Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advise on canceling my order and purchasing an existing inventory car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No ICE

2016 S75D pearl AP1, & 2014 silver S85 AP1
Apr 10, 2016
Kansas City
I have a 90D that is in transit, arrives next Monday and set to deliver to us on Wednesday. The price 102,950. Ordered it just the way we wanted it. We had originally planned on getting a 75D from the get go but I changed my order during the seven day window to the 90D. I Just wanted the better range but I admit that was really a stretch. However, now with these great deals coming up I am considering canceling and going back to the 75D. It won't be the exact same configuration we had placed, but it will be close enough. For 22k difference I think I can easily live with it!
? Is has anyone done this at the last minute? What is the process to cancel? Is it too late? I assume it is not too late considering no paperwork has happened yet. I would be out my 2500 deposit and still yeild a 19k difference in vehicle price?

What do you all think?

Someone posted yesterday doing the same thing. They were able to do it without losing their deposit. If you don't need the extra range, and can live with the changes (color etc) I'd go for it.

I have a 90D that is in transit, arrives next Monday and set to deliver to us on Wednesday. The price 102,950. Ordered it just the way we wanted it. We had originally planned on getting a 75D from the get go but I changed my order during the seven day window to the 90D. I Just wanted the better range but I admit that was really a stretch. However, now with these great deals coming up I am considering canceling and going back to the 75D. It won't be the exact same configuration we had placed, but it will be close enough. For 22k difference I think I can easily live with it!
? Is has anyone done this at the last minute? What is the process to cancel? Is it too late? I assume it is not too late considering no paperwork has happened yet. I would be out my 2500 deposit and still yeild a 19k difference in vehicle price?

What do you all think?

Understand why you might be a tad upset. I would make the case that you ordered the car based on a "one price, no haggle", built to order business model. Now that this has changed, ask for a discount or a waiver of your cancellation fee.

Reactions: number12
Thanks all for your helpful replies. I did go into the tesla store today and spoke to my store rep. Really what I wanted most was for tesla to discount my current 90D, similar to what the online inventory has been posting all week now. That would have saved me $8500. Unfortuanlty he was not able to do that, so I went with my back up plan and canceled my order and ordered the exact same config in the 75D. I lost my $2500 but netted out a savings of $16500. The local store rep was extemly helpful and completely understood my decision. He waved the delivery fee for me and reposted my $1000 referral savings to my new 75D. I will have my new car the same day I was get my old one next weds!
He also mentioned the he and his staff had no idea that this going to take place, and it has taken them by surprise as well.