Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In car camera. Should I cancel my Tesla order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I have a MY on order. The in car camera was already a little concerning but now, apparently Tesla wants to monitor your face at all times. Does this mean that if I look tired or the camera is covered, that the car will simply shut off? Maybe I should pick a different make or just keep my diesel truck? I really want the Tesla but $73,000 is a lot of money for a driveway ornament that won't move. Thanks.

How is it "fantastic" if the car can't be driven?
If your body language indicates that you are too tired or intoxicated to drive then you are likely a danger to others on the road. At the moment, the only thing that the camera will take away from you is driver assist features, I don't think it shuts the car down completely.

I'm old, under stress, and look like *sugar* all the time. My car drives fine. On the other hand, if I had a heart attack and the cameras picked that up and stopped the car safely, then I would be relieved my heart attack didn't injure or kill someone else. That would only happen if the heart attack occurred while using FSDb. But 'features' change all the time on Teslas and are pushed to you via updates, so that may change in the future.

The car knows where you are at all times. The cameras can monitor everything they see at all times. Tesla staff have been exposed as sharing some of those videos. If any of that makes you uncomfortable, by all means buy another, less intrusive, car.

If you are buying a Tesla because of the FSDb and the ability to go from A-B without having to be fit to drive, and you don't want the car to stop you from doing so, then you need to examine your conscience and whether you should be allowed behind the wheel at all. You'll end up losing that privilege no matter what you drive; the only question is if you do so because the car shuts down or because it comes to a violent stop injuring you or someone else and leads to impaired or distracted driving charges.

I'm a professional driver of the highest order, Class A. I can handle being a bit tired while driving and know when to stop . In fact one reason I want the car is Camp Mode so I can do just that. But a car that shuts off if you blink 5 times in a minute is useless. I have no interest in Autopilot or FSD. Those are the things I consider unsafe (how many have been killed now?) I just want to drive the car myself and not have some system tell me I can't.

...But a car that shuts off if you blink 5 times in a minute is useless. I have no interest in Autopilot or FSD. Those are the things I consider unsafe (how many have been killed now?) I just want to drive the car myself and not have some system tell me I can't.
You are making some big assumptions. As far as I know, there are no details about exactly how this will work and I can't imagine Tesla being too aggressive in how it determines whether or not you are alert enough to drive. And there is no information about what it will do if you are not alert enough - maybe it'll just flash a warning on the screen. We don't know.

If you drive a lot, I think you will like Autopilot. I didn't think I would use it very much, but I am impressed with how well it works, and how it removes a lot of stress from driving on certain roads. So I didn't think I would use it much, but now I love it and use it whenever I can. That said, I don't think I would ever trust FSD.

I'm a professional driver of the highest order, Class A. I can handle being a bit tired while driving and know when to stop . In fact one reason I want the car is Camp Mode so I can do just that. But a car that shuts off if you blink 5 times in a minute is useless. I have no interest in Autopilot or FSD. Those are the things I consider unsafe (how many have been killed now?) I just want to drive the car myself and not have some system tell me I can't.
You realize no one ever claimed that the car would shut down if you are tired, right? You are the only one making that claim...

You realize no one ever claimed that the car would shut down if you are tired, right? You are the only one making that claim...
It's not a claim. It's a question. I don't know how intrusive it is or will be some day. Right now I have $250. at stake plus more for wiring the house and the Tesla Wall Connector I installed last night. My only concern is that I might blow $73,000 on a car that won't drive. A reasonable concern I think. Now I understand no one knows the answer yet but what about Autopilot? Does it already rely on the interior camera or not?

In car camera never leaves the car. Tesla has said many times they do not monitor it nor does the car transmit it. However they can pull external camera footage since they use that to train the neural net. You may have heard about the kerfluffle and employees seeing footage. To be clear, that was external footage, not the internal camera.

Hello everyone. I have a MY on order. The in car camera was already a little concerning but now, apparently Tesla wants to monitor your face at all times. Does this mean that if I look tired or the camera is covered, that the car will simply shut off? Maybe I should pick a different make or just keep my diesel truck? I really want the Tesla but $73,000 is a lot of money for a driveway ornament that won't move. Thanks.

You can just put a piece of tape over it unless you want to use autopilot. But no it doesnt bother me. Like, what do you think they are going to do? Laugh at you from a distance?

658E21AB-533C-4D57-8815-242F1BC3AE02.png

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I still really want this car and will probably take it. Nothing else compares to a Tesla and I've sat in or driven pretty much all of them. I already knew about the camera and Musk said is was for FSD which I'll never have. Now I hear it can maybe shut off Autopilot if the driver is misusing it. I can accept that too. But for all driving? That's going too far as the article points out. What will it do? That's what worries me. This was announced after I placed my order. I think Tesla needs to stop treating people like the robots in their plants. They are sure to lose sales if they continue down this path.

I am not sure why you are doubling down on the "Car wont move" statements / questions in this thread. No where at all has it said ANYWHERE that the car would not move if it does not see your eyes. This is a claim / question being made only by you. Unless you have proof that this is the case, I am going to say, emphatically, that No where is this said it is the case, so the answer is, emphatically, NO YOU WILL NOT BE REQUIRED TO HAVE A CABIN CAMERA VIEW YOUR FACE TO DRIVE THE CAR NORMALLY, and intimating anything else is actually irresponsible / borderline trolling.

Now, As for Autopilot / FSD, that may require cabin camera, I dont know, but you said "Ornament in the driveway that wont move" which is extreme hyperbole, since neither autopilot nor FSD are required in any way, shape or form to drive the vehicle ("move").

Surely, if FSD is 'safer' than manual driving generally then it would be insane to withdraw FSD from a driver who is apparently tired/drowsy. Definitely warn the driver somehow but you don't take away the feature that is keeping the driver safer than they would have been otherwise.
(The article referenced even suggests that Tesla could/will use that argument for autonomous vehicles.)

P.s. If Tesla engineers really want to watch me picking my nose as I singalong to the Bay City Rollers, then good luck to them; I really don't care.

Reactions: CyberGus