Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for me, just genuinely looking for some more reviews about the others options, because the T2C reviews seem mixed, at best. I’ll probably hold off for now in the hope someone established on here grabs one first and can give their feedback.

I don’t see if any more responsive than T2C. What makes it nicer is not having to connect to my hotspot and the constant connection error requiring reboots with T2C. Just tap my browser and maybe Bluetooth if I had changed media sources. It just connects without issue.

Pic attached showing my install spot and on off switch.
IMG_0145.jpeg

As for me, just genuinely looking for some more reviews about the others options, because the T2C reviews seem mixed, at best. I’ll probably hold off for now in the hope someone established on here grabs one first and can give their feedback.
I placed an order for the Ownice unit - $73 shipped from Aliexpress - I’ll do a side by side comparison between it and the T2C.

“12 days delivery” so it’ll be a little while 😜

@Mandingo how's the power situation working for you these days? I recall you did the tow package connector so it'd light up when you got in the car then go off when you left.
Works well. I think the best way to describe it is it’s at a point where I don’t think about it any more - I get in the car and know the Autokit WiFi will appear in 45 seconds and when I get out and close the door my phone has disconnected from CarPlay.

Reactions: timeshifter
Works well. I think the best way to describe it is it’s at a point where I don’t think about it any more - I get in the car and know the Autokit WiFi will appear in 45 seconds and when I get out and close the door my phone has disconnected from CarPlay.
Sounds like nirvana.

I wonder if I could get Tesla to activate the software for the tow package without actually buying the tow package?

Sounds like nirvana.

I wonder if I could get Tesla to activate the software for the tow package without actually buying the tow package?
Looks like people have tried Tesla Won't Sell Its 'Trailer Mode' Software to Owners With Aftermarket Tow Hitches

I believe there are other switched 12v sources in the footwell(s), they will just require a little more work to tap into but once you know the wire you’re looking for it’s relatively easy to apply a clip like these https://www.amazon.com/MCIGICM-Connectors-Electrical-Insulated-Disconnect/dp/B081PVPZZM/ and you have your power.

If you look for “switched 12v” threads here in TMC they tell you how to find the wire you need.

Kinda/sorta off-topic, but related: Has anyone seen a tutorial on how to get to the MCU on a Model 3/Y, to replace its antenna? I know there's a Reddit thread out there that has one or two photos, but I haven't found anything that is enough to instill enough confidence to give it a try. That Reddit thread says that with enough effort, it's possible to get the antenna upgrade done without taking the whole dashboard apart. It seems that my CarPlay performance issues are related to my 2018 Model 3's antenna being in the passenger side-mirror. (i.e. works a lot better when the unit is literally up against the window)

I believe there are other switched 12v sources in the footwell(s), they will just require a little more work to tap into but once you know the wire you’re looking for it’s relatively easy to apply a clip like these https://www.amazon.com/MCIGICM-Connectors-Electrical-Insulated-Disconnect/dp/B081PVPZZM/ and you have your power.
Yeah, I saw that discussed before when it first came up in this thread. I believe some Obsessed Garage video was linked where they show how they found and tapped a 12v wire in the passenger footwell. My problem is that I'm terrified to pierce a factory wire. Can't be undone. Afraid that one day I'll need some warranty repair and Tesla will deny it because the vehicle was modified.

Yeah, I saw that discussed before when it first came up in this thread. I believe some Obsessed Garage video was linked where they show how they found and tapped a 12v wire in the passenger footwell. My problem is that I'm terrified to pierce a factory wire. Can't be undone. Afraid that one day I'll need some warranty repair and Tesla will deny it because the vehicle was modified.

And one of the main points for going with the T2C or TA solutions was no need to take your car apart to install it. They are not perfect solutions but not enough of a solution to start pulling things apart. @Mandingo perhaps you should try the Ownice unit?

They are not perfect solutions but not enough of a solution to start pulling things apart.
I don't know, when I read comments like this I'm tempted to take things apart:

@Mandingo perhaps you should try the Ownice unit?
He mentioned that he has one on order.

Interesting…I’ve been thinking about finding a 12v switched wire. I’ll have to find that. My usb switch works but it would be almost seamless to have it switched.
It is getting close to seamless - if I have the patience to wait for approx 1 minute before driving then CarPlay will just appear on the screen with no intervention required.

Oftentimes I’ll input my destination on my iPhone during that one minute (or find a podcast) and then it will switch over to CarPlay automatically by the time I’m done.

And one of the main points for going with the T2C or TA solutions was no need to take your car apart to install it. They are not perfect solutions but not enough of a solution to start pulling things apart. @Mandingo perhaps you should try the Ownice unit?
Since T2C is a commercial product, they really ought to have a warning on the product description for early model 3 & older S&X.

Since tesla android is open source, this weekend I’ll push an update to the requirements www page stating the warning…maybe it will get approved or re-edited but that’s how things are done in open source world. I can get that ball rolling 🤣.

Reactions: jerome8283
Make sure your phone wifi is not attached to the T2C. If you are, then your phone Internet access goes Wifi to T2C -> Bluetooth to Phone -> Cellular instead of directly Cellular. You need to "forget" the autokit wifi on your phone

Can you elaborate? If my phone isn’t connected to the autokit then CarPlay doesn’t work. But I have noticed that when there’s an issue, my phone displays the wifi signal in the upper right corner. When it’s smooth, it still shows as connected to the autokit wifi in my settings but the icon in at the top of my screen only displays 5G.

I’ve forgotten the wifi 200 times and this behavior comes back. If I toggle my wifi off and on it will sometimes work as expected.

It is getting close to seamless - if I have the patience to wait for approx 1 minute before driving then CarPlay will just appear on the screen with no intervention required.

Oftentimes I’ll input my destination on my iPhone during that one minute (or find a podcast) and then it will switch over to CarPlay automatically by the time I’m done.
My goal is to not have to take my phone out of my pocket. When I arrive home, I turn off the Ownice with my USB switch. When I leave, I switch the Ownice back on and by the time I've backed out of the garage, driveway, and drive away, I'm connected. Throughout the day, I don't turn it off with my switch and it's there immediately when I get back in the car.

So I'm almost there for seamless, but if I can get it to turn off with a switched 12v and break the connection to my phone (for those times when I'm still in range of the device) it would really be. I've got no problem checking that kick panel...I'm out of warranty anyway. :)