Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After seeing the FSD videos, do you think it will work well on MCU1 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll have to disagree. I use NOA frequently for long trips, 700+ miles, requiring multiple charging stops, 6 or more, with no issues. MS FSD, MCU1 with eMMC upgrade, HW3 FSD computer. YMMV
That is extremely impressive. We got the 64 GB eMMC under warranty so we were able to try it out for almost 12 months before paying for MCU2. Even with the improved eMMC our MCU still would reboot, mostly on road trips where we were driving for long periods. The reboots most commonly happened while supercharging. Like your car we had FSD HW3 & MCU1 with eMMC upgrade at that time. With MCU2 there are still occasional reboots, but they are now like once a month instead of being daily issues.

Reactions: TessP100D
If MCU1 cars don't get the features of FSD it may be time for a lawsuit against Tesla for fraud for not delivering what was promised.
Now that FSD Beta "button" is available for most, my 2017 Model S with MCU1 is still on 2020.48.37.6 version. Any idea what does 'back of line' for FSD button looks like? months? years?? Any idea if some class action is being planned??

It seems like you might be in for a long wait, but tbh, if you have the time you could wait, might be a while before Tesla gets FSD out to entire fleet and working, like maybe years end. Then maybe at that time perhaps they will begin looking at how to make the software work with MCU1. Seems like Tesla would know exactly how many cars are in this position and is looking at each owner case by case. If you have the time and patience, Id wait it out, who knows what Tesla might do for those owners class action lawsuit or not. I was in same position as you and just decided I didnt wanna wait, just spent the $1500 and turned the page.

Now that FSD Beta "button" is available for most, my 2017 Model S with MCU1 is still on 2020.48.37.6 version. Any idea what does 'back of line' for FSD button looks like? months? years?? Any idea if some class action is being planned??
It's well established that MCU1 can't handle the visualizations that are currently central to the FSD beta. So long as those visualizations are an important part of the design and experience, no MCU1 car is getting the beta.

I think your basic choices are:

1) Wait a long time to maybe get a version of a more polished and production-quality release without visualizations
2) Wait a long time for Tesla to maybe throw in the towel and upgrade the remaining FSD hold-outs to MCU2 on their dime
3) Buy MCU2 and move on

Reactions: Durwood101
Most owners are subject to an Arbitration Agreement, unless you opted out within 30 days of your purchase, as stated in your sales contract. If you didn't opt out, participating in a class action is not an option. You would go to arbitration.

Most owners are subject to an Arbitration Agreement, unless you opted out within 30 days of your purchase, as stated in your sales contract. If you didn't opt out, participating in a class action is not an option. You would go to arbitration.
Incorrect, I was part of a class action for Enhanced Auto Pilot ($200) that I didn't even want to be a part of. Had to manually opt out of class-action suit by MAILING a letter to Tesla and the lawyers.

It's well established that MCU1 can't handle the visualizations that are currently central to the FSD beta. So long as those visualizations are an important part of the design and experience, no MCU1 car is getting the beta.

1) Wait a long time to maybe get a version of a more polished and production-quality release without visualizations
2) Wait a long time for Tesla to maybe throw in the towel and upgrade the remaining FSD hold-outs to MCU2 on their dime
3) Buy MCU2 and move on
Option 4) Make Tesla pay for MCU2 and donate $1600 to local orchestra instead of giving to the world's richest man.

Reactions: plumazul

3) Buy MCU2 and move on
Or. Sell the car. Don’t look back.

I paid for FSD and not paying a $ more. They promised to upgrade whatever is needed to get FSD. If someone is too ... whatever it is that makes one think throwing good $ after bad will change anything...

I plan on waiting them out. Either FSD will work with my MCU1 or they will do whatever is necessary to get me there. I don't care about the side camera view missing right now but if it's necessary to make FSD work they are going to replace them or the MCU or whatever it takes.

I stopped inquiring about when they were going to do my HW3 upgrade after hearing whispers of a HW4 change. Why settle for something now they are possibly changing. I'm just being patient and letting the process work itself out. If I see folks driving around with working FSD and they haven't gotten to me THEN I'l raise hell.
Did you ever get a mcu upgrade. They still haven’t given mcu1 fsd.