Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pearl White Performance Model 3 with Space Gray 18" TST Flow Forged Wheels

pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-space-gray-18-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-forged-1.jpg
pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-space-gray-18-inch-tst-turbine-style-wheels-forged-4.jpg

Reactions: follow.johnny
Thanks so much!

I'm waiting for a call back from him. I'm also looking into VMR wheels although i believe they may be cast and am considering if the upgrade is worth the additional $1k that I'd be spending (+ more if i were to go for coating)

Any other thoughts that would sway my decision one way or another?
Another option is to call Oscar at the Tire Rack and get the Advanti which is a pretty lightweight flowcast wheel at 23.6 lb. This gets you out the door for just under 1500. The wheels are not nearly as nice however as the vorsteiner but you will have to use a radical 275 / 30 tire at the rear. All depends on whether you want a squared or staggered setup. The neat thing about the vorsteiner option is that other suppliers like for example getyourwheel.Com can make a 20 by 9 that you can put on the rear if you decide after a while that the staggered setup is too radical. And that since you're not locked into it and you get vorsteiner wheels at four hundred bucks a side which is simply an Untouchable deal. No question that the staggered look - pictured above - is untouchable from an aesthetic standpoint

Another option is to call Oscar at the Tire Rack and get the Advanti which is a pretty lightweight flowcast wheel at 23.6 lb. This gets you out the door for just under 1500. The wheels are not nearly as nice however as the vorsteiner but you will have to use a radical 275 / 30 tire at the rear. All depends on whether you want a squared or staggered setup. The neat thing about the vorsteiner option is that other suppliers like for example getyourwheel.Com can make a 20 by 9 that you can put on the rear if you decide after a while that the staggered setup is too radical. And that since you're not locked into it and you get vorsteiner wheels at four hundred bucks a side which is simply an Untouchable deal. No question that the staggered look - pictured above - is untouchable from an aesthetic standpoint

Thanks for the great info. If the VFF's were black I think i'd have jumped on them as I'm running with a matte black wrap right now and am unsure if i want the saran gray color to be a strong focal point of attention

For those going with a square setup in 20’s, what wheel width and tire size are you guys running?

What size tires would you guys recommend with a 20x9 setup?

Most run 20X8.5 or 20X9 all around depending on what is available for that wheel.

245/35/20 is what's most commonly used on the 20X9. 255/35/20 is uncommon size since it's about 2 sizes larger than stock.

Most common we setup is 235/35/20 for 20x8.5 and 245/35/20 for 20X9.

Reactions: ONEDVSMOFO
I just ordered a set of the Vorsteiner VFF-107's for my LR RWD from EVS. I want to get a set of Pilot Sport 4s'. I was thinking 245/35/20 for the front and 285/30/20 for the rear. Is the correct fitment or do you recommend a different size? What is a good recommendation for a set of TPMS sensors? Are the $100 ITM Uni-Sensors I see on eBay any good? Thanks in advance.

I just ordered a set of the Vorsteiner VFF-107's for my LR RWD from EVS. I want to get a set of Pilot Sport 4s'. I was thinking 245/35/20 for the front and 285/30/20 for the rear. Is the correct fitment or do you recommend a different size? What is a good recommendation for a set of TPMS sensors? Are the $100 ITM Uni-Sensors I see on eBay any good? Thanks in advance.

245/35/20 and 285/30/20 is perfect. Better suits the 9/10.5 sizing much better. Some shops do 275/30/20 in the rear but I personally don't like the rear tire smaller than the front, looks out of place. The ITM sensors work just fine, they should be a 433mhz sensors. ITM also has an optional gunmetal or black valve stem you can get.

Flush for non PUP and for stock height. A little tucked in in my opinion for a lowered Model 3.

we posted one a few months ago.

43614471340_96c7e2f9c5_c.jpg
I frankly think their offsets are just about right. You don't want the wheels sticking out into the Airstream at all. That really kills your range. And you're already talking about a significantly wider rear tire so the fact that it is slightly tucked in is actually to your advantage. Slightly changing the scrub radius towards negative on the rear is a non-issue most of the time

245/35/20 and 285/30/20 is perfect. Better suits the 9/10.5 sizing much better. Some shops do 275/30/20 in the rear but I personally don't like the rear tire smaller than the front, looks out of place. The ITM sensors work just fine, they should be a 433mhz sensors. ITM also has an optional gunmetal or black valve stem you can get.

