Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After low ball offers by Carmax and Tesla, sold it myself - Huge Difference!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is. All cars that came with unlimited free supercharging for life transfers to the new owner w/o fee.

There are 2 free supercharging options:

1. Supercharging that stays with the car when sold. (These are from about March 2017 and prior.)

2. Supercharging for the owner while they own THAT vehicle. Once that car is sold, no more free supercharging for the new or old owner.

I was just offered $41k from Tesla and $38k from CarMax for my 2017 75D with 40k miles. Looks like I'll have to sell it myself if I want to upgrade.

Based on my research fair trade value for the car is ~$55k and market value is ~$65k.

I read the Model S had the highest relsale value of any production car on the market so these low ball offers are ridiculous.
Are you in So Cal?

Maybe not in SoCal but in middle America - I find that used cars above $5K have a very narrow following when it comes to private sale.

I say that because not a lot of people have $more than $5K lying around.
So, some1 who wants a $25K car like yours either is a one-off or has access to financing.
& the latter is where the dealership comes into play & where the CarMax's take advantage.

I've bought a car in the past off eBay & it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth - so maybe that made me skeptical of the entire platform
Definitely agree, very different being in an urban area vs midland. Same experience coming from Montana. If anyone was gonna spend 25K on a car, it was gonna be a brand new Toyota or something. Otherwise it’s a 5K used car.

Hi All!

I have a 2013 MS S85 with 108,000 miles and in very good condition (air suspension, tech, 19 turbine wheels, tan leather interior, black exterior) . Looking to switch to a M3. Super long story short:

Went to Carmax after setting up an appointment. As the Carmax rep and I were walking into the dealership when the rep asked me what dollar amount do I have in mind. I told him that I did have a dollar amount but wanted to hear their value before stating mine. He then said that they would be in the $15,000-$16,000 range, "just to let me know". I politely told him that if that is the highest they would consider then lets not waste each others time.

Tesla then gave their trade in value/credit of======= $13,800.

I was starting to go into a mild depression.

KBB said it was worth about $25,000 private sale (I know there is a big difference there, but not that much)
On Ebay anything around $25,000 sells fast!!!!

So I said "screw it" and started putting together an Ebay ad. Upon almost finishing it I called a buddy who sells cars often on Ebay to assist me with the payment terms. Within the 10 minute conversation with my buddy he found 2 people that he knew that would buy it for $25,000.... As we discussed these options I launched my auction on Ebay (the auction was a no reserve auction with a starting price fo $25,000) and within 10 minutes I had an all cash offer for $25,000. Then, get this, my buddy who was helping me with the auction said he would love to have it so I sold it to him for $25,000. He is a great friend and it was important to me that he got a good price! As I was about to end the Ebay auction early, I got another offer!!! If it was not to my buddy I feel I could have gotten about $27,000, but I am happy with $25,000 to him.

What I wanted to MS community to know is that if you have a 2012,2013 or even a 2014 that has high miles, they are in high demand!!!! Essentially you are selling some of the cheapest 85KW MS's out there.

I saved $11,200 over the Tesla, or got 55% MORE CASH!

Hopefully this will give confidence to those in my position and if there is anything I can do to assist, reach out to me.

John

Talked to Tesla about trading in my 14 model S 85 w/AP 1 and tech pckg and their offer was atrocious. Came back at $26950. I had sold cars to online buyers like Vroom before and they were a bit better at $31k. I ended up going with Carvana which offered me the highest at $35480. I don’t even bother with Carmax because offers from them are almost always insulting.

It’s going to take a while for that “stigma” to disappear.
Agreed. I was just saying to a friend the other day that right now is the best time to buy a used Model S with "high" miles at a discount. We were watching a YouTube video of a Model S with 450k miles & the more those stories become the norm the less people will worry about miles. Right now the average consumer falsely looks at the miles on an EV the same they do on an ICE car. We all know this simply isn't the case & eventually people will look at a car like a Tesla with an even better opinion than something like a Toyota. As reliable as an ICE car can be they simply can't match the long-term reliability of an EV. This will play out in the #'s sooner than later.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Les Mann
Hi All!

