Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket sound deadening batting for Model 3 door panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Ideas?

From
you can see that there is a pretty thin looking door panel insert that is specially cut for the Model 3 doors.

I'm potentially interested in removing this, cutting a template and then purchasing something with better noise dampening characteristics that could be cut on a template and installed in place of the factory part.

A company with a laser cutter could probably do it a hell of a lot easier though, not that there's much demand for something like this.

Ideas?

From
you can see that there is a pretty thin looking door panel insert that is specially cut for the Model 3 doors.

I'm potentially interested in removing this, cutting a template and then purchasing something with better noise dampening characteristics that could be cut on a template and installed in place of the factory part.

A company with a laser cutter could probably do it a hell of a lot easier though, not that there's much demand for something like this.

Are you hearing lots of noise in your car due to the doors?

I'm not experiencing that at all.

I hear more road noise due to the door seals being a single seal.

Pretty thin space. How much better noise reduction properties are you going to get with that kind of thickness restriction? Especially since low-frequency sounds are the most difficult to block.

great point because noise suppression does not happen due to how thick a material is ( per-se )..

Noise suppression is much more efficient with 2 thin layers that have air in between than a single thick layer.

Why do you think that is a possibility? They would need to partner with the auto manufacturer to install the mics, accelerometers, and associated software/hardware.

In other words, it literally isn’t possible to do this in a Tesla.

Not so much as an immediate possibility today, but one that is very much up Tesla's alley. You're correct in stating that this won't help at the moment, but its something that would be very nice to have in combination with better sound isolation. I don't travel without a pair of noise-canceling headphones while I'm on airplanes, and it makes a huge difference. Adding noise-cancelation technology directly into the car is just a natural progression, and may reduce weight and cost in the long run.

FYI, the folks on the forum may already know this, but there are a number of people actively attempting to address these issues now. Aside from the roof glass gap hacks, there have been others working on insulation in doors, and in other locations.

Here:

and Here:

Tesla Bjorn also mentioned he's going to be addressing this on his Model 3. He seems to be particularly interested in the wheel wells as well.

Ideas?

From

Are you thinking of dampening noise that comes through the door panel or from the door panel itself?

There's so much misinformation that goes around about how to sound deaden a car. It's difficult to find a shop/experts that do this service (or want to share the scientifically proven) methods because it's very difficult to make a profit. Why? Because you're starting at at least $1,000 for the baseline services that make any appreciable differences, and it just goes up from there. Look at all the time, expense, and work that SD Tesla Youtube guy has spent trying to quiet down his car. (Kudos to him for sharing his findings!)
We get asked frequently if we'll provide sound-deadening services but as soon as the $1,000 minimum is mentioned then most people think I'm gouging and just say they'll have the neighbor kid throw in some Dynamats on the doors and floor. Well, we know how well that works to quiet road noise.
Sound deadening is an expensive proposition, which is why it's often the first place car manufacturers start cutting corners.

Reactions: Pingpong
There's so much misinformation that goes around about how to sound deaden a car. It's difficult to find a shop/experts that do this service (or want to share the scientifically proven) methods because it's very difficult to make a profit. Why? Because you're starting at at least $1,000 for the baseline services that make any appreciable differences, and it just goes up from there. Look at all the time, expense, and work that SD Tesla Youtube guy has spent trying to quiet down his car. (Kudos to him for sharing his findings!)
We get asked frequently if we'll provide sound-deadening services but as soon as the $1,000 minimum is mentioned then most people think I'm gouging and just say they'll have the neighbor kid throw in some Dynamats on the doors and floor. Well, we know how well that works to quiet road noise.
Sound deadening is an expensive proposition, which is why it's often the first place car manufacturers start cutting corners.

I think sound deadening can potentially be counter-productive.

I need to hear ambulance/police and other emergency vehicles coming from a long way away.

On the other hand.....sound deadening road noise coming through the frame of the car can be totally eliminated just fine.

Also....eliminating engine noise can also be productive....wait.....that's right...this is a tesla thread.

