TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket Warranty

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Piney999, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Piney999

Piney999 Member

i am in the middle of a used Model S purchase that is out of warranty. I learned today that "Delta Auto Protect" does after market warranties for Tesla Model S. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

2. GJ79

GJ79 Member

Listening ??

3. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

I would never buy an aftermarket warranty unless it came from Carmax.

4. GJ79

GJ79 Member

And your reason is ??

5. Boourns

Boourns Member

I would be very cautious with an aftermarket warranty on a Tesla, especially so if the warranty is not written specifically for a Tesla or BEV. There are a few components that you wouldn't find on a "normal" car, so the warranty might not contemplate coverage for those parts. Not sure if the car you are looking at is still under the Tesla battery warranty, but that seems like one of the biggest risks with an aftermarket warranty.

6. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

Tread carefully. No experience with Delta, or Tesla, but in the rest of the world.

First, a lot of these 3rd party warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on. Do some research on them. A lot of them are filled with exclusions, conditions, allowances for "wear and tear", payment limits on reasonable and customary rates and parts costs, life limits on payouts, etc. These companies are in the business of paying out less than they take in.

Second, talk to the Tesla SC that you intend on using for service. Ask them if they will work with Delta, or have any experience. In the non-Tesla, dealer world, a significant number of service departments refuse to work with 3rd party warranties with regards to calling for a pre-auth, getting a credit card number, submitting parts for inspection, etc. You pay for the service up front, and handle your own reimbursement. Not unlike in the healthcare world, with delays in payments, requests for more information, and rejection of items not covered or deemed reasonable.

Honestly, I'm guessing you are going to pay a hefty premium for a warranty. Take the money instead, and put it in a bank account that you draw from when necessary. Consider yourself "self insured".

7. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I was offered an extended warrenty on my Rav 4 EV. When I called them, I asked what they covered.....
    Funny....
    1. We cover the engine.. 'It does not have an engine, will you cover the electric motor?' .... emmmm no.
    2. We cover the transmission... 'It does not have a transmission'.... oh!
    3. " Will you cover the Battery?" .... emmmm no we can't cover the battery
    4. "What will you cover on this car?"

Hangup from warrenty company!!!

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

This sounds like a great way to get screwed.

10. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Well, thanks for all the input. I am going to go with the "self-insured" route until something better comes along. fingers crossed!!

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

As a rule, aftermarket warranties are junk except for the Carmax one.

12. Piney999

Piney999 Member

+1