Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket hitch options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I've read on the forum in the past is that it's probably a Bosal part, so you might be able to find one that matches from there. Here's one thread on the topic:
Towing without the Towing Package

Edit: It's definitely a Bosal part - here's the data label off of mine, with Tesla and Bosal logos and some part numbers that may or may not help you:

IMG_0075.JPG

Last edited:
I think he needs more than the Bosal hitch receiver, as I'm assuming that the inventory MX came without any tow accessory. Probably needs to get a third-party frame mounted hitch receiver, similar to what's available for the Model-S.

I think he needs more than the Bosal hitch receiver, as I'm assuming that the inventory MX came without any tow accessory. Probably needs to get a third-party frame mounted hitch receiver, similar to what's available for the Model-S.

I had the impression that all Model Xs had the mount for the receiver in them, but I could be mistaken. I guess the only way to be sure is for the OP to open up the cover panel under the rear bumper and see what's there.

I had the impression that all Model Xs had the mount for the receiver in them, but I could be mistaken. I guess the only way to be sure is for the OP to open up the cover panel under the rear bumper and see what's there.
There were 2 upgrades in the Design Studio:
(a) Accessory Hitch (this is currently very similar to the towing package, but that may change in the future)
(b) Towing Package
If you paid for neither, I assume you get nothing. I wouldn't even expect to see a removeable panel under the rear end of the X.

There were 2 upgrades in the Design Studio:
(a) Accessory Hitch (this is currently very similar to the towing package, but that may change in the future)
(b) Towing Package
If you paid for neither, I assume you get nothing. I wouldn't even expect to see a removeable panel under the rear end of the X.

Maybe I'm confused - I thought the accessory hitch was included if you didn't buy the towing package.

Go to teslamotors.com and see for yourself. The Accessory Hitch is an additional $200. The Towing Package is an additional $750. If you don't select either, then I'd expect no frame-mounting hardware for towing is installed.

Huh. You appear to be correct, but that's not the way I remember it being when I ordered. (Of course, that was four months ago and I wasn't paying much attention to that particular bit because there was no way I was ordering the car without the Towing package.)

Huh. You appear to be correct, but that's not the way I remember it being when I ordered. (Of course, that was four months ago and I wasn't paying much attention to that particular bit because there was no way I was ordering the car without the Towing package.)
What you're remember is that initially the Accessory Hitch was a free upgrade (then shortly later, it became a paid upgrade). But you still had the option to get an X without accessory or towing package.

Did you end up checking the bottom of the MX to see if there any kind of receiver. I placed a deposit on a inventory MX and it doesn't have the towing package nor the accessory package. The dealer is giving a really good discount on it but I Would prefers have the option to put a ski rack as I tend to snowboard allot.

Did you end up checking the bottom of the MX to see if there any kind of receiver. I placed a deposit on a inventory MX and it doesn't have the towing package nor the accessory package. The dealer is giving a really good discount on it but I Would prefers have the option to put a ski rack as I tend to snowboard allot.

As you can see above, I have the towing package on my X, so I do have a receiver in mine, of course. The question is whether cars ordered without towing or accessory packages has the receiver on it.

I believe I've seen photos into the bumper showing a car without the receiver since the time of this thread.

There is more to towing with a Model X than just adding a hitch. The Towing Package option includes the hitch, the receiver, the wiring harness and software to handle it all. The software helps to do things like preventing the trailer from swaying and increases range. The accessory package option was never intended for towing it was just to be able to add the capability of carrying things like skis and snow boards and does not come with the wiring harness or software. Also, depending on the aerodynamic's of what you are towing it can reduce your range by over half even more without the towing software enabled. Even though the receiver was eventually changed to two inches for both, Tesla would never verify the support structure was the same. I believe they eventually deleted the accessory package as an option. You also need to realize at most Supercharger
Locations you can't charge with a trailer attached unless there are no other cars using the Chargers. Hope this information helped.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX