Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After low ball offers by Carmax and Tesla, sold it myself - Huge Difference!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 unless early jan car, will not have transferable Free Supercharging. Sorry I don't have the threads handy, but there was a big change at that time where it is only free for the initial purchaser.

To be clear there are 2 programs. Free Transferable Supercharging for life, and Free Supercharging for life.

Just bought a used 2016 S 70, 33k miles, wrecked on right side (repaired), for $38k, and so far have been able to use Superchargers freely; maybe this will suddenly change? My first Tesla, and loving it so far.

Definitely agree that eBay is a great selling option; have done so with a few cars and always been pleased with the result.

Just bought a used 2016 S 70, 33k miles, wrecked on right side (repaired), for $38k, and so far have been able to use Superchargers freely; maybe this will suddenly change? My first Tesla, and loving it so far.

Definitely agree that eBay is a great selling option; have done so with a few cars and always been pleased with the result.

Does your car have a salvage title? There are reports of Tesla removing supercharging once they are aware. With that being said there are also people who strongly disagree with Tesla doing that and can help you restore supercharging. However you will likely have to compensate them for their time.

Does your car have a salvage title? There are reports of Tesla removing supercharging once they are aware. With that being said there are also people who strongly disagree with Tesla doing that and can help you restore supercharging. However you will likely have to compensate them for their time.

This was actually bought from Tesla (had to go down to Houston from Dallas to pick it up at their location there), with regular title. I was worried a bit about the flood of flood-damaged cars down there, but I don't think this was likely in this case. I didn't think to ask about access to Supercharging. They mentioned it was available, asked how I planned to charge (since I'm about to move in several weeks, currently just using 110V at home, and Supercharger when available/needed), and didn't mention any upcoming or current need to pay for use of Superchargers. And used 2 on drive back from Houston to Dallas. Thinking I should have clarified more here with them, but maybe it's standard to continue access with cars bought from Tesla? The warranty is for 4 years or 50k miles.

New to Tesla this year, S85, thrilled with the car, 7k miles in 4 months, now 58k. Plan to keep the car for ?10 years.
Prior owner had NO service done on car, sold it when the 4 year warranty expired.
No problems with car so far.

However, I had feelings of doom and despair this week when came across threads discussing the replacement of eMMC in the MCU1.
This sounds like a HUGE problem - but this was not mentioned in this (or most) threads discussing experience with high-mileage Model S, including resale.
Some posters have stated the Tesla service rep advised them to expect about 50k miles from the MCU!

Do those of you with out of warranty >50k mileage just plan to spend ~$3k every 50 k miles or so to replace the MCU?? Or hope Tesla comes up with a firmware fix (such as reducing dramatically the utilization of the eMMC)?
Is this in actuality a rare problem and not a big deal?
A little concerned about being far from home in adverse weather with family when the MCU does go out - and the expense...
At least one poster also stated there were issues with availability of replacement units and Tesla's willingness to replace them even for $3k.
Look forward to others' input, thanks in advance.
I doubt this is as big an issue as the forums make it out to be, knowing multiple owners with 2012/2013's pushing 100K who had no MCU work done ever. I just plan to deal with mine at the time if the issue ever pops up

So we've discovered here that a private sale price is higher than a trade-in value? It has always been that way, this is nothing new. Car resellers don't work for free.

Another lesson, new cars depreciate fast. Well, nothing new here either. A new car that drives off the lot, loses approximately 2 years worth of depreciation, which is 25-50% of its value, depending on which car. Think about differently, let's say we look at $100K Model S. Say it costs Tesla $70K to produce one (not including R&D and all the other overhead, because they are irrelevant for example as they are fixed total cost). A customer after a month of ownership want's to return it, so Tesla is facing a question of how much is the car worth to them? They can make a brand new one, custom color and options, for $70K, so obviously the car with fixed options and a month worth of use (and not eligible for new EV rebates) has to be worth a less.

Value, or worth, of a car is always what you can get someone else to pay for it. There is no absolute or somehow "fair" value. If you can't find a buyer for your car for a price you want, unfortunately that means your car is not worth that much, no matter what you read on the internet or what you feel the value is.

So, if you want to prove to yourself you car is worth more than offers you are getting, find a buyer for more, make sure you add to the price the cost of selling it too, including any seller costs and of cost your time. If you think your time is free, then next time you want to trade a car, offer to work 20hrs a week until the car is sold for free for the dealership you are trying to trade the car in to, you might get a higher offer, but you''ll have to work washing cars, etc.

Last edited:
I was offered $45,000 and sold privately for $60,000. Had many many backup buyers as well
Not bad at all, it sounds like you achieved the top of the value range. I managed to do that on occasion myself, so I know it's hard. It could also be that you are really good at selling cars too. Would it be worth it to you to start buying Teslas at few grand more than Tesla trade-in offers, then turn it around and make yourself some cash? Say in you example, you'd buy it for $50K and sell it for $60K. The buyer gets $5K, you get $10K, everybody wins.

Not bad at all, it sounds like you achieved the top of the value range. I managed to do that on occasion myself, so I know it's hard. It could also be that you are really good at selling cars too. Would it be worth it to you to start buying Teslas at few grand more than Tesla trade-in offers, then turn it around and make yourself some cash? Say in you example, you'd buy it for $50K and sell it for $60K. The buyer gets $5K, you get $10K, everybody wins.

Actually sold it right on this forum with a single post:

2017 Model S100D fully loaded W/FSD Computer Pre-Paid

Reactions: whitex and rsg123
New to Tesla this year, S85, thrilled with the car, 7k miles in 4 months, now 58k. Plan to keep the car for ?10 years.
Prior owner had NO service done on car, sold it when the 4 year warranty expired.
No problems with car so far.

