email giving an extended warranty number, take that with you.

I am in exactly the same position. I sent an initial email to [email protected] on the 6th May and have been having an intermittent email conversation with them ever since.
On the 23rd May they said "The reason why you can not see it in your App at this moment is because the person who is responsible in making changes to the app is currently on annual leave."
They then said they would escalate it to the 'correct' team.
Chased them up on the 30th May and they said they would chase it up.
Nothing since.
Just sent another email.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I am in exactly the same position. I sent an initial email to [email protected] on the 6th May and have been having an intermittent email conversation with them ever since.
On the 23rd May they said "The reason why you can not see it in your App at this moment is because the person who is responsible in making changes to the app is currently on annual leave."
They then said they would escalate it to the 'correct' team.
Chased them up on the 30th May and they said they would chase it up.
Nothing since.
Just sent another email.
Received this back from that email earlier this evening (emphasis mine):

For a period of time our sales platform to obtain Extended Warranty was non-operational. Any customers who enquired during this period would be able to obtain a quote once the platform become operational again, as long as the terms of the Extended Warranty were met. Our investigations confirm your VIN number unfortunately was not eligible for purchase due to an expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Obviously not very happy. I have emailed back pointing out that I did email them during the period the extended warranty was unavailable to buy, at which point my warranty was still valid, and I received a response several days later that included my email in the chain - so they clearly have a record of having had my VIN.

Despite this message - I haven’t had a refund either.

Problem is at this point, if it comes to it, I don’t know who I would be taking to court. Tesla don’t provide the warranty, Millennium do, but Tesla are the gatekeepers of whether you can have it or not, since Tesla Europe confirm it.

• Helpful
Reactions: pharwood
Received this back from that email earlier this evening (emphasis mine):

Obviously not very happy. I have emailed back pointing out that I did email them during the period the extended warranty was unavailable to buy, at which point my warranty was still valid, and I received a response several days later that included my email in the chain - so they clearly have a record of having had my VIN.

Despite this message - I haven’t had a refund either.

Problem is at this point, if it comes to it, I don’t know who I would be taking to court. Tesla don’t provide the warranty, Millennium do, but Tesla are the gatekeepers of whether you can have it or not, since Tesla Europe confirm it.
Jeez. You applied well before me. I’d certainly take the email evidence to your SC and complain.

One step at a time and the answer will become clear.

I would first write a formal complaint to Tesla, they have misinformed you or there is a mistake by one party. Tesla and millennium have some contractual relationship with Tesla the bigger brother. I'd state what outcome I wanted.

I'd also inform my credit card provider the situation and they should put that sum on hold. Meaning no payment needed and no interest charges. That's not a charge back yet.

• Helpful
Mine hasn’t shown up in the app after 4 weeks, and just had my CC statement which was suspiciously low. Because Millennium refunded it.

Zero communication about any of it either, other than a confirmation of purchase. Clowns. 🤬

• Informative
Reactions: pharwood
Mine hasn’t shown up in the app after 4 weeks, and just had my CC statement which was suspiciously low. Because Millennium refunded it.

Zero communication about any of it either, other than a confirmation of purchase. Clowns. 🤬
What was the circumstances of yours? Had you dropped out of warranty while the extended warranty was unavailable to buy?

Finally received a reply to my enquiry yesterday: "customer was ineligible for purchase and should be expecting refund and cancellation of the policy processed by the insurer."

Not sure whether to accept their decision and save the cash for future repairs or challenge it? Probably going to just accept it.

I have a copy of the email from Tesla saying "The Sales Journey is temporarily unavailable. The date of request will be honoured to determine your vehicle's eligibility for the program, and you will be given an opportunity to complete your purchase at a later stage."

I got a reply yesterday which leaves me wondering what will happen if I actually try and claim.

"Thank you for raising your query to us - so as the extended warranty is through a third party company the tesla extended warranty wont show up in the application as it has no association with the tesla app. If you were to raise a query with the service center when you encounter a problem with the vehicle please mention to them that you have extended warranty using the chat feature in the Tesla app and if the activity is covered under the extended warranty they will be able to bill the company and not yourself."

