Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 M3 LR RWD has almost 20K on it, the mobile service guy recommended to replace the 2 rear tires. The OEM tires are apparently NOT the best to have. I'm thinking of getting Michelin Pilot Sport 4S since I wanna stick with the brand. I want to know what's the advantage of going to 245 vs. existing 235 tires. I'm having curb rashes on the right side.
Also regarding the warranty, I think the tires have a warranty of 45K or 55K, does it mean they will replace it for me for FREE??
In the search for Michelin PS4S for my Telsa M3 I went to a local tire store, on the phone they said they could get it from Fresno in 2 days, when he saw the car he said Tesla puts some foam in original tires, the tires they want to order might not come with it. An assistant to the owner was telling me with the foam in case of flat tire you could still drive without problem. Later i went to local Costco to confirm what I heard, I was told the foam is called acoustic foam and it helps the noise reduction. Can someone confirm if this is true and If I can install the tires without the foam?

In the search for Michelin PS4S for my Telsa M3 I went to a local tire store, on the phone they said they could get it from Fresno in 2 days, when he saw the car he said Tesla puts some foam in original tires, the tires they want to order might not come with it. An assistant to the owner was telling me with the foam in case of flat tire you could still drive without problem. Later i went to local Costco to confirm what I heard, I was told the foam is called acoustic foam and it helps the noise reduction. Can someone confirm if this is true and If I can install the tires without the foam?
It's the latter. The foam in no way does not help with flats. It's for noise reduction.

That's a lot of misinformation in one communication. The acoustic foam has nothing to do with running flat. Additionally it's the least of the modifications in the Tesla spec Tire which is 1 lb heavier with a broader tread and probably a bit more traction due to the tread being .25 inch wider vs other versions of the tire. We also suspect that Tesla changed the tread compounding a bit making the center ribs out of a harder compound so that it would tolerate High inflation pressures and not show abnormal Crown wear. Get the tire that is Tesla spect. That's the smart move. It was modified to work better on the car than the standard Pilot Sport 4S

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801
So, got new wheels on the way and ordering some tires today. Obviously need to take them to a tire shop and have them remove the old, mount the new tires on rim and put on car. Problem is, I wanted to buy some TPMS...but nobody has the Bluetooth in stock. Called Tesla, they don't answer the phone at the service department, say to email them, so I did, 5 days later still nothing.

Anybody have the shop take the tpms off the original aero 18s and transplant to new wheel and then put the tires back on the old wheel, guess it needs new valve stems with no TPMS to make them whole/usable in a sense somewhat?

Any other issues. Happen to have a local Tire Kingdom that has been pretty good with a few other things related to other cars right across from my neighborhood. Want to ensure nothing gets hosed.

Also, going to lower the car....so likely shouldn't need an alignment with just a wheel swap and when I get my lowering setup, take it to that shop who does Tesla/EV stuff to have them install and align?

Thanks

I bent 2 20" Performance wheels and blew out 2 PS4S tires this weekend. I'm looking to buy either a set of 20"x8.5" +35 Martian wheels and use the stock size tires 235/35ZR20 or go down a size to a Titan-7 TS-5 19"x9" +35. If I do the 19", would a 255/35ZR19 PS4S fit without rubbing? Or, should I stick with 245/40ZR19?

What's the verdict? 20" Martian or 19" Titan-7? Other sizes from both companies aren't in stock. My commute is 60 miles/day New England roads. I do a few long trips, so range is a factor but not a deal breaker. I have a set of snows on wheels for the cold season.

Thanks for your time!

So, got new wheels on the way and ordering some tires today. Obviously need to take them to a tire shop and have them remove the old, mount the new tires on rim and put on car. Problem is, I wanted to buy some TPMS...but nobody has the Bluetooth in stock. Called Tesla, they don't answer the phone at the service department, say to email them, so I did, 5 days later still nothing.

Anybody have the shop take the tpms off the original aero 18s and transplant to new wheel and then put the tires back on the old wheel, guess it needs new valve stems with no TPMS to make them whole/usable in a sense somewhat?

Any other issues. Happen to have a local Tire Kingdom that has been pretty good with a few other things related to other cars right across from my neighborhood. Want to ensure nothing gets hosed.

Also, going to lower the car....so likely shouldn't need an alignment with just a wheel swap and when I get my lowering setup, take it to that shop who does Tesla/EV stuff to have them install and align?

Thanks
I just checked Tire Rack; their site shows TPMS in stock (could deliver to me tomorrow in So Cal).

Tesla or any competent shop should be able to align you when you lower the car. There’s no magic.

I bent 2 20" Performance wheels and blew out 2 PS4S tires this weekend. I'm looking to buy either a set of 20"x8.5" +35 Martian wheels and use the stock size tires 235/35ZR20 or go down a size to a Titan-7 TS-5 19"x9" +35. If I do the 19", would a 255/35ZR19 PS4S fit without rubbing? Or, should I stick with 245/40ZR19?

What's the verdict? 20" Martian or 19" Titan-7? Other sizes from both companies aren't in stock. My commute is 60 miles/day New England roads. I do a few long trips, so range is a factor but not a deal breaker. I have a set of snows on wheels for the cold season.

Thanks for your time!

Go with @SignatureWheel if your budget allows. They got a better spec, lighter, more design, more finishing, and only take about 4-5 weeks to build.

Thanks for your time!
I’d take Tessy’s advice if you can. Either way, if you go 19x9, then 245/40/19 will give you more sidewall and be closer to the stock size than 255/35/19. Neither should rub with an offset of +35.

Reactions: ncinc99
I just checked Tire Rack; their site shows TPMS in stock (could deliver to me tomorrow in So Cal).

Tesla or any competent shop should be able to align you when you lower the car. There’s no magic.
It is Bluetooth, 2021 TPMS. Nobody has them. The place that will be doing the lowering also works with a local alignment place, so that is covered. Just wondering if/when I get the wheels swapped/TPMS and put the 20s" on, should be OK to drive it for awhile until I get the suspension and schedule getting to the shop to lower/align it then?

Also, should i buy some pucks for the local shop? Wondering if places like Tire Kingdom has the experience and know, even if I tell them, that it requires a special jack point/method?

Thx

It is Bluetooth, 2021 TPMS. Nobody has them. The place that will be doing the lowering also works with a local alignment place, so that is covered. Just wondering if/when I get the wheels swapped/TPMS and put the 20s" on, should be OK to drive it for awhile until I get the suspension and schedule getting to the shop to lower/align it then?

Also, should i buy some pucks for the local shop? Wondering if places like Tire Kingdom has the experience and know, even if I tell them, that it requires a special jack point/method?

Thx
Yes they’re 2021 bluetooth, and yes Tire Rack has them.

It won’t hurt your tires or significantly increase wear to drive them after swapping over while you schedule the suspension work & alignment. I’d get pucks to be on the safe side if you have a shop lifting your car; they’re cheap - I have these.

Reactions: techlogik
Hi guys, new member here.

I have a 2021 P3D coming next month and just getting my wheels sorted out. Any help is appreciated.

I have a set of Stance SF07 wheels from my last car. 20x9 +30 / 20x10.5 +45 wheels with 245/35/20F 285/30/20R tires.

Would these fit without rubbing on a lowered P3D? Also would the offset/fitment get messed up with the weird hub bores rings I would need to make them fit?

Thank you in advance!