Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on shipping M3 overseas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't speak to anything about shipping a car overseas, but I did visit Myanmar in 2013.

Not sure how much has changed since then, but the infrastructure is not somewhere I would personally bring a car like that. I don't even mean electricity (which had its share of problems when I was there), but just overall road conditions, etc. Some of the "potholes" were more hole than road, lol.

When I was stationed in Guam (US NAVY) I had my little Pontiac Lemans ship over there and back, arrived looking like it went through a storm. Took like 30 days and it was rusted in most places that was exposed to the elements. I hope you’re end up in a connex box. So if they allow you to drive it onboard make sure you put a cover over it. And if not leave the cover in the front seat, put a big sign in the window saying to please put the cover on for you.

I would get a Ohmmu since I own one and it looks like the Error is gone with this latest patch. Reason for this spare battery s that your lead acid battery will last around 2 years or less due to the heat. So it’s good to install the Ohmmu and keep the Lead Acid one as a spare in the trunk. Burma might not have replacements for the Tesla.

You can have little to no loss in the traction battery if you follow this. It’s best if they can allow you to load the car onboard so you can do the shutdown process yourself but probably not due to safety concerns onboard. Find out what company your command will be using and call them ahead.

Charge to 90%, first thing you want to do is
Turn off Sentry mode in the menu
remove Dashcam memory card
Turn off Data sharing (No check marks)
Turn off over heating protection
Turn off “Keep Climate on”
Turn off any 3rd party Apps that can wake it
IE: Stats, TezLab, ABRP, Teslafi
and if you have FSD turn off Summons

With these off, you might lose 1 to 2 miles per day only.

And lastly never check your Tesla via the Phone App, doing so will wake the car.

TezLab App will put the car into a deep sleep once the car is onboard, great app to have.

That’s about it.

Fred

Fred, this is really good information; thank you for sharing!

Being an American overseas and being Military there maybe restrictions on where you can go You may not be able to use the charger on the Chinese side
Thomas, you are correct. All tourists are banned from entering the PRC border up north. Besides that, it's a 3 day drive to the nearest Tesla service station. I am banking I could get spares parts from China though.

I was going to ship my Model X to my place in the south of France, but the supercharging is incompatible, the warranty doesn’t follow, and whether the vehicle would have connectivity was dubious. I shipped my Range Rover instead.

I wish Tesla offered more guidance and support on this type if thing.
Sounds like we're in the same predicament. Did you end up selling your Model X?

I have shipped cars both roll on roll off (RORO) and container. No big deal if
you are well insured. It does take time and nerves. Almost all Tesla's overseas have
been shipped RORO. Sometimes having a US spec car overseas can be a big plus.
Just do lots of research. Since we do not know how much of a loss the OP would have
to take it hard to say the value of this. It can be lots of fun as well.

International EV Adapters – EVSE Adapters

There's more here as well. You'll have to do research as to the plug types to see what is used/available in the country you're going to. They do have adapters you can plug into the UMC for the British and euro style plugs.

Something to note is the tesla to non-tesla type 2 adapter. Based on the comment on the evchargeking page and a vague remembrance on people having some trouble charging on Tesla destination chargers set to tesla only, you may need that adapter if you run into any type 2 HPWC, though based on where you're going you likely will not need that.

You may want to look into a type2 -> type 1 adapter, which you then can combine with your j1772 adapter, but that's a lot of adapters so the type 2 -> tesla us would be more ideal.

I really need to sit down and write a post here and on Reddit for other military members on everything I did. I shipped mine from the US to Germany for the time I'm here (been here 1.5 years already currently slotted for 5) and I'm extremely glad I did. It's all YMMV depending on where you are going on what adapters you will need.

I regularly tweet Elon hoping he sees it and will start offering support for military members overseas. I see tons of people serving that want a Tesla but are hesitant because of the various issues (supercharging, warranty, support, network connectivity, nav, etc. All these I would gladly pay for, take my money!!!)

I will try to get something going in the next day or so, if you have any questions. Shoot me a message.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I really need to sit down and write a post here and on Reddit for other military members on everything I did. I shipped mine from the US to Germany for the time I'm here (been here 1.5 years already currently slotted for 5) and I'm extremely glad I did. It's all YMMV depending on where you are going on what adapters you will need.

I regularly tweet Elon hoping he sees it and will start offering support for military members overseas. I see tons of people serving that want a Tesla but are hesitant because of the various issues (supercharging, warranty, support, network connectivity, nav, etc. All these I would gladly pay for, take my money!!!)

I will try to get something going in the next day or so, if you have any questions. Shoot me a message.

I hope something can change and be more official around this. Even if there was an official support page without anything else that would be step up from the hoops people have to jump through. This is only going to become a more prevalent issue as more and more cars go electric; Tesla has the unique position to be able to get ahead of the curve and support scenarios that other cars may not be able to (adapters, connectivity, etc).

Tesla has supported veterans' causes in the past before, are there contacts via that channel/area to get more visibility into this issue?

Could also be that this is still a relatively small segment, but the "free" marketing they could get out of this could help offset things...

Supercharger right across from the base on the Chinese side. So charging whether out in town or even on Base shouldn’t be an issue.

View attachment 587634

China doesn’t allow foreign plated cars to cross the border. Heck they won’t even let Hong Kong cars into the mainland without special duel plates (only given to companies with big investments in the mainland). They also don’t allow anyone to drive without a Chinese DL so crossing over into China is out of the question.

That's not how electricity works in the US. 240V is the standard to every home in the US. 2x 120V current is broken up from 1x 240V coming in to the home at the breaker.
US residential service usually consists of 2 x 120V legs (and a neutral) that are 180 degrees out of phase. The instantaneous voltage between those two phases is 240V. Your electrical panel does not take a 240V leg and create 2 x 120V legs unless you have some special setup that is new to me.

I took one look at street view in Yangon and have my answer. What are you going to do if you get hit? Or the roof gets damaged? Get a beater Corolla over there and enjoy it. You won't get to drive your car on the boat, that's out of the question. It'll most likely sit at the port for a few weeks before it even has a spot on the ship, it's just a roll on roll off, no containers or nothing. Car covers are worthless, they are good for keeping dust off the car if its indoors and that's about it.

You might be able to sell it over there to someone desperate, that's about the only reason I'd take it.