Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice please: Trade-in 2017 MX 100D w/free supercharging for a 2024 MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am feeling very tempted by the offer to transfer my free supercharging and FSD... The cost will be about $12k. Are there any folks who moved from an MX to MY? How is the ride, road noise, etc? My MX drive unit and battery warranty expire in a year. Thoughts and advice?

If you love the X, you’ll have issues w the Y. The Y is smaller, lighter, and in some areas they are in everyone’s driveway. The X is a heavy, spacious, cruising beast w unnecessarily complex rear doors (IMO). The Y is awesome, but the X is awsomer. On the other hand, you’re warranty will expire in a year on the X, so that might be a consideration to get the car of the masses with free fuel.

Reactions: Pheadrus
I am selling my P100D Model S for a Model Y now that the FSD transfer is here, plus I get $1000 off for being a CT reservation holder. Yes there will be some tradeoffs in quality of the ride and some features but if we are all honest, any of the Tesla cars are great and it really comes down to how much of a princess you are haha.

I'm doing the same thing right now, trading in the 2017 MX 100D for a 2024 MYP.
The FSD + Free Supercharging + Cybertruck extra $1000 off + Tax Credit right off the top at purchase time + $1000 off in february made the deal too sweet. I already also had a 2023 Y, so now both me and my wife will have Ys
I have lived with both the X and the Y and here is my take:

Things we'll miss from the 2017 Model X
A) Air Suspension, Its very smooth even over a newer Y with comfort suspension.
B) Wow Factor, still nothing much like it on the road and still turns heads 6 years later (good and bad)
C) Automatic Opening Doors
D) Panoramic windshield (It's so unique and fun to look through, especially when visiting national parks or scenic areas.)

Things we won't miss from the 2017 Model X
A) The falcon wing doors are incredibly nice for ingress, egress especially with small children, car seats, old people , but our children are older now and opening and closing the falcon wing doors takes several seconds longer at carpool than it does in the Y. In the Y the kids just jump out and shut the door and we go, the X isn't bad at all, but the Y is just simpler and quicker to go.
B) The 2017 Model X cup holders are awkwardly positioned also I feel like all the center console features in this car are just a bit strange and awkward to use, I won't be missing this.
C) When your air suspension module on each wheel eventually starts leaking, its $1000 a pop to fix, (we've replaced 2 already) I imagine at some point when the fancy doors fail it could be a disastrous repair bill, moving to the Y we will be in warranty again and future repairs will most likely be cheaper than they would be on the X.
D) Even though we upgraded the media center console, its still much slower compared to the Ryzen powered ones in the Y.
E) The falcon wing door pads rub the paint, so I have to replace a strip of PPF on the door frame every year so this doesn't happen. I won't have to do this on the Y.

Things we are looking forward to with the New Performance Y
A) FSD works better on the newer cameras and hardware, being able to transfer it is SO nice.
B) Center console and cabin environment is clean and well laid out.
C) We'll be under warranty
D) We're able to almost trade the 2017 X straight across selling it 3rd party (at least it seems so based on current prices. They've dropped a lot and I still have to find a buyer, but can't sell until new one is delivered and FSD is transferred anyways.)
E) The Y is zippier and more fun to drive, easier to navigate in parking lots, my wife and I both enjoy a sportier drive.

Regarding replacing with a new X vs. new Y
A) A new model X in my opinion isn't worth the 35-40K extra over the Y unless you need to comfortably seat 6 or 7 people. We had a 7 seater X and they spent the entire life of the vehicle folded down except maybe 5-6 times we used them.
B) The model X is more spacious, we were able to fit all our camping gear plus a small inflatable boat which I don't think we can do in the Y without a special rack or cargo storage hitch, so X wins there, but still.. for the 1-2 times a year, its probably not worth the expense. It's just really hard to justify an X when the Y exists. While the Y is not as big as the X, it is still has a LOT of cargo space.

• Informative
Reactions: granget and brkaus
I also pulled the trigger and we got a new MY for all the incentives going on in Feb. FSD transfer, $1,000 Cybertruck reservation discount, $1,000 promo, $2500 inventory price reduction, and $7500 tax discount, oh and we have warranty again. Am in the process of selling 2019 Model S. Great car but hard to pass on this great value for the Y.

I found the 2017 X ride quality atrocious. We were all set to buy one back then but backed out after a test drive. Even our 2021 Y rides better than those initial model years of the X. Not to mention the rubbing between the FWD and frame of the car. Every X in the lot exhibited contact damage that wore through the paint.

Later years were much improved and fixed the rubbing between the rear doors and frame. The ride finally became luxury smooth with the revised Raven air suspension. I think going from those early X to a new Y is a smart move, especially if you can carry over the unlimited Supercharger and FSD perks. The Y actually has more legroom in the second row compared to the X (due to risers in the Y providing cavernous toe space beneath the front seats). I am 5'9" and can fully straighten my legs while in the backseat of the Y, but can't do the same in the 2nd row of an X. The Y is also more efficient than those earlier Xes.

I wish we still had our Raven S to take advantage of the carryover free unlimited lifetime Supercharging and FSD. Oh well, still love our Y. I still think the X us great and love the FWD, but the later years were much better than 2016-2018. If memory serves, Long Range Ravens were introduced around April 2019 then the Palladium Refresh around 2022. I wouldn't trade a Raven X or newer for a Y, but early X for a Y makes more sense. Sucks losing that second screen, that's what I miss most from our S to Y journey.

Last edited:
The Y is better built
I went ahead and pulled the trigger trading the 2017 MX for a 2024 MYLR. Great experience and trade-in. Very happy so far with FSD and free supercharging transferred immediately.

I was in a similar situation. IMO, the 3/Y is the better car. The only thing I miss about the X is the auto opening doors, but Tesla ruined that after they removed the sensors.