Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T2C and Ownice

I just updated my Ownice to the latest version - 2.8.11 - that came out some days ago. I have the latest Tesla FSDb and this latest version still does not fix the black screen. So will have to wait for the next update. I did noticed looking at the Ownice device itself that it connects to the iPhone Personal Hotspot faster (green light goes from blinking to solid) and that the Tesla sees itself connected to the internet. So for the folks that have Ownice but do not have the latest Tesla FSDb you could test this version to see if they improved the iPhone Personal Hotspot Connection that some has complained about.

The T2C already fixed this black screen problem for Tesla FSDb users with their version 23061210.1508.1 that came out on June 12.

So although the Ownice has better hardware and has come with features updates more often than T2C, T2C is better on fixing problems faster.

Last edited:
I think there's another thread on here for the Tesla Android Project so I'll go read more there for the DIY/Raspberry Pi solution.
For tesla android project, you can use the head unit reloaded android os app to get android auto. I have never used it but others have. I’d ask about this on the tesla android Reddit forum. Ps - tesla android runs a modified android OS 13 on raspberry pi cpu.

• Informative
Reactions: rub1k
I got the Kalos Kalosbox version blue from Amazon. I have no problem with connection or reconnection, but my problem is when using CarPlay, if I want to switch to Tesla interface for something, and minimize the Tesla browser, things like the satellite feature if navigating to a super charger or loading any new data, are unavailable as the wifi for the Tesla is linked to your CarPlay box and has no internet access/. Even through your box is using your phones 5G connection, it des not seem to pass through as a internet or tethered connection to your Tesla.

I got the Kalos Kalosbox version blue from Amazon. I have no problem with connection or reconnection, but my problem is when using CarPlay, if I want to switch to Tesla interface for something, and minimize the Tesla browser, things like the satellite feature if navigating to a super charger or loading any new data, are unavailable as the wifi for the Tesla is linked to your CarPlay box and has no internet access/. Even through your box is using your phones 5G connection, it des not seem to pass through as a internet or tethered connection to your Tesla.
Carlinkit T2C has solved this and your Tesla will be online with internet access

I got the Kalos Kalosbox version blue from Amazon. I have no problem with connection or reconnection, but my problem is when using CarPlay, if I want to switch to Tesla interface for something, and minimize the Tesla browser, things like the satellite feature if navigating to a super charger or loading any new data, are unavailable as the wifi for the Tesla is linked to your CarPlay box and has no internet access/.
tesla android project (TA) doesn’t have this issue. You can share the TA internet connection to the tesla vehicle. TA can get internet connection by plugging phone in to usb, any device with internet connection can be plugged in to Ethernet port, you can plug a lte cellular modem in to usb port. TA can get internet from phone via Bluetooth (ask in reddit forum if this works better now) but then you might need to use wired CarPlay.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
You need to enable Personal Hotspot feature to have your car get internet data. I am using it for Tessie.
BTW, the item you got is a carbon copy of Ownice Tbox.

You need to enable Personal Hotspot feature to have your car get internet data. I am using it for Tessie.
BTW, the item you got is a carbon copy of Ownice Tbox.
So I have that enabled on my phone, how do I get the box to use that? I thought I did that already as part of the setup of the box, otherwise how would the box be able to get any Apple Maps data or play songs? And if the box has it and the Tesla's wifi is connected to the box, why is it not passing through?

So I have that enabled on my phone, how do I get the box to use that? I thought I did that already as part of the setup of the box, otherwise how would the box be able to get any Apple Maps data or play songs? And if the box has it and the Tesla's wifi is connected to the box, why is it not passing through?
There are two connections:
1. Wi-Fi to the box which in turn Tesla connects with to enable CarPlay or AA. All data is provided by your phone (mobile data).
2. Personal Hotspot enables your Tesla to talk to the Internet. The setting can be found by clicking blue Tesla icon, where you have to provide your Hotspot's password.

i had an issue: all the connections were in place but the box just didn’t connect to carplay

i returned it and got a new one…worked right away…

if it really is hooked up properly you have to question if the box is malfunctioning

I always leave hotspot on, even prior to owning the T2C. I could see not having this on creating problems.

I believe WiFi is needed for CarPlay although you will not see an active connection. Wireless CarPlay relies on a direct wireless connection between your iPhone and the vehicle. It uses a combination of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Direct to establish a connection, but it does not utilize your phone's Wi-Fi network for data transfer. This means that even if your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network, wireless CarPlay will not use that connection. Instead, it establishes a separate wireless connection with the vehicle for CarPlay functionality. I have the T2C WiFi connection on my phone as well but again, I don’t see a connection when the T2C is in use.
as far as i can tell…carplay is largely just an interface that projects your phone onto the cars screen…

if for example you use T2C to initiate a podcast or phone call or getting driving directions…and you pull the power from the T2C …everything keeps playing without a problem…

essentially you are bluetooth streaming to the car’s audio system and carplay is providing a visual user interface…but all the action is really happening on your phone via its cell data connection and bluetooth to your tesla’s audio…carplay (and t2c) just puts a version of your phone’s user interface onto the cars screen (and lets a button in your car and the cars microphone talk to the Siri on your phone)

if you change the tesla audio source from your phones bluetooth to for example “tesla radio”…you won’t be able to hear whatever your playing/running on carplay…

Last edited:
Got it up and working on a Saturday, check reconnect automatically. Drove home using WAZE, even took a phone call. Worked great, I was really impressed!

Sunday morning it wanted to run the setup again, then it started working.

Monday morning it wanted me to run the setup again. I pulled the USB plug, I don’t have 5 minutes to run setup every day.

Would not recommend.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I've had the Ownice for about a week and it has been working great. I recently tried using the Tesla voice command but I keep getting "Connection Error". I have hotspot turned on and the car is connected to the network. Is this a limitation of using this device or is there anything I can do to fix it?

Ownice

So I realized that having the Ownice connected to a USB port in my car seems to cause issues with my phone app being able to remotely connect. Have been having issues for a few weeks with the phone app not working remotely, probably 80% of the time. Finally today, after being pissed off because I was at lunch for an hour and it was 96 deg F and I yet again could not access my car to turn on the AC before I left the restaurant, I decided to unplug the Ownice, and right after doing that, the phone app connects.

Anyone else notice this?

In other news, @oscarb FWIW, my Ownice has never properly connected to the hotspot despite trying everything.

I believe the problem is caused by the phone (mine is an iPhone) and the Tesla being on different WiFi networks. For the phone app to work it must be on the same WiFi network as the car or the car must be connected to the default Tesla (cell) network. Ownice introduces two more WiFI networks, one allows the phone (using Car or Android Play) and the car to connect, the other provides internet access to the car. So you either have to unplug ownice before you leave or one of the previous posts shows how to connect the ownice to a switched connector (which turns off when the car is off)

I use Ownice with Android. I use the basic setup without the mobile hotspot and don't do any screen mirroring etc. Once connected via Android Auto(AA), I am able to make and receive calls via the car's app without any issues. Phone connects to Ownice wifi and BT, and also connects to car via BT. Car connects to Ownice via ownice wifi.

My biggest issue with AA has been that it doesn't seem to process my voice instructions through the google assistant.