Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the roadnoise is the lack of acoustic foam in the tires if you didn't specifically look for those. All Tesla OEM tires include them I think.

That's definitely part of it, but these are so damn sticky that you can hear an almost "velcro" type sound with them gripping the pavement. I don't really mind it because it reminds me that i'm driving a super fun/sporty car, but passengers might judge :)

how much clearance do you have to the caliper? I am looking at the 19 inch version and it seems to have lesser clearance.

There is a ton of clearance for the big brakes - although these pictures don't really convey that. It's a bit tighter on the front end in terms of the inside and top edge of the tire clearing the big aluminum main vertical control arm where the clearance seems a bit tight to begin with, and might be slightly tighter now (offset is slightly more negative with these wheels - maybe to keep them out of the airstream?). It might be dicey to put on 245/35 tires, which although they are only 3.5mm taller, would clearly reduce that clearance even more, and that size of the Michelin 4S can't be had with the Tesla recommended acoustic foam,
20181031_131446.jpg
20181031_131424.jpg
AFAIK.

Reactions: mcbarnet007
There is a ton of clearance for the big brakes - although these pictures don't really convey that. It's a bit tighter on the front end in terms of the inside and top edge of the tire clearing the big aluminum main vertical control arm where the clearance seems a bit tight to begin with, and might be slightly tighter now (offset is slightly more negative with these wheels - maybe to keep them out of the airstream?). It might be dicey to put on 245/35 tires, which although they are only 3.5mm taller, would clearly reduce that clearance even more, and that size of the Michelin 4S can't be had with the Tesla recommended acoustic foam, View attachment 348656 View attachment 348658 AFAIK.

What's your offset?

As Nando would say, "but dey rook fabulous. And I don't say dat to everybody. Nearly everybody, but not everybody."

Less comically, I am surprised at the increase in unsprung weight. I would have figured that forged wheels would cut 7-10 lbs off the stock wheels (which are coming in at a less than svelte 31.5 lbs at 20x8.5 in the P3DM setup) at the 20x9 size, while maybe only 3-5 lbs on the back 20x10.5 (but with the tires weighing 2 lbs more in front and at least 4 lbs more in the back).

I'd love to experience the stick in the corners with that setup! It must suck your eyeballs out!! Even with the stock 235/35-20 on aftermarket 20x9, it's impressive. I'm tempted to sacrifice some range to upgrade to 245/35-20's Michelin 4s, but those are not Telsa recommended. Shame.

Honestly, 285/30/20 is way too much tire for my LR. Looks nice though. Since that tire weighs 28 lbs according to Michelin. That means my forged wheel at 20 x 10.5 is about 28 lbs. So you save a few lbs but not 7 to 8.

Honestly, 285/30/20 is way too much tire for my LR. Looks nice though. Since that tire weighs 28 lbs according to Michelin. That means my forged wheel at 20 x 10.5 is about 28 lbs. So you save a few lbs but not 7 to 8.

Well that depends on the wheel. I'm saving 8.5 lbs a corner with the Advanti 20x9, and those aren't even forged. You should save big weight if you are paying for forged. Otherwise, frankly, you're not getting much value for your money (at least if you are comparing roughly the same size and width wheel). Obviously, if you go way wider, that's different, but even there, a forged wheel at 20x10.5 should weigh less than the stock 20x8.5. In your case, if the wheel weighs ~28 lbs, that's still ~4 lbs off the stock weight, while gaining two inches of width. Also obviously, it's all tradeoffs in terms of resistance to deformation on impact vs. saving unsprung weight. My preference is to go superlight, avoid potholes, and if necessary, get the wheel straightened by our local wheel shop. But others may want to put the compromise needle at a different location. As in all these intrinsic tradeoffs, YMMV :):)

Last edited:
Well that depends on the wheel. I'm saving 8.5 lbs a corner with the Advanti 20x9, and those aren't even forged. You should save big weight if you are paying for forged.

I think he's saying that the weight savings from the wheel are offset by the wider and heavier tires. I saved about 8 pounds with my flow formed wheels (between cast and forged) but gained 6-7 pounds from the wider tires!

Reactions: pkalhan
Dfwatt, do you remember the offset for your new wheels?

They are listed on the website as 40mm offset, but I am somewhat skeptical of that number. I haven't measured them precisely, but they appear no more recessed than the stock 35mm wheels - if anything less so. I'm going to pull one off and actually measure it, and will report back. While that difference isn't much, the top of the tire doesn't have a lot of clearance on the big central front A-arm. If they are 40, it might make any wider tire dicey. going out to measure . . .

I think he's saying that the weight savings from the wheel are offset by the wider and heavier tires. I saved about 8 pounds with my flow formed wheels (between cast and forged) but gained 6-7 pounds from the wider tires!

That's what I figured as well. The Advanti are also made with that process from what I understand. I'm at least as worried about loss of range as unsprung weight. What happened to your whr/mi after the Batman wheels and tires?

I took another drive and option came on. Thx to all that responded. Definitely took about 40 miles and over an hour of driving before they got recognized.

This is good to know. I swapped over to my 19” TST with Nokian R3 with Tesla TPMS sensors yesterday and drove around for about 30 minutes without a prompt from the screen to select a new wheel size. I wasn’t getting a TPMS warning, just no readings from the tire pressure screen on the lower left of the screen for vehicle status.

All my other wheels and tires (about a dozen diff sets) it took 5-15 mins of driving to reset for my Model S and Model X. Well, it’s a good excuse to go for a drive to my nearest Supercharger and hopefully the tpms reset.

Low and behold the system paired to the new tpms sensors after driving another 5 mins today.

Compared with the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the Nokian Hakka R3’s feel very slushy and reminds me of my Dad’s big 1974 Pontiac Parisienne. I’ll have to retorque the lugs tonight.

BTW, full disclosure, they Photoshopped some lowering -- it's an AWD P model and I am looking at the options for a mild drop (not as low as these photos). Also, the fronts, mounted and balanced, etc., came out 1 pound heavier than the stock 20's and the rears 3 pounds heavier each.

Also, chrome delete happening soon.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jedi2155
Because the Titan 7 group buy didn’t work out for the sizes I was interested in I ended up going my own direction.

My wheels are custom fabricated to the specs I wanted and took 6 weeks to manufacture from date of order.

I wanted a more aggressive stance while maintaining stock ride height. I went with a classic yet aggressive 10 spoke design. Wheel finish is brushed double dark tint so the details can be seen as opposed to black color.

Wheels are forged. Front wheel with tire weighs 47 lbs. Rear wheel with tire weighs 51 lbs.

VS Forged VS10
20x9.0 +32 on 245/35
20x10.5 +45 on 285/30
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

1D3B3C75-B89C-4CBF-99D0-C550793CE187.jpeg

0AFDC122-C661-4764-B81E-BCB3A8875A3A.jpeg

607B0C2D-CC3F-4604-989D-C93BC751607F.jpeg

1D4D5F27-22F6-4959-B863-9143F6EFF342.jpeg

873BA689-2A4E-4547-B46D-D4B64C6DE0B4.jpeg

B2F2BD50-B44E-4A31-A62A-6E0A8C064D2E.jpeg

55127DF7-C34B-4F52-8B37-98DCB0652B2D.jpeg