• Funny
Reactions: JasontheBeaver
I need to hear ambulance/police and other emergency vehicles coming from a long way away.
I agree. But as I get older and my tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears condition) grows, road noise starts to become literally painful while I'm driving, and I can't hear the radio without cranking it up very loud. Not fun on a long road trip!
So there's definitely a balance that needs to be struck on how quiet a vehicle should/could be.
I drive a lot of Tesla's at my business, but admittedly usually not at highway speeds since I'm just moving them around my local urban area. I have a Model 3 coming in next Tuesday, maybe I'll ask the owner if he'll take me out on the nearby highway so I can see for myself how the road noise compares.

I agree. But as I get older and my tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears condition) grows, road noise starts to become literally painful while I'm driving, and I can't hear the radio without cranking it up very loud. Not fun on a long road trip!
So there's definitely a balance that needs to be struck on how quiet a vehicle should/could be.
I drive a lot of Tesla's at my business, but admittedly usually not at highway speeds since I'm just moving them around my local urban area. I have a Model 3 coming in next Tuesday, maybe I'll ask the owner if he'll take me out on the nearby highway so I can see for myself how the road noise compares.

What do you do that causes you to move Tesla's around?

I've stumbled across this hearing test site today after reviewing some of the other tests as to whether or not we can identify dB differences: Blind Testing a 6 dB Level Difference. Here is a test that determines the extent of hearing loss, and at what range: Online Audiogram Hearing Test | Reliable & Calibrated . I've noticed that my hearing is still good, but that my ability to identify the source origin point in 3d space has become weaker over the years.

I've had to cope with living in a city with a constant barrage of noise. To make matters worse, we ADD noise to drown out the sounds of the city. We do this in some of our bedrooms when the neighbors are particularly loud. Sometimes its white noise generated by a fan, and sometimes its an Alexa or Google playing an audio loop of the ocean or rain. I'm confident that living in the city has harmed my hearing, in the same way, I know it has damaged my lungs. Both noise and particulate density are essential to the quality of life, and until we've got more EV's on the roads, I don't know how quickly things will change. I lost both features when I moved from my model X (with additional HEPA filtration / BioDefense Mode and overall insulation) to the Model 3.

The most noticeable change I saw was when traveling to the Taj in India where they restrict ICE vehicles in the region and surrounding the area. The difference was night-and-day in both sound and air quality.

It makes sense that for a car company trying to increase the commute experience, sound isolation should not be compromised. I understand that they've needed to compromise a bit to bring down costs, but there still are premium versions of the Model 3 which probably should have gotten more attention.

I own and operate a detail company that applies Opti-Coat Pro ceramic coating. Clients will have us move their cars around depending on other services they may be having performed, or to help them out with logistics, flying out of town, going on vacation while we work on their car, etc.

Nice.

I should have reached out to you last week. I just put a layer of PPF on the entire front of my M3 and then 2 coats of Kamikaze Miyabi Coat and then 1 coat of Kamikaze ISM Coat. Took 4 days.

A LOT of work...but its done and beautiful.

Nice.

I should have reached out to you last week. I just put a layer of PPF on the entire front of my M3 and then 2 coats of Kamikaze Miyabi Coat and then 1 coat of Kamikaze ISM Coat. Took 4 days.
I'm in the Portland, Oregon area.
My best advice for finding competent detailers is to click the "FIND A DETAILER" button on the International Detailing Association's website. Here you will find detailers that take their careers seriously and are required to participate in continuing education to maintain their designation. Of course Google and Yelp reviews also help tell a story.

I'm in the Portland, Oregon area.
My best advice for finding competent detailers is to click the "FIND A DETAILER" button on the International Detailing Association's website. Here you will find detailers that take their careers seriously and are required to participate in continuing education to maintain their designation. Of course Google and Yelp reviews also help tell a story.

I actually did it myself. I actually put it on myself. Not difficult at all. Requires patience and time.

It was a lot of work, but its beautiful.

Last edited: