Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some concerning news about the wheels Haywood that EVS should be aware of: 1) their weight is radically different from what you quoted - 26 lbs for the fronts 27 for the rears vs. the 21 and 22 lb numbers quoted for me (which would have negatively effected my decision to buy if I had known this at the time); 2) even more troubling, the center bore appears to have been set to be virtually IDENTICAL to the hub diameter, instead of .1 mm larger (which is what it is supposed to be). This meant that I had to sand and wire brush the center hub area of each wheel to even get them to fit on the hub at all. One of them was almost impossible to fit, and I was concerned at one point that I would not get it flush on the rotor mounting surface, even with the immense pressure possible from the lug nuts, and at one point I was not sure that I could either mount, or dismount, the wheel - fortunately, I was able to work it back and forth to the point where it released, and I was then able to sand down the center bore to the point where it could be mounted. I have not road tested them yet.

These issues are serious and should be reviewed with your management. I'm sure you were not aware of them. But you should be.

On the plus side, the tires easily fill out the wheel, without any stretch, and look just gorgeous even if the wheel itself was a b---- to put on. It was a difficult mount in terms of the tire too - the technician was pretty skilled and finally got the tire on the wheel after a bit of a battle. The rears are just MASSIVE and I couldn't imagine putting an even larger tire than this thing on the car!

GMAIL has crashed (what else is new?), so no way to get pictures off of my phone. Will have to finish posting those manana!

I would have sent them back to be bored out to specs...instead of sanding them down. What if they’re out of round and have vibration issues? Sucks about the weights too...not much lighter than stocks.
You running the Tesla spec 275? Got pics of the foam in both tires?

Looking forward to pics! I’ve got my vsforged on order....living through these posts while I wait lol.

Reactions: logan
I just got the 275/30 out to measure. The specs on the Tire Rack website are just plain wrong. The section width on this tire is a full foot - 12 inches in other words. More than enough for 10.5 inch wheel. This becomes part of the evidence along with the fact that the 235/35 tire is wider than listed that Tesla requested Michelin to bake in some significant structural differences from the standard Pilot 4S tire.

That's good to hear. Looking forward to seeing your pictures of how those 235/35 and 275/30 look on your Vorsteiner 20x9 and 20x10.5. Btw, what offsets do you have on your Vorsteiner staggered set?

TE37 (fake rotas)
19x9.5 believe +35 (Stickers were removed)
19x10.5 believe +35 (stickers were removed)
275s all the way around.
I bought them used. For a pretty good price. Not exactly ideal set up but if doesn't work I will buy the right size rims and flip these. Need to wait for my coil overs from MPP to really see if they will fit once I lower car, I hope they tuck in a bit. You can see from the phots that front pokes out, might need to roll front fender but hopefully not. Fingers crossed.
View attachment 368775 View attachment 368776 View attachment 368777 View attachment 368778 View attachment 368779 View attachment 368780
I am looking to get 19x9.5 too in the front and wondering if you have any rubbing on the upper fender during suspension compression. I am putting a 265 tire though.

20190115_090803.jpg
20190115_090816.jpg
20190115_090829.jpg
20190115_090803.jpg
20190115_090816.jpg
20190115_090829.jpg
That's good to hear. Looking forward to seeing your pictures of how those 235/35 and 275/30 look on your Vorsteiner 20x9 and 20x10.5. Btw, what offsets do you have on your Vorsteiner staggered set?

38 mm on the front and 45 on the rears. They sit really nice and tucked-in just a bit. Wouldn't want them sticking out anymore. I'm going to do some range testing because I know exactly what the car would do at 70 miles per hour at 70 degrees down here in Paradise (Southwest Florida). Front end feels about the same but the rear is definitely firmer and with a sensation of more heft at the rear suspension. I'm transitioning from both a lighter wheel (Advanti which came in at 23 and 1/2 pounds) a smaller tire at the rear so it's almost 8 lbs heavier and about 2 lbs heavier than stock. But the rear tires are monstrous. I can't imagine anybody running a wider Tire. The wheels actually seem to eliminate the sense that you get with a stock wheel that the wheels are somehow too large for the car. These seem to actually look smaller and be just the right size for the car even though they're identical in diameter. Next stop on the modification train is dropping some unsprung weight by going to lighter rotors and rotor hats from racing brake in California
20190115_090803.jpg

Some concerning news about the wheels Haywood that EVS should be aware of: 1) their weight is radically different from what you quoted - 26 lbs for the fronts 27 for the rears vs. the 21 and 22 lb numbers quoted for me (which would have negatively effected my decision to buy if I had known this at the time); 2) even more troubling, the center bore appears to have been set to be virtually IDENTICAL to the hub diameter, instead of .1 mm larger (which is what it is supposed to be). This meant that I had to sand and wire brush the center hub area of each wheel to even get them to fit on the hub at all. One of them was almost impossible to fit, and I was concerned at one point that I would not get it flush on the rotor mounting surface, even with the immense pressure possible from the lug nuts, and at one point I was not sure that I could either mount, or dismount, the wheel - fortunately, I was able to work it back and forth to the point where it released, and I was then able to sand down the center bore to the point where it could be mounted. I have not road tested them yet.