I might disagree with you on a 245 / 35 issue. First of all the 235 / 35 tire is Tesla specific and it's actually wider than any other 235 Tire. If you dig out tread and section width data (Tire Rack's website) you will see that the only difference is that the 245 / 35 tire is actually taller which is undesirable from a number of standpoints. We've had several sets of the Tesla specific 235/35 Tire mounted on two different 20 by 9 Wheels. It's actually a perfect fit. I might offer the same disagreement around your recommendation of a 285 / 30 Tire. I will post pictures of our setup with this exact set of vorsteiner wheels which is with the Tesla specific tires. I don't think you want to put on a bigger tire than a 275 / 30 in any case. It's just too much tire for the car.

Attachments

• 20190109_145159.jpg
    20190109_145159.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 170

I would strongly recommend against the idea of going to a non-tesla specific Tire. First of all as I've said in a previous post the 245/35 Michelin Pilot 4S is in fact no wider in terms of its tread than the Tesla specific 235/35 Tire. Tesla had Michelin bake in several features, some of which we know about, but there may be others that we don't know about, to make the tire work more optimally with the model 3. The features that are baked into the Tesla specific tire that we know about are first of all the acoustic foam and secondly the slightly wider than indicated tread. Other possible changes may include changes to the tread and sidewall to allow the tire to run properly at 42 to 44 lb inflation pressure without an abnormal crown wear pattern which is what typically happens when tires are overinflated. This is way higher regular pressure than almost anybody else runs these tires at.

If you want confirmation of all this you can go to Tire racks website and pull up the specs for that tire. You will see numerous 235 section width Pilot 4S tires, and you will note that there is some interesting differences in the one for Tesla. It's a pound heavier which is probably due to the acoustic foam but it's not clear, and other changes in the tires design and construction may be contributing to that extra pound of weight as I think the acoustic foam probably doesn't weigh that much. It's also slightly wider. I also believe just having inspected the 275 / 30 tire that this is the biggest tire that you really want to put on a Model 3. It's absolutely humongous first of all, and the 285 / 30 Tire actually is slightly larger in terms of rolling diameter. Putting larger rolling diameter tires on your car is going to affect its acceleration because you're actually dropping the gear ratio. And it's significantly heavier.

For all these reasons I strongly disagree with what Josh is recommending. I will post pictures shortly demonstrating that the 275 / 30 tire fits brilliantly on the vorsteiner 10.5 inch wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Looking forward to the pics!! Are you referring the Tesla spec 275/30? Which according to tire rack also has a wider tread width than the regular 275/30. Tire rack is the only one that lists tread width, as there is no standard method to measure it...and they use they’re own method. But it would be interesting to see a Tesla spec and regular tire side by side.

I would strongly recommend against the idea of going to a non-tesla specific Tire. First of all as I've said in a previous post the 245/35 Michelin Pilot 4S is in fact no wider in terms of its tread than the Tesla specific 235/35 Tire. Tesla had Michelin bake in several features, some of which we know about, but there may be others that we don't know about, to make the tire work more optimally with the model 3. The features that are baked into the Tesla specific tire that we know about are first of all the acoustic foam and secondly the slightly wider than indicated tread. Other possible changes may include changes to the tread and sidewall to allow the tire to run properly at 42 to 44 lb inflation pressure without an abnormal crown wear pattern which is what typically happens when tires are overinflated. This is way higher regular pressure than almost anybody else runs these tires at.

If you want confirmation of all this you can go to Tire racks website and pull up the specs for that tire. You will see numerous 235 section width Pilot 4S tires, and you will note that there is some interesting differences in the one for Tesla. It's a pound heavier which is probably due to the acoustic foam but it's not clear, and other changes in the tires design and construction may be contributing to that extra pound of weight as I think the acoustic foam probably doesn't weigh that much. It's also slightly wider. I also believe just having inspected the 275 / 30 tire that this is the biggest tire that you really want to put on a Model 3. It's absolutely humongous first of all, and the 285 / 30 Tire actually is slightly larger in terms of rolling diameter. Putting larger rolling diameter tires on your car is going to affect its acceleration because you're actually dropping the gear ratio. And it's significantly heavier.

