Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I even tried some tools like NetSpot and see what wifi networks/SSIDs are beeing broadcast in the area. Nothing from the Ownice.
So either the update bricked the box or something else disabled the wifi.

I now received a solution to revert to an older firmware 2.7.5
Instructions:

Firmware:

I’ll try it out in the evening or if someone wants to do it in the meantime

Last edited:
It worked!!! I re-flashed the firmware with the above software and image!
Now SSID is broadcast again!

PS: don't play with the Wifi settings. Leave it set to China. Any other country will break the wifi and it won't broadcast the SSID.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbcsd

PS: don't play with the Wifi settings. Leave it set to China. Any other country will break the wifi and it won't broadcast the SSID.

I have the latest Ownice firmware version installed and have changed the Ownice settings from China to the US without any problems with the WiFi/SSID. I still have the previous problem of the black screen given the Tesla FSDb update which is unrelated to the WiFi/SSID working - still waiting for a new firmware to solve this black screen problem for both the Ownice and the T2C. My assumption is that your previous firmware update process (before you downgraded) corrupted some how your WiFi/SSID.

Many thanks - these instructions resurrected my Ownice. I think I'll hold off any new software updates and just assume what I have now is it ... forever.

Took forever to download the zip file for some reason but it worked. Admittedly installing it was a bit unnerving especially with the "can't scan the file/sure you want to install from an untrusted source" warnings.

BTW if you have their attention in WhatsApp, would be great if they would add functionality around the ability to choose between a main phone and a secondary phone sort of thing!

Still waiting for my Tesla, but I have used a handful of aftermarket CarPlay devices in the past, so I have a few questions

• Since in a Tesla these CarPlay devices connect through wifi, does the Tesla loose connectivity to the internet? since it thinks its connected to a wifi network, but the wifi network cannot supply internet data

• I've had some issues with bluetooth audio routing, some devices claim to leave the audio to the car's built in bluetooth, but sometimes my phone would route the audio to CarPlay and I would get no audio or laggy audio at best.

• Do these experience intermittent connection issues, where the connection drops randomly?

• Are you able to set the CarPlay as a homepage in the browser in a Tesla?

Still waiting for my Tesla, but I have used a handful of aftermarket CarPlay devices in the past, so I have a few questions

• Since in a Tesla these CarPlay devices connect through wifi, does the Tesla loose connectivity to the internet? since it thinks its connected to a wifi network, but the wifi network cannot supply internet data

• I've had some issues with bluetooth audio routing, some devices claim to leave the audio to the car's built in bluetooth, but sometimes my phone would route the audio to CarPlay and I would get no audio or laggy audio at best.

• Do these experience intermittent connection issues, where the connection drops randomly?

Ownice user:
- Yes Tesla will lose connectivity. Ownice allows you to use the phone's hotspot, but it's been hit or miss with me as most of the time I still can't use the premium subscription on the Telsa
- Haven't experienced the lag/issues
- I've seen the connection drop once, but haven't used the Ownice for extended periods of time as of yet
- No, as far as I can tell you can't change the Homepage

I use Tesla Android Project. It is open source , google it for info.

1) yes the tesla looses internet connection but each device has methods to share it’s internet connection to the tesla. The device I use lets you plug in a phone in to the device usb or a usb lte modem stick. You can also plug in devices in to the Ethernet port. Most people really do not need the tesla to have internet connection since CarPlay does pretty much everything. When device is off, car has internet assuming you did not share internet from device to car.

2) Never had audio lag issue even during phone calls. The phone is connected to tesla Bluetooth. Audio doesn’t go through device so audio is “vanilla setup” .

3) Yes..perhaps once during a long drive if using wireless CarPlay. It usually reconnects automatically . My system supports wired CarPlay too, never had CarPlay disconnect when using wired.

4) Yes, I can.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Have you set up anything in particular on your phone (automations) and/or, do you use the hotspot function in the Ownice to attach to your phone that way?
Nothing special, no automations. I use my Iphone Hotspot to connect the Ownice box with the internet.
Also tried with a dedicated mobile hotspot and an Android Phone. Ownice was able to connect to all of them for internet access...

I use Tesla Android Project. It is open source , google it for info.

1) yes the tesla looses internet connection but each device has methods to share it’s internet connection to the tesla. The device I use lets you plug in a phone in to the device usb or a usb lte modem stick. You can also plug in devices in to the Ethernet port. Most people really do not need the tesla to have internet connection since CarPlay does pretty much everything. When device is off, car has internet assuming you did not share internet from device to car.

2) Never had audio lag issue even during phone calls. The phone is connected to tesla Bluetooth. Audio doesn’t go through device so audio is “vanilla setup” .

3) Yes..perhaps once during a long drive if using wireless CarPlay. It usually reconnects automatically . My system supports wired CarPlay too, never had CarPlay disconnect when using wired.

4) Yes, I can.
How to you set up Carplay as homepage in Tesla... I don't know of any setting on the Tesla which allows you to set up a homepage.

Nothing special, no automations. I use my Iphone Hotspot to connect the Ownice box with the internet.
Also tried with a dedicated mobile hotspot and an Android Phone. Ownice was able to connect to all of them for internet access...
Interesting, I haven't had any luck with the hotspot. Set it up with the Ownice, but still can't access my premium services on the Tesla. Wonder if it is not actually connecting (haven't checked to see if the device connects in my phone)