I have a 2013 MS S85 with 108,000 miles and in very good condition (air suspension, tech, 19 turbine wheels, tan leather interior, black exterior) . Looking to switch to a M3. Super long story short:

Went to Carmax after setting up an appointment. As the Carmax rep and I were walking into the dealership when the rep asked me what dollar amount do I have in mind. I told him that I did have a dollar amount but wanted to hear their value before stating mine. He then said that they would be in the $15,000-$16,000 range, "just to let me know". I politely told him that if that is the highest they would consider then lets not waste each others time.

Tesla then gave their trade in value/credit of======= $13,800.

I was starting to go into a mild depression.

KBB said it was worth about $25,000 private sale (I know there is a big difference there, but not that much)
On Ebay anything around $25,000 sells fast!!!!

So I said "screw it" and started putting together an Ebay ad. Upon almost finishing it I called a buddy who sells cars often on Ebay to assist me with the payment terms. Within the 10 minute conversation with my buddy he found 2 people that he knew that would buy it for $25,000.... As we discussed these options I launched my auction on Ebay (the auction was a no reserve auction with a starting price fo $25,000) and within 10 minutes I had an all cash offer for $25,000. Then, get this, my buddy who was helping me with the auction said he would love to have it so I sold it to him for $25,000. He is a great friend and it was important to me that he got a good price! As I was about to end the Ebay auction early, I got another offer!!! If it was not to my buddy I feel I could have gotten about $27,000, but I am happy with $25,000 to him.

What I wanted to MS community to know is that if you have a 2012,2013 or even a 2014 that has high miles, they are in high demand!!!! Essentially you are selling some of the cheapest 85KW MS's out there.

I saved $11,200 over the Tesla, or got 55% MORE CASH!

Hopefully this will give confidence to those in my position and if there is anything I can do to assist, reach out to me.

John

In the early '00s - I had a co-worker sales guy who bought a new BMW 740iL new for roughly $99,500.
We also had a co-worker who bought used cars. A while later, bought a five year old 740iL - same color and year for $25k.

Luxury cars depreciate fast and yet a used Tesla still offers the 8-yr drivetrain and battery warranty. What people may be fearing is the parts and labor costs of off-warranty ownership costs. This will make deals like this pretty common for used older MS. They should "drive like new" - and yet the only costs may come years later. I wouldn't even want to be shopping for a new one at these prices.

• Helpful
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
76DED512-4584-48CD-A33A-EF888EFAD2BB.jpeg

Sold my 2013 S85 to a friend for $26,500 with 118,000 miles. Everything on it except rear kid seats and winter package. We both agreed that is was mutually fair. I felt I gave him a a slight discount, thus paying forward some service item, while he knows the full service history.

Attachments

• 8841B40E-83E4-4771-B9E4-8686CFCC03FD.jpeg
    8841B40E-83E4-4771-B9E4-8686CFCC03FD.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
2D7A90AF-F41D-44E1-93AE-E6DC974FE470.jpeg
280B81AC-69DD-45A2-BBEB-5644581BD550.jpeg

2017 S100D with pretty much everything they offered at the time except the cold weather package and I stayed with 19” wheels.

I must be living in another universe. KBB says $71k trade in, $75k private. Implies that my car plus $30k would get me a brand spanking new 100S with all the fixens.

Of course I think my car is in excellent condition. I suppose trade in types won’t go past fair.

Yeah, based on this thread I must be delusional.

That may not have been too far off. Given what you posted, auctions for a 2013 S85 with 108K miles are going between 16K and 19K. That is up here in Washington. Your part of the country may differ. Auction prices are usually what trade in offers are made at. Dealer buys at auction price, sells at KBB price.. and customer thinks they got a deal when they purchase..

That's not exclusive to Tesla -- that's how the car companies have worked for the last 100 years. they buy low, put money into re-furbing the car and then sell for a profit, therefore there has to be a visible spread. Or, if it's not a car they want to hold, they send it off to auction with the hope of simply getting their money back.The PO suffers in terms of cash, but can save if they do the trade-in because the value of the trade-in comes off what they have to pay sales tax on, if you live in a state where there is such a tax.