For all these reasons I strongly disagree with what Josh is recommending. I will post pictures shortly demonstrating that the 275 / 30 tire fits brilliantly on the vorsteiner 10.5 inch wheels.

Well I ordered Pilot Sport 4s' in 245/35/20 (PN 22358) and 285/30/20 (PN 44926), but they haven't shipped yet. EVS had quoted them with 245/285's as well. What does everyone else think?

Also don't they only make the tesla version in 235/35/20 and not 275/30/20 so wouldn't you only have the tesla version in the front?

*Nevermind I see that they do make a tesla version in 275/30/20. Which wheel was this made for?

Last edited:
Also don't they only make the tesla version in 235/35/20 and not 275/30/20 so wouldn't you only have the tesla version in the front?

*Nevermind I see that they do make a tesla version in 275/30/20. Which wheel was this made for?

Not true check out Tire racks website. There is a Tesla specific 275 / 30. People who are recommending or thinking about getting a 285 / 30 Tire, have you guys ever actually seen that tire or the 275? They're humongous and a 285 at least in my opinion is too much tire for the car. Keep in mind the design principle of trade-offs. Tire width trades off ride and unsprung weight for slightly more lateral grip. A 275/30 tire is already 40 cm bigger than the stock tire. That's a huge change in and of itself. I don't have my tires mounted up yet so I can't show you a picture but I know for a fact that the 275/30 tire sits nicely on the vorsteiner rear rims, and the 235/35 fits perfectly on the 20 by 9. Plus the slightly larger rolling diameter in going to a 245/35 and 285/30 means you are going to lose a little bit of acceleration off the line. Probably not a lot but a little.

Last edited:
Not true check out Tire racks website. There is a Tesla specific 275 / 30. What are the people who are recommending or thinking about getting a 285 / 30 Tire, have you guys ever actually seen that tire or the 275? They're humongous and a 285 at least in my opinion is too much tire for the car.

Well I guess I'm trying to decide between 235/35/20 & 275/30/20 or 245/35/20 & 285/30/20. In both cases these would be the standard Pilot Sport 4s' (non Tesla version). I feel like I agree that 285 may be a little wide, but I'm also concerned 235 maybe be a little narrow for a 9" wide wheel. Photos would be great if anyone has them in these setups. Thanks.

In regards to 9” front and 10.5” rear. Based on Michelin site. The recommended tires all fit except 275 doesn’t fit a 10.5”. Copy paste from Michelin site:

— in regards to Front
235/35/20
RIM WIDTH RANGE (MIN/MAX)
8" - 9.5"

— in regards to Front
245/35/20
8" - 9.5"

— in regards to Rear
275/30/20
9" - 10"

— in regards to Rear
285/30/20
9.5" - 10.5"

Not true check out Tire racks website. There is a Tesla specific 275 / 30. People who are recommending or thinking about getting a 285 / 30 Tire, have you guys ever actually seen that tire or the 275? They're humongous and a 285 at least in my opinion is too much tire for the car. Keep in mind the design principle of trade-offs. Tire width trades off ride and unsprung weight for slightly more lateral grip. A 275/30 tire is already 40 cm bigger than the stock tire. That's a huge change in and of itself. I don't have my tires mounted up yet so I can't show you a picture but I know for a fact that the 275/30 tire sits nicely on the vorsteiner rear rims, and the 235/35 fits perfectly on the 20 by 9. Plus the slightly larger rolling diameter in going to a 245/35 and 285/30 means you are going to lose a little bit of acceleration off the line. Probably not a lot but a little.

Honestly. Visual inspection is speculative. I prefer to stay within tire manufacturer recommended specs. This will depend on the brand of tire.

Reactions: pkalhan
Honestly. Visual inspection is speculative. I prefer to stay within tire manufacturer recommended specs. This will depend on the brand of tire.
It is fine to be conservative but it's absolutely wrong to suggest that my basis for an opinion here is speculative - I've done this before. Additionally,. it's actually section widths that determine the outer limit of viable rim size. And a long appreciated tuner trick in terms of optimizing handling is to put the tire on the widest Rim that it can go on. In some instances that's an inch or more than the section width but this tire is still wider than the rim that it's going on in terms of its section. That's a conservative mount, irrespective of whatever information you may have found on the web. And more importantly and critically there are multiple guys running a 275 / 30 on this rim without incident. If you don't believe me call Haywood at EVS.

Last edited: