Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ownice device stopped working for me sometime last week. When I go to the usual url: autoaibox.link on the Tesla browser, it fails and displays an error( something about an unsafe/invalid url?). I tried to run a firmware update, but even that didn't work. Is anyone else seeing the same issue?

How are all the calls made with these devices with CarPlay? CarPlay is usually the clearest in my experience. Cars with BT even the most expensive cars aren’t as clear.
They all use Bluetooth for the audio channel so they are as good/bad as you have experienced with that. None of them use CarPlay audio. My opinion is Tesla Bluetooth is actually pretty good for calls and music.

Reactions: Mark M
The ownice device stopped working for me sometime last week. When I go to the usual url: autoaibox.link on the Tesla browser, it fails and displays an error( something about an unsafe/invalid url?). I tried to run a firmware update, but even that didn't work. Is anyone else seeing the same issue?
Same thing happened to me. Next time youre in the car, after your phone connects to the Ownice bluetooth, use your phone browser and go to 3.3.3.3 then update the software. Fixed it for me.

Does anyone know how to get a URL to show up as a favorite or whatever on the main browser screen? Mine used to show up but at some point I accidentally deleted it. Now I have to go to the favorites bookmarks and then click on the URL from there versus previously the home browser page showing it.

Really annoying that you can't simply set a home page url on the Tesla.

Same thing happened to me. Next time youre in the car, after your phone connects to the Ownice bluetooth, use your phone browser and go to 3.3.3.3 then update the software. Fixed it for me.
Thank you for the suggestion! I did as you suggested - which is to try running the update in the car(as opposed to my earlier failed attempts to run them at home). I don't know what else I did differently, but this time it was successful and firmware updated from 2.8.14 -> 2.8.15. Restarted the device and everything is back to normal now 👍

Reactions: pbcsd
Thank you for the suggestion! I did as you suggested - which is to try running the update in the car(as opposed to my earlier failed attempts to run them at home). I don't know what else I did differently, but this time it was successful and firmware updated from 2.8.14 -> 2.8.15. Restarted the device and everything is back to normal now 👍
I’m also Ownice T3 user. I just noticed that AirPlay connection doesn’t work anymore (error: unable to connect). CarPlay still works seamlessly. I tried to unplug the Ownice device and replug it, but AirPlay still didn’t work. I haven’t tried to reconfigure the connection (e.g. forget device). Anyone else experience the same AirPlay connection issue recently after the Tesla update?

Looks like I had to reconfigured all the connection again (I.e. forget device) and re-established all connection again. The AirPlay still didn’t work after I did all that, but for whatever reason, then it started to work again after I drove the car. Maybe the process of driving the car helped re-initializing the connection after the reset? No idea, but at least now it’s working.

Reactions: mylapore
Looks like I had to reconfigured all the connection again (I.e. forget device) and re-established all connection again. The AirPlay still didn’t work after I did all that, but for whatever reason, then it started to work again after I drove the car. Maybe the process of driving the car helped re-initializing the connection after the reset? No idea, but at least now it’s working.
After AirPlay has been working for a few days, then I again got the error “unable to connect to zj-airplay” today when I tried to connect to AirPlay. Ownice T3 CarPlay connection is definitely super stable (haven’t had any issue connecting or being disconnected), but AirPlay connection has been hit or miss. I tried to reconfigured the connection again to Ownice (forget device, etc), but I still got the same error.

Anyone else with Ownice T3 experience the same AirPlay connection issue and any tips to resolve the issue apart from the reconfiguring the connection from the start?

Is there one of these carplay devices that can use a sim card for internet connectivity? I have a ownice t3 and having to connect to my phone's hostpot everytime is a pain. Also, today I couldn't get my phone to unlock the car, and it was because the car didn't have internet connectivity after connecting to the WIFI of the ownice device.

Is there one of these carplay devices that can use a sim card for internet connectivity? I have a ownice t3 and having to connect to my phone's hostpot everytime is a pain. Also, today I couldn't get my phone to unlock the car, and it was because the car didn't have internet connectivity after connecting to the WIFI of the ownice device.
This doesn't sound right (about the lock). The Phone Key is bluetooth based.

1. You can set up an automation to enable Hotspot once T3 establishes connection with your Tesla.
2. Are you trying to unlock the car remotely via Tesla app? If there is an active connection between T3 and your Tesla, and there is no Hotspot devices present, you will not be able to unlock the car. It is not an issue if you are in close proximity - see response by chilman408.

1. You can set up an automation to enable Hotspot once T3 establishes connection with your Tesla.
2. Are you trying to unlock the car remotely via Tesla app? If there is an active connection between T3 and your Tesla, and there is no Hotspot devices present, you will not be able to unlock the car. It is not an issue if you are in close proximity - see response by chilman408.
Thank you for the suggestion. I was able to create an automation to turn on/off hotspot on the phone as carplay starts.
The remote unlock might have been a bluetooth issue, as it hasn't happend again. Not sure what was wrong though.
Lastly, my device is showing a new firmware version available, v2.8.17, but when I click on download, it looks like it's downloading but nothing happens afterwards. It currently has v2.8.15. I verified the device was connected to the hotspot on my phone as well. Anything else I should check?

After AirPlay has been working for a few days, then I again got the error “unable to connect to zj-airplay” today when I tried to connect to AirPlay. Ownice T3 CarPlay connection is definitely super stable (haven’t had any issue connecting or being disconnected), but AirPlay connection has been hit or miss. I tried to reconfigured the connection again to Ownice (forget device, etc), but I still got the same error.

Anyone else with Ownice T3 experience the same AirPlay connection issue and any tips to resolve the issue apart from the reconfiguring the connection from the start?
Same issue here unfortunately. Were you able to resolve it without resetting everything ?