Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aerowheel Paint Job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As demonstrated by @stuckintraffic’s thread there is at least a 4% increase in efficiency with the aero wheels. And for a lot of ev owners, like myself, range is really important. Certainly when I bought my Model S I opted for the longest range available at the time.

Given that the aesthetics of the covers is big question for many people, I am surprised that no one, in an aftermarket capacity or even at Tesla, has come up with a paint job that can make them more appealing. I am sure the ability exists to make some covers that would mimic three dimensional spokes or designs, or even more creative designs perhaps, while the car is stationary. Of course, once moving, few care what the covers look like. People are willing to pay significant amounts of money for such aesthetic touches to their Tesla’s wheels as the red break callipers. I am sure the same would go for the aero wheel covers.

I saw a silver Model 3 in Santa Cruz, CA last week with aero wheels painted silver. It looked great! No trompe l'oeil, just solid silver. Wish I'd been able to snap a photo in time, but I was on my bike, and those cars are just so darn fast : ) I took my aeros off a while ago (when my cap kit arrived), have noticed very little difference in range, but that Tesla owner figured out a great solution. If you're on the forum and read this, let us know about your paint job!

I saw pictures of the guy a while back that painted his Aero wheel covers silver to match his car. I really liked that since my car is silver, but did not like that the dark grey metallic rim is visible. So I had decided to paint my Aero covers a dark grey metallic to blend in more with the wheel rim. I had the body shop just match the dark grey metallic color out of the 2-tone colors on the covers. I haven't put them on my car yet because I'm not ready to swap to winter wheels/tires at the moment.
IMG_20181105_144702.jpg IMG_20181105_150319.jpg