TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by kbecks13, Feb 13, 2018.

1. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I like the stock size on the front. It will help with aero and MPGe. Worst case is just a bit more wear on the rears with RWD. Worth it for the look! Great looking wheels!

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

More understeer would be a downside to me. I'm sure someone will try 265 in the front before I get mine though.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

No question. It will definitely promote understeer. No big deal under normal street use. An issue when pushing hard or on track.

4. Tdave

Tdave Member

Agree on all recent comments on staggered setup. I’m used to not being able to rotate from 8.5 years of my Roadster. I went through two sets of rears for every 1 set of fronts. And agree on more understeer. But on the plus side less chance of rear slip on max acceleration when cornering. And regarding that: the TC is much better tuned on the Model 3 than the Roadster when accelerating during cornering. In fact, in almost every respect the handling is better in the Model 3 than the Roadster (with its undersized tires and gobs of understeer that couldn’t be dialed out even with the adjustable shocks and anti-sway bars)

• Like x 1
  5. SemiS3XYR

SemiS3XYR Member

I love those VMRs. Just saw an old thread with black S and those graphite V710FF.
    Why don't they list prices?

6. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I think the wheels I took off my BMW will work on the Model 3. They are 19x8.5 with 5x120 bolt pattern, 30 offset and 72.56 center bore. I can get 64.1mm to 72.56mm rings and possibly spacers. Not sure if the 10mm offset difference is all that important.

Attached Files:

7. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Model 3 bolt pattern is 5x114.3.

• Informative x 2
  8. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

Ah man, that's too bad. I guess they're going on craigslist.

9. ahkim

ahkim Member

Love the wheels. Did you buy these direct from VMR? I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet. Are they a custom fit?

10. Tdave

Tdave Member

Yes, direct from VMR. My understanding is that they do final boring of the bolt pattern and center bore for each order. Both the V710 and V710FF are available exactly to spec for the Model 3.

Also, here’s the weight comparison I did as part of my research:

1BA365B0-9724-457B-8ED3-ACCF3EDA29D3.jpeg

• Informative x 7
  11. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

#31 03DSG, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    When You You Xue’s car was in Montreal getting new wheels at Fastco they weighed the optional 19” Sport wheel with the stock ContiPro RX. The combined weight was 48 lbs. The stock tire weighs 23 lbs. This leaves the optional 19” Sport wheel at approximately 25 lbs. with the TPMS/valve assembly. I’ll look for the link.

Edit post #53:

Model 3 Aftermarket Wheel Fitment

What’s most interesting is that the optional Tesla 19” Sport wheel/tire combo is actually 1 pound lighter than the stock Tesla 18” wheel/tire combo with the aero disc.

12. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Actually not too bad of weight for an OEM wheel. Most are pretty close to 30lbs or more, especially for cast wheels.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. Tdave

Tdave Member

Thanks for the 19” wheel weight correction. 25 lbs also agrees with what Tsportline says the 19” stock wheel weights. I’ve updated my spreadsheet. But they do also say the 18” stock wheel with aero cover is 23 lbs, 2 lbs lighter than the 19” wheel, which makes sense.

14. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

It’s interesting the stock 18” Michelin at 26 lbs is 3 lbs. heavier than the optional 19” ContiPro RX is at 23 lbs. It appears Tesla has done a good job at keeping the 19” wheel/tire combo as light as possible. Even 1 lb. lighter than the 18” combo (but not as aero efficient). I guess it’s to late to update the 19” wheel weight on the above chart? Possibly a mod could open it up for you?
    P.S. TSportline originally showed the 19” Tesla Sport wheel as a ‘speculated’ weight of 29.5 lbs. They corrected it to 25 lbs. after I sent them the above link.

15. mpbruin108

mpbruin108 Member

I wish I could lower my ride. I wouldn't ever make up my steep incline of a driveway. =(

16. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

17. Austindude

Austindude Member

So Tire rack has some 18" wheels I'd like to get for my 3 (should be about 4 weeks away, but no VIN yet) but they have an offset of 35 instead of 40, will this work? I know I have seen this question asked in some other posts but I don't remember the answer.

18. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

Tire Rack's fitments are relatively conservative so a safe answer is YES.

Our 19x8.5 and 18x8.5 both have a +35 offset which renders the entire wheel/tire sitting 5mm further out from the factory position which is just unnoticeable by 99.59568% of owners.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  19. Austindude

Austindude Member

Damn I was worried, but the last three digits to the right of the decimal, 568 gave me the confidence I needed! Thanks again for the reply.

20. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

#40 FlyNavy01, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Even though I've deferred my order for AWD/Performance, my wheels arrived today. Vorsteiner was kind enough to custom bore them out to the exact 64.1mm center bore size for the Model 3. So far I like them a lot for the value, plus they're even lighter than advertised... now to just get a car to put them on!

Specs for any lurkers who are interested:
    Vorsteiner VFF-103 19" Carbon Graphite wheels
    19x8.5" ET +35 (23.2lbs)
    19x9.5" ET +40 (22.0lbs)

The front wheels seem to be slightly heavier than the wider rears due to the increased back-pad thickness to clear front brake calipers. Rear wheels just use increased concavity to achieve the same effect. I just coated them in CQuartz CeramicPro to hopefully keep them staying clean. Let me know if anyone knows where to get a deal on 4 TPMS sensors.

IMG_5146.jpg IMG_5147.jpg IMG_5148.jpg IMG_5149.jpg

• Like x 4
    • Love x 4