Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Affordable Monoblock Forged! VS Forged Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Somehow this brand never came up on my numerous searches.

There's one Amazon review where buyer stated that the packaging indicated a max torque rating of 95 lb/ft only, so they returned it. Can you confirm?
From what I remember it does not say max torque is 95. It just says torque to 95 which I agree is a little confusing whether that is the max or just a generic recommendation. I believe its the latter.

I was worried about this too so I looked into what alloy they used and found on their site that they use "Cold Forged Chrome Vanadium steel 50BV30" (same as Gorilla lugs used by many) . Then I did some research and found out that this is one of the strongest alloys in the the industry for wheel lugs and often used in high performance applications. That made me feel better about their strength. Also I have had these for several months and have put them through some very harsh g-force loads with my driving. No problems so far.

Last edited:
I called Mackin today and was talking to a fairly uninformed person. First he said they recommend torquing to manufacturers recommendation. Then I told him the manufacturer recommends 129 ft-lbs and he that’s what they recommend. I ask, are you sure? Most manufacturers recommend 75-100 ft lbs. And I ask, will they break? He goes to ask someone else and comes back and says he thinks it’s ok. Then I ask what’s the max torque and he goes and talks to the other person again and comes back and say they don’t know but think that the stud will break before the lug. Wasn’t very confidence inspiring...

Then I call 2 local resellers and they both say they don’t recommend because monsters are catering to the Japanese tuner market and the torque requirements are much less. And both thought that 95 was the max...

Mackin website has a fitment guide and Tesla isn’t listed as a compatible car, for whatever reason.

Elsewhere I posted a thread asking for lug recs other than McGard or gorilla and no responses....

I think I’m going McGard. They list model s as fitment and they’re oem for many manufacturers. Sure they’re ugly but can’t mess around with wheels potential flying off.

• Informative
Reactions: arrow9956
I called Mackin today and was talking to a fairly uninformed person. First he said they recommend torquing to manufacturers recommendation. Then I told him the manufacturer recommends 129 ft-lbs and he that’s what they recommend. I ask, are you sure? Most manufacturers recommend 75-100 ft lbs. And I ask, will they break? He goes to ask someone else and comes back and says he thinks it’s ok. Then I ask what’s the max torque and he goes and talks to the other person again and comes back and say they don’t know but think that the stud will break before the lug. Wasn’t very confidence inspiring...

Then I call 2 local resellers and they both say they don’t recommend because monsters are catering to the Japanese tuner market and the torque requirements are much less. And both thought that 95 was the max...

Mackin website has a fitment guide and Tesla isn’t listed as a compatible car, for whatever reason.

Elsewhere I posted a thread asking for lug recs other than McGard or gorilla and no responses....

I think I’m going McGard. They list model s as fitment and they’re oem for many manufacturers. Sure they’re ugly but can’t mess around with wheels potential flying off.
The people you called are low paid people answering phones. They have no clue, but the product is good. All that matters is what the alloy composition of the lug is, not what some stupid guy on the phone who knows nothing about the product says. That guy on the phone did not design the lug, nor did he pick the alloy. Mackin lugs are made of "Cold Forged Chrome Vanadium steel 50BV30" which is identical to the steel used by Gorilla lugs if you do the research. This is about as good as it gets.

Regarding compatibility. You'll see that since Tesla, and the Model 3 especially, is relatively new, many manufacturers including wheel makers will not list Tesla as compatible with many of their products when if fact they are. But that is meaningless. You should not be relying on anyone telling you that anyway. Again go with the specs: 60 degree conical, M14 x 1.50 19mm hex. If the specs where not there I would not have bought even if they claimed compatibility. But the specs where there and they fit like a glove better than the stock lugs which would not have fit in the narrower after market wheel holes.

Fine if you want to pay more, go ugly, and without a more diverse choice in finishes but I can assure you that your wheels won't fall off. These lugs are stronger than the studs and like I said before I have put these lugs under great stresses and have had no issues.

Last edited:
What's with all the butt hurt? I'm just the messenger and regurgitated the conversations that I had with the distributers and resellers. Are you an engineer, metallurgist, or have any experience with manufacturing? Basically you're stating that these lugs are compatible and safe based on the fact that they are using the same steel alloy used as Gorilla? Somehow I think it's a little more complicated than that....
Fact- Mackin the distributor doesn't know the max torque spec of the monster lugs
Fact- 2 resellers that Mackin directed to me to recommended against using the Monster lugs citing max tq at 95 ft-lbs
Fact- Monster does have a fitment sheet but doesn't list Tesla. Maybe this means something and maybe it doesn't. What it probably means is that they never tested the torque to 129 ft-lbs (see below)
Speculation- max tq is 95 (no one seems to know)
Speculation- using the same steel alloy as Gorilla results in a lug that can handle the weight and tq that a Tesla can produce.

Honestly, I really don't know and if I had to guess the monsters are adequate. But like I said, don't have any knowledge in engineering or manufacturing and don't fully understand the forces required to keeping a wheel on the car. I have read many threads on this forum about compatibility though, but that hardly qualifies me an expert. Stating that the lugs are made of the same steel so they should be good to go seems like an over simplification to me though.

Model S P100DL is a pretty heavy car (4950 lbs) and makes a lot of torque so I don't want to take chances. It's your car so do what you feel is appropriate but it's a little irresponsible stating that these lugs are safe when no one really seems to know.

