Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket bucket seat installation, need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spoke to my friend that did a complete black to white conversion. There a module that's hard coded to the car so "if" you are sourcing salvaged seats the main module will need to be transferred. Just like the keycard and old/new console mod.

I have not attempted this yet so I'm gathering as much info as I can.

I just spoke to my friend that did a complete black to white conversion. There a module that's hard coded to the car so "if" you are sourcing salvaged seats the main module will need to be transferred. Just like the keycard and old/new console mod.

I have not attempted this yet so I'm gathering as much info as I can.
Hmm, not my experience. I swapped several passenger seats and the module is not vin specific. You certainly need the module, though.

From your discussion, I get the impression that transplanting the sensors and harness into an aftermarket bucket seat is fairly straight forward.

What if we wanted to use a pair of front seats from another premium car like for instance an M3, M4, Audi S5 - which are factory equipped with sensors and an airbag. Do you know if anyone has compared the sensors and airbags? I presume there is a decent chance they are similar.

Because for instance the S5 seats are gorgeous and fairly inexpensive seats that would be a huge improvement over stock :cool:
1632089545605.png

Last edited:
From your discussion, I get the impression that transplanting the sensors and harness into an aftermarket bucket seat is fairly straight forward.

What if we wanted to use a pair of front seats from another premium car like for instance an M3, M4, Audi S5 - which are factory equipped with sensors and an airbag. Do you know if anyone has compared the sensors and airbags? I presume there is a decent chance they are similar.

Because for instance the S5 seats are gorgeous and fairly inexpensive seats that would be a huge improvement over stock :cool:
View attachment 711506
I'd rather recommend Sporter CS - it has an airbag, seat heater, reclining.

I agree. Another OEM seat is absolutely not going to be plug and play. Will be a huge PITA. Not worth it.

Well, my thought was more that assuming the hardware is pretty similar, we could transfer harness, sensor and airbag over to these or some other OEM seat. Mounts would of course probably be a right pain in the neck.

The Sportster CS are nice too of course 😁

Last edited:
Well, my thought was more that assuming the hardware is pretty similar, we could transfer harness, sensor and airbag over to these or some other OEM seat. Mounts would of course probably be a right pain in the neck.

The Sportster CS are nice too of course 😁
HW might be similar by what it does, not by details of how it does it. Easier to integrate aftermarket rather than OEM. Besides, Sportster CS already integrated by some, so it's a proven path.

Hmm, I need to look at the seat again to confirm. I have a vague recollection that the lumbar is built into the cushion, but I may be insane.

You can get forward/backward/up/down fairly easily, but it's also fairly heavy. Just forward/backward seat tracks and motor is about 13lbs. Up/Down adds another 13ish. Kind of defeats the purpose for weight savings, but does hold you much better. I don't even bother with the Schroth Quick Fit at this point.

OP - the drivers side is actually pretty easy. I don't know how you set it up, but I used the OEM tracks and motor and retained the factory seat belt tensioner and buckle. The only airbag component to "trick" at that point is the airbag that is normally built into the seat. I modified an OEM seat harness. Finally, you are definitely going to want to get the OEM occupancy sensor working, otherwise your car is going to be doing all sorts of weird stuff. Fortunately, that is super easy on the drivers side, just plug it in and place under the cushion. The passenger side is similar, but much more involved. As previously discussed, you also probably want to pull the lumbar module out so you don't have Firmware problems. I have both seats working 100%, no errors, firmware passes, all OEM safety systems in place and working (besides obviously the seat airbag), and forward/backward control. Super nice.
I ended up here because I removed the driver's seat to have it rebuilt and reupholstered with more support, and ended up needing to transport the disconnected seat in the Tesla, with quick bucket seat installation and no wiring. Anyway, here I will record the secret to driving the car without *both* an occupancy _and_ seatbelt sensor-

It drives fine in forward in Roll and Creep mode.

Any time the car tries to go into its Hold Brake mode, it will notice there's no occupant detected and move you into park. This happens ~all the time in Hold driving mode and also if you just hit the brake all the way at a stoplight in Roll and Creep mode.

In reverse there's also a more restrictive rollaway car check, so you just have to keep your foot in it, essentially, to back into a space. No slow stop-and-go.

Tested on 2021.32.21

I agree. Another OEM seat is absolutely not going to be plug and play. Will be a huge PITA. Not worth it.
I know this is an older thread but looking for a helping hand here. I understand from watching Erik's videos and doing some other sleuthing that ideally in order to swap a driver's seat I should look for the following parts list?

Seat wiring harness
Driver side occupancy sensor
Lumbar module

I found the occupancy sensor in the Tesla parts catalog(1099592-00-F) with it showing as unrestricted.

Does anyone have the parts numbers for the other elements and/or know whether or not they are restricted?

Can anyone lend a hand on what sort of resistor they used for driver's side airbag delete?

Appreciate any help in advance.

I have an older Recaro Ergomed ES with climate pack where I would like to install just the driver's side in my Model 3. I drive quite a bit and definitely don't love the OEM seat.

HW might be similar by what it does, not by details of how it does it. Easier to integrate aftermarket rather than OEM. Besides, Sportster CS already integrated by some, so it's a proven path.
Sorry for the double up on posts but curious if I may have found the right combo of parts in the Tesla parts catalog. Below are showing as unrestricted. Not sure if I have the lumbar module correct. Any advice appreciated

Occupancy sensor 1099592-00-F
1st row seat harness Left hand 1489060-02-F
1st row power lumbar seatback assembly 1118494-00-J

Again, thank you in advance.

Sorry for the double up on posts but curious if I may have found the right combo of parts in the Tesla parts catalog. Below are showing as unrestricted. Not sure if I have the lumbar module correct. Any advice appreciated

Occupancy sensor 1099592-00-F
1st row seat harness Left hand 1489060-02-F
1st row power lumbar seatback assembly 1118494-00-J

Again, thank you in advance.
Honestly, I don't know. But it should be clear from the pictures in catalog.

You will need custom side brackets to adapt the OEM seat frame to the aftermarket seat. No butchering of the stock seat required beyond 4 bolts. The harness is $50 and the occupancy sensor is like $12. Again, this only applies to the drivers seat. The passenger seat does require a fair amount of butchering, as the occupancy and weight sensors are much more involved.
Were you able to order directly from Tesla? When I try to order they ask for business reseller certificate, credentials, etc.

Please let me know how you ordered if yes.

I don't suppose you have any photos of how you modified your wiring harness? I found the wiring diagram for the seats and seems pretty involved v. aftermarket seat with fewer inputs other than power and ground kind of thing. Any further advice appreciated.

Were you able to order directly from Tesla? When I try to order they ask for business reseller certificate, credentials, etc.

Please let me know how you ordered if yes.

I don't suppose you have any photos of how you modified your wiring harness? I found the wiring diagram for the seats and seems pretty involved v. aftermarket seat with fewer inputs other than power and ground kind of thing. Any further advice appreciated.
I just come at service center and order by number, but that was now long time ago and in EU.