Finally received a reply to my enquiry yesterday: "customer was ineligible for purchase and should be expecting refund and cancellation of the policy processed by the insurer."

Not sure whether to accept their decision and save the cash for future repairs or challenge it? Probably going to just accept it.

I have a copy of the email from Tesla saying "The Sales Journey is temporarily unavailable. The date of request will be honoured to determine your vehicle's eligibility for the program, and you will be given an opportunity to complete your purchase at a later stage."
Same boat, as you know.

I have made enquiries about forcing performance of a contract, but it's not something done via small claims and I've been told that so long as they refund you then it would basically be difficult to fight as you'd be doing so on a point of principal. Since it would be outside MCOL I suspect it would also be expensive to do.

I'm quite frustrated about it because I was ok with spending the money, I had budgeted for it, and I wanted peace of mind. I also wanted to open up a wider market if/when I come to sell the car, since I can't imagine the private market for EVs out of warranty is particularly great.

It feels like I've just been screwed over through bad luck. For whatever reason my (and your) VIN didn't get logged where it needed to get logged, and consequently it's as if we never emailed. Other people, including on here, who did the same have had theirs appear in the app and have even had an email after the fact inviting them to buy the warranty.

Not being able to actually speak to someone on the end of a phone who can or is even prepared to try and deal with your issue personally compounds the problem. "Tesla Ops" just fob me off saying "Tesla Europe" are responsible for validating the warranty qualification, [email protected] say likewise if they reply at all. The only vaguely expeditious reply I've had was from [email protected] - who just told me that I didn't qualify because my car was out of warranty. This is in spite of the fact I gave a detailed timeline of what I had sent and received, and when, etc. I've replied back to them but haven't heard back since.

I got a reply yesterday which leaves me wondering what will happen if I actually try and claim.

"Thank you for raising your query to us - so as the extended warranty is through a third party company the tesla extended warranty wont show up in the application as it has no association with the tesla app. If you were to raise a query with the service center when you encounter a problem with the vehicle please mention to them that you have extended warranty using the chat feature in the Tesla app and if the activity is covered under the extended warranty they will be able to bill the company and not yourself."
This is false, at least as far as the official extended warranty goes (the one provided by Millenium, accessed via here). This integrates with the app, follows the car if it's sold, etc. What they've said there is only true of random aftermarket warranties.

I wouldn't be confident that your warranty is valid. Especially since others in this thread have had the extended warranty appear in they app. Seems like you might be in the same position as Durzel and I.

Like @Durzel I went through the email chain only I didn’t get an invite to buy. I just just paid through Tesla once Millenium became available.

I started the process after @Durzel my car has more miles (12K+) and my warranty expired before his. It just smacks of either Tesla ineptitude or his was affected by sudden redundancy.

Perhaps trying to get the media onside might help. Failing that there is always X

• Informative
Reactions: pharwood and Durzel
Just to draw a line under this for me, I checked my Tesla app today and saw that the extended warranty has been applied. I've had no communication yet to confirm it.

The last email back and forth I had was with [email protected] - which seems to be a complaints email of sorts - who initially told me that my car didn't qualify because it was out of warranty (obviously, at that point). A follow up email from me spelling out what the Tesla and Marsh websites told people to do, and that I'd done it, prompted a reply from them asking me to "provide evidence that I had emailed to request to purchase the extended warranty before expiry of my existing warranty". I provided this a few days ago, and now it's on there.

What a saga.

Just to draw a line under this for me, I checked my Tesla app today and saw that the extended warranty has been applied. I've had no communication yet to confirm it.

The last email back and forth I had was with [email protected] - which seems to be a complaints email of sorts - who initially told me that my car didn't qualify because it was out of warranty (obviously, at that point). A follow up email from me spelling out what the Tesla and Marsh websites told people to do, and that I'd done it, prompted a reply from them asking me to "provide evidence that I had emailed to request to purchase the extended warranty before expiry of my existing warranty". I provided this a few days ago, and now it's on there.

What a saga.
Really pleased you got it sorted. Quite right too. It shouldn’t have been the faff that it was.