Reactions: GWord
What's with all the butt hurt? I'm just the messenger and regurgitated the conversations that I had with the distributers and resellers. Are you an engineer, metallurgist, or have any experience with manufacturing? Basically you're stating that these lugs are compatible and safe based on the fact that they are using the same steel alloy used as Gorilla? Somehow I think it's a little more complicated than that....
Fact- Mackin the distributor doesn't know the max torque spec of the monster lugs
Fact- 2 resellers that Mackin directed to me to recommended against using the Monster lugs citing max tq at 95 ft-lbs
Fact- Monster does have a fitment sheet but doesn't list Tesla. Maybe this means something and maybe it doesn't. What it probably means is that they never tested the torque to 129 ft-lbs (see below)
Speculation- using the same steel alloy as Gorilla results in a lug that can handle the weight and tq that a Tesla can produce.

Honestly, I really don't know and if I had to guess the monsters are adequate. But like I said, don't have any knowledge in engineering or manufacturing and don't fully understand the forces required to keeping a wheel on the car. I have read many threads on this forum about compatibility though, but that hardly qualifies me an expert. Stating that the lugs are made of the same steel so they should be good to go seems like an over simplification to me though.

Model S P100DL is a pretty heavy car (4950 lbs) and makes a lot of torque so I don't want to take chances. It's your car so do what you feel is appropriate but it's a little irresponsible stating that these lugs are safe when no one really seems to know.

Fact - I'm four track days, and countless applications of 129 ft lbs of torque in to the use of my monster lugs, and have had zero problems with them.
Speculation - They'll be fine on your P100DL.

Reactions: Perry

I am not butt hurt about what lugs you use nor do i care. But you are right, what you said did hit a nerve with me so I thought a little about it to figure out why. I guess it subconsciously reminded me of several similar decision making patterns, I happen to find fault with. Mainly the process of arriving at a conclusions based on things that don't really matter over a more first principles approach. It hit the same nerve the following items do with me:

1. how Tesla shorts can't asses Tesla on its actual potential and always look at wrong things when assessing the stock
2. how ICE devotees can't get past their biases and are blind to the overwhelming benefits of electric cars
3. how Apple fanatics pay more for less capable hardware because they believe the hype over the specs

Yea, that must have been it. In general it's frustrating seeing people miss out because too much weight is given to trivialities while no weight to the important.

Last edited:
To answer your statements directly:
Are you an engineer, metallurgist, or have any experience with manufacturing?
Don't have to be. It's not rocket science making a lug. Buy the steel, stamp or machine the steel. If you made the right choice of steel you are 95% there minus the finish. None of these lug manufacturers make their own steel. They buy it from a hand full of suppliers, some even from the same suppliers like the forged wheel manufacturers do.
Basically you're stating that these lugs are compatible and safe based on the fact that they are using the same steel alloy used as Gorilla?
Yes.
Somehow I think it's a little more complicated than that....
It's not.
Not a fact. Stupid guy on the phone working for minimum wage asking another stupid guy who is not on the phone about stuff neither of them know about is meaningless.

This logic is not sound. When you call Tesla customer service no one knows anything there about anything and you get a different answer every time you call. Guy on other side of Tesla customer service phone is not Elon Musk who actually engineered that car, any more than the stupid guy who answered Mackin's phone.
It might be a fact that he said that but that doesn't make what he said a fact which is the important part. You don't know the motivations of that person. He could be playing it safe because he doesn't know. The box does not say 95ft-lbs max. The word "max" is not there. It just says torque to 95 because that's the spec for most cars and those are generic instructions. You can tell those where generic because they were so basic:
1. put wheel on car
2. put lugs on each stud
3. torque to 95
No sh#t!?
Fact- Monster does have a fitment sheet but doesn't list Tesla.
Yes they do have a sheet by lug spec not by car. That's the proper way to do it because:
- cars come and go (new models come out every year)
- the thread spec could change on the same car over time if manufacturer changes spec
- you can't test every car in the world
- it doesn't even make sense to test all the cars in the world when you have the lug spec
- after market wheels invalidate all your car specific testing
Spec sheet.png

What it probably means is that they never tested the torque to 129 ft-lbs (see below)
Don't need to. The composition of the alloy tells you what torque it can handle.
But like I said, don't have any knowledge in engineering or manufacturing and don't fully understand the forces required to keeping a wheel on the car.
You don't have to know much, just the important things. In engineering the weakest link breaks. If you believe the steel they used in the lug is stronger than Tesla's stud then you're set.
Stating that the lugs are made of the same steel so they should be good to go seems like an over simplification to me though.
Its not though. Seriously. The steel spec, the thread spec, the seat spec, and the dimensions are all you need to make an informed decision. Its all there for you. Plus you have testimonials from me and others that these fit like they where made for it.
Model S P100DL is a pretty heavy car (4950 lbs) and makes a lot of torque so I don't want to take chances.
The large amount of torque produced is against the cross section direction of the stud not in the lateral direction on the lug. Cornering is what usually exerts the most stress on the lugs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
agreed, let's just move on.
Bigbluu you need to be cognizant that the shorter lugs can be a problem if they're closed ended. Specifically, when you tighten, the closed end hits the end of the stud, so you think that it's tightened correctly but in reality it's because you've run out of threads. That's why Tesla lugs are open ended and why the aftermarket ones tend to be longer. I read a thread on TMC where someone actually compared different lugnuts to see which ones actually worked. Basically he tightened several lugs onto the studs without the wheel and counted how many turns he made. From my recollection, the lug nut had to be greater than 1.6 inches

Reactions: Perry
@m3snowy

I ordered 2 sets of wheels/tires package from Get Your Wheels and both times I got them shipped to a receiver across the line in WA state and I just paid PST/GST on the value. Free shipping and no taxes shipping from California to WA. Sorry I can’t answer your question in shipping directly to Canada. You might want to shoot them a PM to see what carrier they use to ship to Canada and what duty/taxes to expect.

Reactions: m3snowy