Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed Wheel Speed Sensor (and my 2023 Tesla Service Lessons Learned)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a thread in the Model 3 forums about these errors that some Model S owners responded to (including me), so creating its own Model S thread.

Immediately after Supercharging on a road trip recently, I was slammed with errors, explicitly DAS_w009, ESP_w001, ESP_w002, ESP_w003, GTW_w181, DI_w039.
Functionally the vehicle lost AP1, cruise control, collision detection, regenerative braking, ABS, traction control, stability control. Made for a fun 350 miles to get home.

The service estimate says the errors will be resolved by replacing the Front Anti-lock Brake Intelligent System Wheel Speed Sensor Assembly (1037794-00-B) for $33 parts, $376.25 labor (which includes the $107.5 diagnosis charge).

These errors broke my all-time record of 15 months not needing service - I hadn't needed to do a repair since Oct 2021 when I did a 12V battery and gen1 to gen3 door handle replacement. In terms of physically visiting a Service Center, it had been 17 months (from when I got the eMMC recall/upgrade).

Now, for my lessons learned from my first Service Center experience. Might be old news to a lot people, but was all new to me.

-Do not trust that the staff messaging you in the service chat have actually looked at the status of your service.
-Do not trust that the service appt status in the app is actually the latest status of the service appt.

Scheduled my appt Wednesday evening, got the auto response "please feel free to drop off your car prior to the service to be placed in the diagnostic queue and reviewed as work load allows."
Responded Friday morning, "bringing the vehicle this morning to allow review Friday afternoon or Saturday as work allows."
Got the response Friday morning, "Perfect! Please allow 48-72 hours for diagnosis after check-in."
Drove the 50 min to the Service Center. The desk staff looked up my ticket and asked, "why are you here? The car was diagnosed yesterday (Thursday) and one part we need won't be here until Wednesday. Did you not review the service estimate?"
I showed the staff that no, the service in my app still showed as the "preparation" step.

-The app does not allow you to check every error if you have too many, but Service will look at them and charge you a diagnosis fee even if you don't check them.

When scheduling the service, the top checkbox under vehicle errors/alerts was for a recall on the frunk latch. I couldn't find a way to scroll the box for checking items, so of the alerts I had (and stated above), I was only able to check the top 3 or 4.
After talking with the staff in person, she updated the status of my appt in the app and the estimate appeared. Imagine my surprise when an alert I didn't check (and actually didn't know I had suffered, as it was not a persistent error) was looked at by service and given a second $107.50 diagnosis fee since it was a different part requiring replacement.

-If Mobile Access is enabled, you do not need to leave a fob.

The staff asked if I was able to access/unlock my vehicle via the app. I said yes, and she said "ok, we don't need a fob from you."

-No loaners or Uber credits for any customer pay or recall work.

When asked, "since the part won't be here until Wednesday, do you still want to leave it?" I responded with, "sure, I'll leave it and just use the Uber credits or a loaner if you've got one."
She dropped the bomb on me - "sir, we don't offer loaner or Uber credits unless its warranty work. Anything customer pay related, its on the customer to get to/from us."
I pointed out I do have a recall on the estimate for my frunk latch; she said that did not count.

A post-repair note: took the vehicle to the Service Center, and not only was a new wheel speed sensor assembly (1037794-00-B) required but also a new wheel hub (DRIVEN HUB, MODEL S/X, 1027170-00-C).

Per the service advisor, there was no obvious physical damage or simple disconnection, but the car continued to throw the alerts after the speed sensor was replaced. Only after also replacing the wheel hub did the car stop throwing errors.

• Informative
Reactions: danielk04
When asked, "since the part won't be here until Wednesday, do you still want to leave it?" I responded with, "sure, I'll leave it and just use the Uber credits or a loaner if you've got one."
She dropped the bomb on me - "sir, we don't offer loaner or Uber credits unless its warranty work. Anything customer pay related, its on the customer to get to/from us."
That makes sense to me. If they were to offer a loaner/Uber credits for non-warranty work they would have to increase the cost of their services to cover the costs of alternate transportation they offered you. So it might be cheaper for you to handle it yourself.

That makes sense to me. If they were to offer a loaner/Uber credits for non-warranty work they would have to increase the cost of their services to cover the costs of alternate transportation they offered you. So it might be cheaper for you to handle it yourself.
My nearest Service Center's current hourly rate is $215, not sure how that compares with other SCs (or non-EV repair centers) in the 2023 marketplace.

It was an unexpected change from the prior policy, where I had non-warranty work performed multiple times in 2021 and had either a loaner (first service) or Uber (later service). Posting as an FYI and to hopefully help out anyone else who may be surprised.

All that said, I did receive in-app messaging that Uber vouchers were discontinued, it was just after the fact.

Well, exactly. I'd rather that cost NOT be built into the customer-pay service estimates, as I have no issue with getting to/from the local Service Centers ... don't really require an Uber/loaner typically.

Honestly, I find Tesla's service & parts costs reasonable. Would prefer it stay that way.

My nearest Service Center's current hourly rate is $215, not sure how that compares with other SCs (or non-EV repair centers) in the 2023 marketplace.

It was an unexpected change from the prior policy, where I had non-warranty work performed multiple times in 2021 and had either a loaner (first service) or Uber (later service). Posting as an FYI and to hopefully help out anyone else who may be surprised.

All that said, I did receive in-app messaging that Uber vouchers were discontinued, it was just after the fact.
$215 hourly is beyond obscene for car service.

What does your local BMW, Toyota, Lexus, etc. dealer charge?
I always go to independents unless I absolutely have to go to the dealer. I think my last ICE service charge that had an hourly rate was something like $60-75 an hour. Staff level consulting engineers bill out less than $215/hr in non-tech industries, for reference. Assuming a competitive multiplier, $215/hr is around a buck fifty in annual salary. That's how obscene that rate is.

However, if the stated rate of $215 was for warranty work, that is just vaporware.

That's my understanding of ABS systems as well. My old 2001 VW Golf TDI had a weak signal from the front left ABS wheel speed sensor. I tested the sensor and it appeared just fine. However the tone ring was faulty after about 250K miles. Removing the wheel bearings, hubs, axle, etc can alter the tone ring causing an error. The tone ring was only $8 from ECS Tuning, but I opted to swap in some hubs/brakes/spindles from a GLI so I could upgrade the brakes at the same time.

Anyway, as Danielk04 stated it's probably the tone ring but Tesla sells the tone ring and hub as a completed assembly which makes the install a whole lot easier, eliminates more possibilities that it could be another issue, but is much costlier. I'm guessing they'll keep your old hub to reuse once it's refurbished.

What does your local BMW, Toyota, Lexus, etc. dealer charge?
As I gave the original $215/hr number, I'll offer a comparable. I was just in a local VW dealer; the service rate was $160/hr. I have a recall set to be performed at a CDJR dealer, so I can look to see the number there as well.
I always go to independents unless I absolutely have to go to the dealer. I think my last ICE service charge that had an hourly rate was something like $60-75 an hour. Staff level consulting engineers bill out less than $215/hr in non-tech industries, for reference. Assuming a competitive multiplier, $215/hr is around a buck fifty in annual salary. That's how obscene that rate is.

However, if the stated rate of $215 was for warranty work, that is just vaporware.
The $215/hr was not for warranty work, it was for the wheel speed sensor assembly and hub replacement described in my original post (and a battery coolant heater replacement, discussed in a different post) and work was billed using the $215 rate. Direct example: the Isolation/Insulation Test step as part of the battery coolant heater replacement was billed at $10.75, aka 3 minutes.