Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Wheels and Indicated Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have 19” sport wheels, if I switch to 18 aero wheels will the indicated range increase on the “dash screen? Are the size/style of wheels somehow input into the software of the M3?

I have a RWD LR M3 and I want the maximum range possible. I have reviewed Teslike’s range spreadsheet.

Sorry if this was answered somewhere else.

Does tesla give any indication of what a person might expect in better efficiency?

And If I were to guess I'd say maybe .3 increase in range on an 80% charge.

Tesla doesn’t rate individual wheel and configuration combos. I can’t remember exactly where I read it, but I think Tesla says that Aeros add 10% range over other wheels. Based on my personal testing I can vouch for that statement. I went from Aeros to aftermarket 19” turbines and my consumption went from 230 wh/mi to 260 wh/mi over the last several thousand miles without major changes in temperature or driving habits.

Wow, 10% for wheel dressing. That is significant.

CO rocket, same diameter tire package? There isn't a chance the tire diameter is a tiny bit smaller?

Yes the larger rims have a smaller sidewall so the overall diameter is the same. Besides the aerodynamic benefits of the covers, each aero wheel weighs 6-8 lbs less depending if the covers are on or not (29 lb aftermarket rim vs 21-23 lb aero rim) From my understanding the wheel weight also comes into play with efficiency.

i have 19” sport wheels, if I switch to 18 aero wheels will the indicated range increase on the “dash screen? Are the size/style of wheels somehow input into the software of the M3?

According to the article below, your actual range should increase immediately if you switch to aero wheels. An increase of 31 miles at 75 mph is significant.

The rated range would also adjust but gradually, not immediately. Rated range is calculated based on your average wh/mi. As this decreases because of the aero wheels, your rated range will increase.

Tesla starts production of the Model 3 Mid Range - Teslike.com