Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In car camera. Should I cancel my Tesla order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know where those numbers came from. Elon's numbers are total cost of ownership as seen in the in Tesla Shareholder meeting:View attachment 938560
From 11 months of ownership and 8,000 miles of driving. Gas here is $2.79 today and electricity is $0.09 per kwh. I haven't paid any attention to diesel recently, but higher cost per gallon and better mileage than gasoline. Hence the approximate $0.15 - $0.20 for fuel and YMMV.

Of course that's not the total cost of ownership, but the insurance on the Y is about 1/2 of the insurance on my Kia, (and I had a low rate with a 100% safety score). So the chart may be correct for insurance on a Toyota, but it's quite inaccurate on a Kia and I expect also on a Y.. Depreciation? We'll have to see how that goes. The Kia appreciated $16,700 in the 3 years I had it (& 20,000 miles). It will be hard for the Y to beat that, but if FSD gets approval and fully released, then even depreciation on the Tesla will be a winner also.

Not to worry about the camera. You will find that almost nothing about the car will work like you expect it to. Lots of things won't work at all, but they're not deal breakers.

Focus on stuff like -

There's no engine, points, plugs, injectors, glow plugs, dea fluid, carburetor, distributor, radiator, fan belt, starter motor / solenoid, etc. Just a fairly large Frunk where you can put all that stuff the would be in the trunk, except you hate it bouncing around loose back there. Things like booster cables, fire extinguishers, umbrellas, etc. Then the real trunk is normally empty so you can just load it up and empty it out without sorting or pawing through the stuff that used to stay there always.

There's almost no maintenance. No more oil changes. No trips to the dealer, "You need to have your transmission flushed..., You need to have your differential fluid changed..., You need to have your catalytic converter(s) replaced...". Yes, at some point you will have to replace windshield wipers, but the guy at the parts store would probably put them on for you and the tires will need replacing once in a while, but the tire stores are expert at that and are great to work with, (and have no interest in replacing your blinker fluid).

It's a very efficient machine. Gas or diesel is / was something like $0.15 or $0.20 per mile and electricity is more like $0.03 per mile. (YMMV).

It's a very safe vehicle. Certainly the safest car out there and maybe the safest ground transportation.

It's very quiet and does have a great sound system if you care to use it.

Not fully fleshed out yet, but looks like they are working toward a service system that will come to you at home or on the road, in the unlikely event of one of the few remaining moving parts failing.

After 11 months of ownership, I'm quite pleased with mine, especially the low cost of ownership and no dealership hassles.
Yes. I need to stop worrying and stay focused on the things you mentioned. The vehicles I have now are rock solid reliable but I bet the Tesla will be too. They're everywhere around here. You can't even look on the highway without seeing one at any time.

Fuel/EV : My old natural gas civic cost 10 cents a mile to run, my prius prime is 13 cents a mile, Tesla about 12 cents a mile
was that with old gas prices as well? also how is the prius prime more efficient at $5 / gallon?? because i did buy tesla to save money

even at 35mpg the civic is more like 12 cents / mile? why is your tesla 12 cents / mile? are you including insurance or something?

i'm paying under 10 cents / kw and get almost 4 miles per kw so i'm around 2.5 cents per mile for energy costs

Last edited:
Reactions: legendsk
was that with old gas prices as well? also how is the prius prime more efficient at $5 / gallon?? because i did buy tesla to save money

even at 35mpg the civic is more like 12 cents / mile? why is your tesla 12 cents / mile? are you including insurance or something?

i'm paying under 10 cents / kw and get almost 4 miles per kw so i'm around 2.5 cents per mile for energy costs

current prices. Electric price is 39 cents a kWh here......
(gas around here is 4.50ish, CNG is 1.80 now but was 1.20-1.50 when I had it) Use above site, I have a lifetime of 300Wh/Mile which equates to 30 kWh/100 miles

current prices. Electric price is 39 cents a kWh here......
(gas around here is 4.50ish, CNG is 1.80 now but was 1.20-1.50 when I had it) Use above site, I have a lifetime of 300Wh/Mile which equates to 30 kWh/100 miles
holy snikeys 39 cents / kwh ... u need solar!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hello everyone. I have a MY on order. The in car camera was already a little concerning but now, apparently Tesla wants to monitor your face at all times. Does this mean that if I look tired or the camera is covered, that the car will simply shut off? Maybe I should pick a different make or just keep my diesel truck? I really want the Tesla but $73,000 is a lot of money for a driveway ornament that won't move. Thanks.

So essentially you want to admit that you want to drive sleepy. If you look sleepy....chances are you probably are and shouldn't be driving anyways. I say that Tesla is trying to ensure safety here. Concerns about an in-car camera are crazy. You know the other EV makes also have in-car cameras to monitor your face to ensure you are not treating Autopilot like FSD. Its going to be a thing in the near future and for good reason.

So essentially you want to admit that you want to drive sleepy. If you look sleepy....chances are you probably are and shouldn't be driving anyways. I say that Tesla is trying to ensure safety here. Concerns about an in-car camera are crazy. You know the other EV makes also have in-car cameras to monitor your face to ensure you are not treating Autopilot like FSD. Its going to be a thing in the near future and for good reason.
Well I guess some people are content with the car controlling them. Others prefer to control the car. We've probably discussed this subject enough so I'm done with it. Apparently only Tesla knows what they plan to do with their little in car cam and they're not telling us. I'm still going to buy the car. If that feature causes future problems, I can always sell. I think I'll hang onto my diesel truck as a backup just in case. Thank you everyone who gave constructive replies.

Well I guess some people are content with the car controlling them. Others prefer to control the car. We've probably discussed this subject enough so I'm done with it. Apparently only Tesla knows what they plan to do with their little in car cam and they're not telling us. I'm still going to buy the car. If that feature causes future problems, I can always sell. I think I'll hang onto my diesel truck as a backup just in case. Thank you everyone who gave constructive replies.
Be sure to opt out of binding arbitration, you have a very limited amount of time after purchase to do so. This will keep all legal avenues open to you in the future.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Here's my experience. Since they started using the camera to keep an eye on the driver, I can drive for miles without getting the steering wheel nag. Makes Autopilot much more usable on long trips.

So counter to worries about making the car less usable, it's made it more usable.

I remember the early 70s when some people were saying there was no way they were going to trust the cruise control, and people that use them are a danger to everyone on the road.

There will always be luddites.