And, some people don't want the hassle of posting on the internet, haggling with strangers, etc. Each to their own.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I tried to sell my 2.5 non-sport Roadster on eBay for $65K and then for $60K, no takers. Took it to CarMax, and now I don't remember what they offered, but it was peanuts. Maybe $23K or something like that? They told me they could not sell it on their lot and would just send it to auction. I finally sold it to an EV dealer (Current Automotive in Illinois) for $50K because it was either that or ship to to Maui and have two cars, and because they offered (and made good on) a very fast cash sale. They're still listing it for just under $65K. I consider myself lucky to have gotten rid of it because even though it was tremendous fun to drive, the Model 3 is much more comfortable and EAP (used properly: eyes on the road, hands on the wheel) is safer and less stressful.

Reactions: Tron 3
I sold my 2013 P85, 82,000 miles, history of a repaired fender bender for $31,500 through Craigslist - I also posted on only usedTesla and cars.com. I wish I had tried eBay, but it is a one shot deal. I bought a 2015 P85D, 83,000 miles from Tesla for 45,300 + $2,000 for shipping from San Diego. The pictures weren’t great. I was concerned for tire damage from pictures, but hoping for a condition as good as my P85. I was not disappointed, and 17,000 miles of bumper to bumper warranty.

I’d had a trade-in offer from Tesla for $35,700 six months prior. But then again, prices for P85Ds were far higher at that time too. Prices fluctuate wildly.

I mentioned this in a different post somewhere. I had to trade in my car before pulling the plug on the P3D. Since I was also baffled about the low ball offers I was getting I investigated and started asking question on how they estimate. Turns out (from the mouth of the sales rep) that Tesla, and I am sure most other car sellers that accept trade ins, use KBB. The catch is, and he confirmed this, they will never consider your car more than Fair (lowest setting). He told me that it does not matter if you put that car in bed with you and coat it in all ceramics and good stuff, and it looks like brand new, they will still offer you the "Fair KBB price". It seems it's their internal policy.

I mentioned this in a different post somewhere. I had to trade in my car before pulling the plug on the P3D. Since I was also baffled about the low ball offers I was getting I investigated and started asking question on how they estimate. Turns out (from the mouth of the sales rep) that Tesla, and I am sure most other car sellers that accept trade ins, use KBB. The catch is, and he confirmed this, they will never consider your car more than Fair (lowest setting). He told me that it does not matter if you put that car in bed with you and coat it in all ceramics and good stuff, and it looks like brand new, they will still offer you the "Fair KBB price". It seems it's their internal policy.
Somewhat similar story. I wanted to trade in a 2018 M3 LR for a 2019 P3D. Tesla offered me $32,200 only! The car had 9K miles. Offered the car to Vroom (Texas Direct) and they came back with $40K. So after doing a survey on ebay I decided to sell it myself on that platform. Lucky I got a buyer willing to pay $44K!! The transaction was smooth and easy. Recommendation to all - seriously look into selling the car yourself. Texas Direct sells cars just like mine for over $46K!

New to Tesla this year, S85, thrilled with the car, 7k miles in 4 months, now 58k. Plan to keep the car for ?10 years.
Prior owner had NO service done on car, sold it when the 4 year warranty expired.
No problems with car so far.

However, I had feelings of doom and despair this week when came across threads discussing the replacement of eMMC in the MCU1.
This sounds like a HUGE problem - but this was not mentioned in this (or most) threads discussing experience with high-mileage Model S, including resale.
Some posters have stated the Tesla service rep advised them to expect about 50k miles from the MCU!

Do those of you with out of warranty >50k mileage just plan to spend ~$3k every 50 k miles or so to replace the MCU?? Or hope Tesla comes up with a firmware fix (such as reducing dramatically the utilization of the eMMC)?
Is this in actuality a rare problem and not a big deal?
A little concerned about being far from home in adverse weather with family when the MCU does go out - and the expense...
At least one poster also stated there were issues with availability of replacement units and Tesla's willingness to replace them even for $3k.
Look forward to others' input, thanks in advance.

Reactions: GreenT