However, I had feelings of doom and despair this week when came across threads discussing the replacement of eMMC in the MCU1.
This sounds like a HUGE problem - but this was not mentioned in this (or most) threads discussing experience with high-mileage Model S, including resale.
Some posters have stated the Tesla service rep advised them to expect about 50k miles from the MCU!

Do those of you with out of warranty >50k mileage just plan to spend ~$3k every 50 k miles or so to replace the MCU?? Or hope Tesla comes up with a firmware fix (such as reducing dramatically the utilization of the eMMC)?
Is this in actuality a rare problem and not a big deal?
A little concerned about being far from home in adverse weather with family when the MCU does go out - and the expense...
At least one poster also stated there were issues with availability of replacement units and Tesla's willingness to replace them even for $3k.
Look forward to others' input, thanks in advance.
This will be a big service deal for Tesla. They had better get their act together in regards to an alternative to $3k per MCU. What you are paying for is a new MCU when all you need is a refurb’d daughter card hosted in the MCU. Tesla should stockpile the bricked MCUs and get a contract in place to refurb the board that has the eMMC chip on it ~ $150-200. Charging $3k to replace the MCU and getting no credit for the core is irresponsible on Tesla’s part.

I just had my MCU changed out for this reason (I believe) on my 2015 P85D at 85,500 miles... under warranty.

Such a shame for what is otherwise such a solid car.

Reactions: GreenT
This was actually bought from Tesla (had to go down to Houston from Dallas to pick it up at their location there), with regular title. I was worried a bit about the flood of flood-damaged cars down there, but I don't think this was likely in this case. I didn't think to ask about access to Supercharging. They mentioned it was available, asked how I planned to charge (since I'm about to move in several weeks, currently just using 110V at home, and Supercharger when available/needed), and didn't mention any upcoming or current need to pay for use of Superchargers. And used 2 on drive back from Houston to Dallas. Thinking I should have clarified more here with them, but maybe it's standard to continue access with cars bought from Tesla? The warranty is for 4 years or 50k miles.

You should be fine then.

I mentioned this in a different post somewhere. I had to trade in my car before pulling the plug on the P3D. Since I was also baffled about the low ball offers I was getting I investigated and started asking question on how they estimate. Turns out (from the mouth of the sales rep) that Tesla, and I am sure most other car sellers that accept trade ins, use KBB. The catch is, and he confirmed this, they will never consider your car more than Fair (lowest setting). He told me that it does not matter if you put that car in bed with you and coat it in all ceramics and good stuff, and it looks like brand new, they will still offer you the "Fair KBB price". It seems it's their internal policy.

Tesla, like every other car company out there, wants to make money and they are taking on the risk of selling your trade in, they may have to put money into it, they may have to take a trade-in to sell your car, and they typically have to offer some sort of warranty, all of which costs them money. Tesla isn't gouging you.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
Tesla's "Logistics hell" applies to trade ins as well as new cars. They don't have the capacity to take in any new cars of any kind, and are never going to be anxious to get another used Tesla on their inventory.

Dealers have always advised people to sell their used cars outright for more money, but they also should have reminded you of the sales-tax impact. The sales-tax savings to YOU is how the dealer is able to build in a little profit by lowering the trade in value.

They take at least another $1200 for clean up and sales prep.

If they plan to send your car to auction, then they really have no ability to give you your car's value - the can only expect to get %60 or so of a car's value back - it's a gamble for them.

With a trade-in you get a sales tax advantage. On a $25,000 car, that can be $1,500. On a $50,000 car, $3,000. That saving should be factored in when considering an offer. In some states, CarMax will work with Tesla and make the trade-in part of the new car sale.

I’ve sold several cars to Carmax over the years and typically get a decent offer from them. However when I was selling my last car to them last October (a Hyundai) to buy my ‘13 MS the guy I always work with at Carmax told me while they have the policy of buying any car at this point they are not really interested in Tesla’s.

He said they still lack the proper charging stations to keep them charged and want cars they can run their own shop to make needed repairs. For a Tesla they have to take it to an SC which is a hassle and time consuming since they don’t have the techs with the knowledge to work on them. They lowball because they have to wholesale them and still turn a profit.

Tesla is indeed super-low on trade-in offers. I have a 2017 Model X 75D with 27,000 miles on it. Was $101k new, they offered $51k for trade-in on a newer MX. Wow.

2017 S100D 30k miles, has pretty much everything. Tesla quote good for 30 days: $56.4 against a new car. That’s less than 50% of what I paid. This kinda news could very well turn a lot of prospective Model S and X buyers away. It is pretty much incentivizing me to keep the car.

I still love my car. Even though she is a damn expensive date.

This will be a big service deal for Tesla. They had better get their act together in regards to an alternative to $3k per MCU. What you are paying for is a new MCU when all you need is a refurb’d daughter card hosted in the MCU. Tesla should stockpile the bricked MCUs and get a contract in place to refurb the board that has the eMMC chip on it ~ $150-200. Charging $3k to replace the MCU and getting no credit for the core is irresponsible on Tesla’s part.

I just had my MCU changed out for this reason (I believe) on my 2015 P85D at 85,500 miles... under warranty.

There are technical folks who will exchange the eMMC chip/card for you who are on this forum. Also can see videos on yourtube.
When you buy a used car things will happen and if small enough you can sometimes fix yourself via youtube.

If paying $3k out of pocket for a new MCU you should be entitled to receive the old broken one back as well. It's the law.

Reactions: Inside and alloverx
After reading this thread, I'm glad my 2017 S100D was just declared "totaled" after being rear ended a month ago. They are giving me $81,000 which seems quite a bit better than trading it in. Recent year Model S values are getting destroyed since the pricing changes - with all the people upgrading and the better, cheaper new cars, it's no wonder.