These issues are serious and should be reviewed with your management. I'm sure you were not aware of them. But you should be.

On the plus side, the tires easily fill out the wheel, without any stretch, and look just gorgeous even if the wheel itself was a b---- to put on. It was a difficult mount in terms of the tire too - the technician was pretty skilled and finally got the tire on the wheel after a bit of a battle. The rears are just MASSIVE and I couldn't imagine putting an even larger tire than this thing on the car!

GMAIL has crashed (what else is new?), so no way to get pictures off of my phone. Will have to finish posting those manana!

Has anyone else that ordered from EVS had the same issue? I ordered the last set and am waiting for them to ship. It's definitely disappointing if these weigh 5 lbs more than advertised.

View attachment 369044 View attachment 369045 View attachment 369046 View attachment 369044 View attachment 369045 View attachment 369046

38 mm on the front and 45 on the rears. They sit really nice and tucked-in just a bit. Wouldn't want them sticking out anymore. I'm going to do some range testing because I know exactly what the car would do at 70 miles per hour at 70 degrees down here in Paradise (Southwest Florida). Front end feels about the same but the rear is definitely firmer and with a sensation of more heft at the rear suspension. I'm transitioning from both a lighter wheel (Advanti which came in at 23 and 1/2 pounds) a smaller tire at the rear so it's almost 8 lbs heavier and about 2 lbs heavier than stock. But the rear tires are monstrous. I can't imagine anybody running a wider Tire. The wheels actually seem to eliminate the sense that you get with a stock wheel that the wheels are somehow too large for the car. These seem to actually look smaller and be just the right size for the car even though they're identical in diameter. Next stop on the modification train is dropping some unsprung weight by going to lighter rotors and rotor hats from racing brake in California View attachment 369044

What are you using for lug nuts?

Hi folks,

Can anyone advise on new tires to support a set of 20" rims I'll be getting. It certainly seems like there is quite a range on tire price, with the original pilot sports being at ~$300+ a wheel.

Could anyone recommend any other more budget friendly tires which would fare well in Los Angeles, with limited driving in mud/snow/dirt?

Thanks!

Also, what exactly did you use to sand with and how long did this take?

I think this is an isolated case that we are working on. We have other members with a Tesla Model 3 Performance install these and they fit fine. We have installed them locally on multiple cars that are non performance without issues as well. As far as the weight is concerned it was given us by Vorsteiner when they had pre-production wheels. Vorsteiner will be updating the weight information.

What are you using for lug nuts?

Got some pretty well-made Dorman nuts with a lock nut and key for only thirty bucks at AutoZone.
I mostly used a wire brush on a grill with a little fine grit sandpaper. Only needed to take off probably less than a tenth of a millimeter of surface. It was either that or send all four wheels back at a cost of a hundred and fifty bucks shipping round trip at least. Way too easy a choice in that sense. Fix it yourself for nothing in 3 minutes a wheel or all that grief. If it required more sanding say the half a millimeter I wouldn't have even tried. But I could tell that the barrel diameter was roughly equal to the hub Centric Mount area so I just needed to clean the Hub and then take a little bit of material off the wheel and it went on, although extremely snuggly.

I would have sent them back to be bored out to specs...instead of sanding them down. What if they’re out of round and have vibration issues? Sucks about the weights too...not much lighter than stocks.
You running the Tesla spec 275? Got pics of the foam in both tires?

Looking forward to pics! I’ve got my vsforged on order....living through these posts while I wait lol.

A lot of hassle in this and some disappointment about the unsprung weight but aesthetically they are absolutely a homerun.
20190115_090829.jpg

Reactions: 30seconds
I think this is an isolated case that we are working on. We have other members with a Tesla Model 3 Performance install these and they fit fine. We have installed them locally on multiple cars that are non performance without issues as well. As far as the weight is concerned it was given us by Vorsteiner when they had pre-production wheels. Vorsteiner will be updating the weight information.
I think the key operating word here is "non performance". The "non performance" ones are not going to have any issues because there is no hub lip. The performance models have thinner rotors so there will be a hub lip that the wheel manufacturer has to take into account and machine out the wheel to accommodate.

I think the key operating word here is "non performance". The "non performance" ones are not going to have any issues because there is no hub lip. The performance models have thinner rotors so there will be a hub lip that the wheel manufacturer has to take into account and machine out the wheel to accommodate.

As mentioned in my previous post, Performance models have had the same wheels installed with no issues too.

True that. However it was not the extra lip that was improperly machined it was the actual major hub center that was simply set too tight and too close to the 64 mm or whatever the diameter is of the central Hub itself. If that lip had not been machined in I would not have even tried to mount them.