Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In car camera. Should I cancel my Tesla order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ALSO.....it just would possibly shut off AP/FSD....not the car( Which I would rather have it stay on than having an impaired driver IMHO). The nagging is annoying as hell, but has gotten better recently(almost say as 2021). My Prius prime has adaptive cruise control and NEVER nags(AP is Adaptive cruise control + Lane centering mostly)

Hello everyone. I have a MY on order. The in car camera was already a little concerning but now, apparently Tesla wants to monitor your face at all times. Does this mean that if I look tired or the camera is covered, that the car will simply shut off? Maybe I should pick a different make or just keep my diesel truck? I really want the Tesla but $73,000 is a lot of money for a driveway ornament that won't move. Thanks.

It’s probably new FSD related requirement; We all have different reasons for liking/buying an MY, if you really want it Go Fir It.. live it up👍🏻

Reactions: 404 Not Found
did you attached a plug to the end of your wall connector? thats so strange... i suppose its a mobile wall connector now lol

Tesla even sold a version of the Gen 2 Wall Connector for a while with a 14-50 cable attached. Great if you want to have the socket available for other stuff like welding, etc.

Tesla even sold a version of the Gen 2 Wall Connector for a while with a 14-50 cable attached. Great if you want to have the socket available for other stuff like welding, etc.
Nobody man enough to weld owns an electric car 😂

Can this new "feature" read my eyes if I am wearing extremely dark polarized sunglasses? What if I'm wearing a mask AND sunglasses. Wondering what they'll do in those use cases. How about a driver who has recently had a stroke or Bell's Palsy -- their face features or eyes are drooped and appear as if drowsiness is the cause has this feature unfairly warn or nag them, or begin to limit the car's use? I think Tesla is entering an era that might bring lawsuits and complaints by drivers who are unfairly suspected/targeted. The media could have a field day with stoies of improper interpretations. I really hope there is an opt-out. For Tesla insurance customers, there might not be an opt-out.

Reactions: 404 Not Found
I know you are joking, I’m saying the install is wrong. You can’t add a cord to a hardwired device that isn’t made for one.
Also, you need GFCI protection for the 14-50 receptacle to meet code, but the Tesla specifies no GFCI for the wall connector, which is another issue.
I wouldn't say you can't (since he just did hah) ... I'm not familiar with the CEC although I probably should be regarding GFCI

Can this new "feature" read my eyes if I am wearing extremely dark polarized sunglasses? What if I'm wearing a mask AND sunglasses. Wondering what they'll do in those use cases. How about a driver who has recently had a stroke or Bell's Palsy -- their face features or eyes are drooped and appear as if drowsiness is the cause has this feature unfairly warn or nag them, or begin to limit the car's use? I think Tesla is entering an era that might bring lawsuits and complaints by drivers who are unfairly suspected/targeted. The media could have a field day with stoies of improper interpretations. I really hope there is an opt-out. For Tesla insurance customers, there might not be an opt-out.
We realize this is complete speculation, right?
Tesla never said that will stop anyone from driving the car based on the look of his face… we are talking about the camera detecting someone literally looking elsewhere and not paying attention at the road in order to alert him to pay attention… people with bell’s palsy and recent strokes still have their eyes on their faces, they don’t grow eyes on the back or the top of their heads…

Not to worry about the camera. You will find that almost nothing about the car will work like you expect it to. Lots of things won't work at all, but they're not deal breakers.

Focus on stuff like -

There's no engine, points, plugs, injectors, glow plugs, dea fluid, carburetor, distributor, radiator, fan belt, starter motor / solenoid, etc. Just a fairly large Frunk where you can put all that stuff the would be in the trunk, except you hate it bouncing around loose back there. Things like booster cables, fire extinguishers, umbrellas, etc. Then the real trunk is normally empty so you can just load it up and empty it out without sorting or pawing through the stuff that used to stay there always.

There's almost no maintenance. No more oil changes. No trips to the dealer, "You need to have your transmission flushed..., You need to have your differential fluid changed..., You need to have your catalytic converter(s) replaced...". Yes, at some point you will have to replace windshield wipers, but the guy at the parts store would probably put them on for you and the tires will need replacing once in a while, but the tire stores are expert at that and are great to work with, (and have no interest in replacing your blinker fluid).

It's a very efficient machine. Gas or diesel is / was something like $0.15 or $0.20 per mile and electricity is more like $0.03 per mile. (YMMV).

It's a very safe vehicle. Certainly the safest car out there and maybe the safest ground transportation.

It's very quiet and does have a great sound system if you care to use it.

Not fully fleshed out yet, but looks like they are working toward a service system that will come to you at home or on the road, in the unlikely event of one of the few remaining moving parts failing.

After 11 months of ownership, I'm quite pleased with mine, especially the low cost of ownership and no dealership hassles.

It's a very efficient machine. Gas or diesel is / was something like $0.15 or $0.20 per mile and electricity is more like $0.03 per mile. (YMMV).
I don't know where those numbers came from. Elon's numbers are total cost of ownership as seen in the in Tesla Shareholder meeting:
TeslaCost.jpg

Last edited: